SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

by RCBH928 Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:22 am

weren't these available on MAME already?
btw, is the arcade similar hardware to Dreamcast? Like how Neo-Geo was to arcade? That was amazing for that time period , Dreamcast was released in the days of PSX just do a graphics comparison and you will see. But I think it hurt it really bad delaying its release a full year after Japan as PS2 was launched 6 months later and it had an integrated DVD player :?
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:55 am

I believe the dreamcast is similar to the arcade board. Problem is the dreamcast disc drive is to slow reading the data and you get long load times and slowdown occasionally. The dreamcast came out to early and should've been beefed up to me, or should've just been the saturn instead. 1/2 generation consoles are doomed from the get go, like the turbografx.
marurun

by marurun Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:45 am

stickem wrote:I believe the dreamcast is similar to the arcade board. Problem is the dreamcast disc drive is to slow reading the data and you get long load times and slowdown occasionally. The dreamcast came out to early and should've been beefed up to me, or should've just been the saturn instead. 1/2 generation consoles are doomed from the get go, like the turbografx.

Sega would never have survived as a hardware maker regardless. The Dreamcast was supposed to save them from bankruptcy but didn't. The TurboGrafx actually did really well in Japan for NEC and especially Hudson, so I don't know it's a good comparator. That noted, the Dreamcast had a strong us launch and might have fared better here had it not been saddled with Sega Japan's financial problems.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:18 am

marurun wrote:
stickem wrote:I believe the dreamcast is similar to the arcade board. Problem is the dreamcast disc drive is to slow reading the data and you get long load times and slowdown occasionally. The dreamcast came out to early and should've been beefed up to me, or should've just been the saturn instead. 1/2 generation consoles are doomed from the get go, like the turbografx.

Sega would never have survived as a hardware maker regardless. The Dreamcast was supposed to save them from bankruptcy but didn't. The TurboGrafx actually did really well in Japan for NEC and especially Hudson, so I don't know it's a good comparator. That noted, the Dreamcast had a strong us launch and might have fared better here had it not been saddled with Sega Japan's financial problems.

I agree with most of this. Arcades and their games were on the way out, so that didn't help. Yes turbo was successful in Japan, problem is the genres it was best at were low on the popular list over here. I mean sure there are other reasons, just what comes to mind for me. I love them both now if course, but at the time...
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:08 pm

marurun wrote:

its ironic since they did most things right including adding a future proof modem and online play, and that launch titles were the best at the time, I wonder why so many developers were backing it(maybe has to do that its the same Arcade games?) . I am guessing something on the financial side didn't make sense, like selling at lose , or making bad investments (Shenmue. What were they thinking?)

thats amazing to know that the big box arcade game can be matched by the hand carried Dreamcast. Loading times were not too bad on Dreamcast, was it? Going room to room in RE on PSX was horrible! Albeit for the time, just playing in 3D was mind boggling and loading is an accepted downside!
IrishNinja
64-bit

by IrishNinja Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:58 pm

finally got another unit setup with GDEMU, its been a blast trying out fan stuff, prototypes & expensive imports. should have a dreampi setup to get it back online before 9/9, waiting on a dreamshell as well but looking forward to a lot of dreamcast this year!

just wish that fan project for an improved VMU would get going, and maybe a translation on segagaga
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:39 am

So is any1 into DC emu? Amazing to see how great these games look today with some emu options and scaled up to HD.

Worth noting Retro Achievements did add DC support & the list of games with Achievements is growing:
https://retroachievements.org/gameList.php?c=40

Miss my OG DC so may be diving into the library again soon via emu.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:02 pm

Hey so- I also was in this camp of "there isn't anything on the dreamcast worth playing that hasn't been ported" for a long long time. Sold my dreamcast. Years went by. Then I started seeing translations pop up and some deep dreamcast cuts that I wanted play. Then the Atomiswave arcades got ported over to the dreamcast, and I was like HECK IT LETS GET ANOTHER ONE. As an aside- I did the same thing with my N64 at the time. I have not reinvested into the n64. Still have a few games, but yikes. Not a lot on that platform.

Picked up a Dreamcast after putting together a short list of games. A lot of the dreamcast's games are kind of- I don't know how to put this exactly.... hot memes? Just wild stuff. I also started to get into not only translated games, but japanese games that have a low language barrier. Dreamcast library opened up in a way I didn't see before.

I haven't gotten a ton of time to play these yet. I'm kind of trying to get through a ps3 backlog first.

Aside from the Atomiswave arcade ports- Here is my list. Mostly deep cuts.
Some games aren't necessarily deep cuts, but I just haven't gotten around to them when I owned a dreamcast.

Confidential Mission
    Outtrigger
    Cannon Spike
    cosmic smash
    dynamite cop
    illbleed
    Ready 2 Rumble Boxing + Round 2
    Sword of the Berserk: Gut's Rage
    TWINKLE STAR SPRITES
    Zombie Revenge
    18 wheeler
    blue stinger
    blue submarine no 6
    BOKOMU NO TATSUJIN
    D2
    Death Crimson OX / 2
    elemental gimic gear
    FRAME GRIDE
    LACK OF LOVE L.O.L.
    NAPPLE TALE
    record of lodoss war
    Segagaga
    seven mansions
    THE LOST GOLEM

Also- I will say- the dreamcast is *FANTASTIC* modded out. Get yourself a ODE, new fan, new battery and the thing not only works well, but is whisper quiet. That was one of the things that drove me crazy with it. The dreamcast is so loud. Not anymore! :twisted:

BTW- almost none of these games are "must plays." Instead I kind of consider them gaming oddities. For example? Should you play blue stinger? Sure. Should you play resident evil first because its a better game? Probably.
opa
128-bit

by opa Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:05 am

^I actually enjoyed Carrier more than Code Veronica LOL

Jagosaurus wrote:So is any1 into DC emu? Amazing to see how great these games look today with some emu options and scaled up to HD.

Worth noting Retro Achievements did add DC support & the list of games with Achievements is growing:
https://retroachievements.org/gameList.php?c=40

Miss my OG DC so may be diving into the library again soon via emu.

I recently installed flycast but haven't had a chance to mess with it. I'll try some games this weekend if I get a chance. All the emulation of DC games I've seen videos of look really smooth. I'm glad the DC finally has a good emulation scene going.
marurun

by marurun Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:24 am

And I enjoy Blue Stinger more than RE.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Sega