How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Dreamcast gaming going on?

Post by RCBH928 »

Curlypaul wrote:
I think you are right, it was on the cusp of games changing into the modern era but still a heavy emphasis on arcade ports and stuff that tied it to the past.

I'm still loving my new Dreamcast, got sucked into Tomb Raider 4 which I only loaded up to check it worked. Great game, I wish they'd do a new one in the same style

I think the arcade port thing is because the arcade boards were similar to the Dreamcast or something like that which made porting arcades to Dreamcast easily, kind of like the Neo-Geo I think.

The arcades from 97-2002 or so are unique and iconic of that era. I didn't realise there was a tomb raider 4 or might have forgot about it!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah, the Dreamcast & the Namoi shared a common architecture.

Sega 16 arcade & Genesis/MD also share a lot of similarities which allowed by those amazing console ports of Golden Axe, Shinobi, Altered Beast, etc.

Fun fact going the opposite direction ... the Sega arcade platform following the Naomi, Chihiro, was based on OG XBox architecture.

... really solid video here where MVG talks about how the OGX was in many ways the DC successor... including patched Chihiro games running on XB hardware.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lWGiHgTdLBc ... IECMiOmarE

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

so i broke down & installed the SD card setup to the extra unit (had a good one for discs already) and after finally finishing moon remix, i'm excited to finally play l.o.l.

wish me luck, still holding out for a segagaga fan translation to tie up!
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

This section is kinda dead :cry:

I have been really enjoying my Dreamcast the last couple of weeks.

Yesterday I played some Marvel vs Capcom 2, Power Stone and Power Stone 2.

I really suck at MvC2 now. I can't play this game at all. I feel like I need an arcade stick, but I always used to use a controller fine. The d-pad sucks, but I guess a bad toolman always blames their tools, so it's probably just me being no good.

Power Stone is still awesome, but the sequel feels too chaotic to me. I always preferred the first game, as Power Stone 2 became more of a Smash Bros style party game. It's great for what it is, but playing single player is tough since it's really hard to see what's going on and trying to fight your opponents (it has some cool modes and a decent amount of content, in theory). Power Stone 1 just feels better to play, at least if you are playing alone against the cpu, even though technically its single player mode is more simplistic with less to it.

I also recently picked up these gems. All of them are games I have wanted for a long time, so it feels great to finally get them:

Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
marurun

Post by marurun »

I actually really agree with you about PowerStone. It was just hitting arcades when I was in Japan and I was pretty good at it, unlike about any other competitive game.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I never played it in the arcades. I loved it on the Dreamcast though. I remember I would push myself to beat the arcade mode on the hardest difficulty and try to do it without using continues. I unlocked everything too, but I discovered yesterday that I must have deleted my original save at some point, because it's no where to be found. I had a file from 2005 and a file form 2007, but neither had been played too much or had much unlocked.

I seem to remember the consensus back then was the second game was better, but I don't remember many magazines really properly acknowledging that the gameplay was very different. I preferred the more straight up fighter style of the original, with the weapons and interactive elements of the environment complimenting it, rather than being the focus.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Awesome Dreamcast pick-ups, Reprise! I'd like to focus more on the console, as it's one of my favorite systems, but I haven't picked up much for it lately.

I also really enjoyed the first Power Stone game. My buddy was gifted a Japanese Dreamcast a few months before the US launch, as his mom picked one up for him while on a trip to Hong Kong. Power Stone was one of the games she brought back, and we definitely had a lot of fun with it, and it left a big impression on me.

I actually never played the second Power Stone! It's too bad to hear the gameplay was changed. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was released a little over a month before Power Stone 2, and the former was much more popular with my social circle at the time. That became our fighting game to hang out and play on weekends for a long time.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Thanks Note! I go through phases of enjoying different consoles and picking up a few titles.

Yeah, I enjoyed Marvel vs Capcom 2 too. It blew my mind at the time how many characters you could play as.

I wish I could get the North American version. There was one on Ebay UK I was going to buy and was waiting until pay day. Pay day came and I was hesitating to buy and then when I decided to, it had gone and someone else had bought it. I have the PAL version, but it has a glitch when playing through VGA. Most PAL games have a 50hz and 60hz selector before the game starts, but as VGA uses 60hz, it is supposed to skip that option and boot straight into 60hz when using VGA. MvC2 doesn't do that. it still brings up the 50hz or 60hz options and both are glitched. 60hz runs too fast and 50hz runs at the correct speed, but seems to stutter and runs internally at 50hz meaning the sound goes out of sync.

Anyways, I just got these two this week. Both were very cheap (£10 each, so seemed worth it). I have owned the PAL Sega Rally 2 since the early days of the console, but I wasn't sure if it also had 50hz issues, so figured I may as well get the Japanese version. I also have the Japanese version of Virtua Fighter 3tb on the way, as that's a PAL version that definitely has issues (the timing is off when played in 60hz). Plus it has the Project Berkley disc and as a huge Shenmue fan, I have always wanted that.

marurun

Post by marurun »

What is the beast and/or cheapest-without-sucking way to get Dreamcast amenably onto a modern TV?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

marurun wrote:What is the beast and/or cheapest-without-sucking way to get Dreamcast amenably onto a modern TV?

Kaico HDMI adapter is the absolute cheapest-without-sucking way to get a Dreamcast connected to a modern TV. It uses the VGA output, so you won't be able to play non-compatible games, but that does only amount to a small number of titles. And some non-compatible games will work via VGA with the use of a boot disc.

Avoid other HDMI adapters like Pound cables, as they suck.