New Forum Themes/Styles Feedback

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: New Forum Themes/Styles Feedback

Post by o.pwuaioc »

racketboy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:37 pm
o.pwuaioc wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:28 pm Nick: I can flesh out my thoughts on Milk more after work.
Sure, I'm down for that!
So this is only about the light theme. The dark theme isn't quite so "dark," but does feel better to use.

Obligatory these are just my subjective opinions about the style, so de gustibus non est disputandum and all that jazz.

I tried version 3.3. The first thing that caught my eye was the huge wasted space on each side of the forum, as if it was meant for smaller screens (like iPads)? This goes away when I expand to only half my screen or I increase the font size, which I probably would do anyway, so it's not a big deal.

The "corporate" effect comes out chiefly in the color, or lack thereof. It's a lot of gray: light gray background that gives off a hospital or cubicle space. The rotating polygons would have to go - it's generic filler that evokes that barebones, "sleek" minimalism so many offices are fond of. And the accent colors are all very safe. They don't really change the style at all. The default I would even call "facebook blue" (or Fedora blue): safe sky blue that just recedes into the background. It's not complementary with dark themes either.

I think these reasons make it feel more "corporatized," though something like hospital fits as well. It's not brash or exciting. There's no edge. Great for a forum about an established company, less great for a small niche community centered around classic video games.

As I mentioned, I don't hate it, and by pointing this out it can't be helped that these features feel exaggerated. I wouldn't be bothered if this was the theme, but I do get that corporate, sterile, old-hat feel to it.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Good notes -- but do remember, the colors are the easiest things to adjust, so I advise not to focus on colors :)
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

If you want to go retro use the theme 1978 like I did for my school's space sim site: https://mms-boss.net/

Seriously, I like the different look of milk. It gives off a pleasant atmosphere vibe and is a nice mix of the old forums with newer social apps.
Keep a dark theme it aways looks great with the RacketBoy blue and white logos.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

That's actually a pretty cool theme! Not necessarily a good fit for us, but I can see the appeal, for sure!
Thanks for the feedback though!
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

racketboy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:44 pm That's actually a pretty cool theme! Not necessarily a good fit for us, but I can see the appeal, for sure!
Thanks for the feedback though!
We use that theme since we use Apple ][ clones (Lasers) for our medical and life support software on old green CRTs during the mission so that theme fit right in. I would like to see milk in action on another site to see if it's just looks good or does it perform well too.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Regarding theme colors:

I have the pro silver dark version which works well. I was wondering if a black and grey Version is in the works.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Big update: I have Milk installed as a Theme/Style option.
I am still tinkering on settings / customizing, but you can try it out, in its current configuration by selecting it in your user options.
It even has a toggle for light and dark mode on the top.

I realize all the forum-specific menu options are up top, but I'll be working with a developer to getting those types of things lowered and having the main header match that of the Wordpress part of the site like the old forum.

The goal is also to have that customization added to the ProSilver themes as well.

Once we're futher along, I'll decide which will be the default theme. However, you'll be able to choose your own personal preference, when signed in.

Thanks for your patience!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

So far, there are still things I like better on ProSilver Dark.
The index listing is more compact is one thing that really sticks out to me as a positive for ProSilver.
I'll keep making notes and I invite you to do the same in a constructive manner.

I can't promise to fine-tune everything, but I will work to refine best I can in a cost-effective manner.
marurun

Post by marurun »

So, I like the colors in the Milk theme except the combination of font style and color. Basically, the text is all too dark (not enough contrast) and too thin. It actually kind of hurts my eyes to try and read stuff. The extra empty space initially threw me off (I'm on desktop right now) but I don't think it's a problem. It was just surprising because of how compact prosilver is by comparison. But yeah, the font style and color combination have very poor visual contrast and are not a very good combination (IMO) re: usability. Probably not going to preview it on mobile since I already know the text is problematic for me.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Here are some articles on dark UIs which mention minimum contrast ratios for text color that might be helpful to provide some additional context. I should also note that some eyes are very sensitive to blue light, and while it works fine in large blocks, in fonts it can be troublesome if too dark.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/dark-m ... rs-issues/
Legibility
Three main issues make it difficult to read in dark mode:

Overly thin fonts
Overly thick fonts
Poor color contrast
Thin fonts can be easily “swallowed up” by a dark background — particularly for individuals with poor eyesight. This is true even of pure white fonts on pure black backgrounds.

Thick (or bolded) fonts can seem to “bleed” into the background as the user tries to read. Generally, light fonts on dark backgrounds tend to appear bolder than dark fonts with the same font weight on light backgrounds.

Fonts without sufficient color contrast with the background are obviously difficult to see and read in both dark and light modes.
https://dubbot.com/dubblog/2023/dark-mode-a11y.html

https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understan ... nimum.html
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.