What happened to Tux's Dreamcast downloads? :(

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: What happened to Tux's Dreamcast downloads? :(

Post by CD AGES »

I really like the unique RDC releases... like the English translation of Puzzle Fighter, the version of SFII that uses the remix soundtrack that Overclock Remix did, or the "offline" version of SFIII.

Yes! And don't forget the like of JoJo's BA FMS (1st first ever ISO release) and exclusive works like CVS Millenium Collection, SF3 Triple Threat and SF3 Arcade Edition. The latter of the 2 games being a huge reason why I support them! All their releases have amazing high quality boxart design and a majority of releases are usually accompanied by reviews.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Can someone briefly explain the ReviveDC project? CD AGES you might have some great insight, since you've contributed to the site.
comradesnarky

Post by comradesnarky »

Genesis Knight wrote:According the ReviveDC guys, Tux actually lied about some of his rips and stole work from others. Check out the NFOs on their releases for more info.

This is true. I'll go into some more detail here. I'm the head of the ReviveDC Project.

Basically, Tux's claims of sourcing GDIs and always doing his own work were very much…not true 99% of the time. Occasionally in his NFOs he would admit to taking Echelon's files, but most of the time he didn't.

Off the top of my head, here's releases he took work from:
Dino Crisis: The scene release downsampled video in order to fit a 75 minute CD-R. CRCs match between the scene release and Tux's. Dino Crisis fits perfectly to a 700mb CD-R with no downsampling. Claimed to have downsampled himself.
Record of Lodoss War: This was outright thievery. This game has some seriously mean copy protection in it. We missed it on the ReviveDC release and had to nuke it and we still haven't cracked it. He claimed that the PAL version didn't have the protection and that he took his files from GDI, but he really took the files from another scene release and just said it was his.
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis: This was just sloppy work. He took all of Echelon's audio (and didn't mention he did), then dummied the game out by 85mb. He could've easily spread the downsample over the audio and done better than Echelon's audio. We also have better audio encoders now.
Silver: Same story as Dino Crisis. Scene was done for 75, the game fits fine on 80.

I know there's some other games we've caught him on. His optimizing was sometimes… not so optimized as well. For example, Resident Evil 2 is a WinCE game so it has an EXE file it runs. Somehow Tux missed this, and the EXE file was in the innermost portion of the disc. He said he was having trouble optimizing it because the laser kept returning to the inner area of the disc… but he could've just moved out the EXE.

atreyu187 told me his Crazy Taxi was also taken from another scene group, which is kind of ironic considering all of his selfbooting guides focus on Crazy Taxi.

He did some other pointless things like downsampling just because he thought the video bitrate was too high. I have no idea why the hell this would be done. He did this to several games when the video plays without lagging as it is and would have fit the disc.

For ReviveDC we only source from GDIs and we dump from GD-ROMs where possible. We don't do any pointless downsampling, and we really dig into the games to save room where we can. For example, on our Resident Evil 3 release we found we could kill 100mb of data from the game by hardlinking. This let us leave the audio untouched and putting the video into VBR there was no noticeable quality loss, versus the DCRes version where the audio was monoed and videos downsampled. We're basically what DCRes claimed to be, but we're actually doing it. Fun fact: I originally started ReviveDC on SOR in May of 2008, before DCRes. DCRes came along a few months after with kind of a similar name.

Oh, one other thing we've got on DCRes; 45000 data/data format. This mimics the LBA of the original GD-ROM and is generally a more reliable selfboot format. Some Dreamcasts don't play audio/data 11702, which is what the DCRes releases are.
Last edited by comradesnarky on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ReviveDC Project Founder
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Can someone briefly explain the ReviveDC project? CD AGES you might have some great insight, since you've contributed to the site.

Yes correct. My contributions primary objective strictly lie in providing the RDC blog with in depth reviews of their releases and providing fresh and useful related content to blog. Some really exciting content is in the works for the blog so please stay tuned in that regard. Outside of that I've only provided my input into some of their projects as well some quality testing and research (Offline Edition's new soundtrack audio, and Triple Threat's custom Move List and Arcade Edition gameplay changes to be specific) to make sure their efforts are of the highest quality which they aim constantly to uphold. As far the groups main purpose and objective, I'd rather let Comrade answer such question if that's ok.

EDIT: he beat me to the punch :lol:
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Very cool. I know there's always that debate about ripped games burned from an iso decreasing the life of a Dreamcast. Are the rereleases of your games safe to use on an older machine, and do they pose any threat of harming the motors in the machine?

I'll be sure to start following the blog when I get home!
comradesnarky

Post by comradesnarky »

Blu wrote:Very cool. I know there's always that debate about ripped games burned from an iso decreasing the life of a Dreamcast. Are the rereleases of your games safe to use on an older machine, and do they pose any threat of harming the motors in the machine?

I'll be sure to start following the blog when I get home!

You have to take into account that the GD-ROM just really wasn't the most reliable piece of equipment ever. In my opinion, it's perfectly safe to use backups. I've been using backups on the same Dreamcast for over 10 years now and I've never had a problem with it. I believe the manufacture date on my Dreamcast is August 99 as well. I have had to do the laser adjustment before, but it's such a minor fix that I would say there's really no worry in using backups. Our games are always dummied within 2 minutes to using the full 80 minutes of the disc (with the exception of NEO4ALL games because the games will fail to load), so all of the data is on the outermost, fastest loading area of the disc.
ReviveDC Project Founder
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

That's reassuring! I really enjoy there's a community out there who has the same passion and gusto for the Dreamcast. I've read through a lot of the blog and I am quite impressed! :D
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Goodtimes!
Such encouraging feedback makes it worth while to continue the blog with fresh reviews and new content. I'm one of the more recent members started contributing to the group as a freelance reviewer and I'm one of the few that still finds some time to write reviews and see their importance to coincide alongside RDC's releases. It's always fun and incredibly satisfying to work with a group that is as passionate for the source material as onself!
atreyu187
24-bit

Post by atreyu187 »

You will not find any better releases then what we do hands down. We release games no one else has done nor defeated protection. Me and snarky do 95% of all our work and have tested well over 120 games that all run perfect. We even do NEO4ALL, AES4ALL (with prefetch data we make ourselves), Bleem and emulation releases from our own sources. We don't need others we function just fine doing it all from scratch. And BTW our Jojo is the only one with VGA and we also did the long lost treasure of Sonic Adventure Limited Edition, we were the first to dump it for TOSEC and the first to selfboot the game as SGMX's rip was a BETA with watered down 22k audio and downsampled video. We use 32k stereo and untouched video for starters. We aim to be the new standard and be truthful about all our ork instead of acting as if it is our own and stealing files form others. Just check MD5 hashes and time stamps of DCRes stuff against Echelon/Kalisto rleases as hashes and time stamps don't lie.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

This is kinda getting a bit confusing with who does what and all.
Where would y'all recommend to get some well-made DC games [made to fit on CD-Rs]? :?:
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)