Game Recommendation: Similar to Ultimate Risk

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Game Recommendation: Similar to Ultimate Risk

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Hasbro put out a PC version of Risk back in 1997 that featured a new version, called Ultimate Risk, that was actually a more advanced strategy game, featuring generals, weather conditions, rebellions, etc. This is different from the PS1 version, which I understand is just a straight port of the original game.

Can recommend a game similar to this?

Obviously, Total War and perhaps Civ are the big ones, but with Ultimate Risk, it's more about pre-selected tactics (Total War would be way better if it included that, rather than solely going into battle or relying only on AI), and less about building. It's pure turn-based war strategy without worrying about managing trade routes or individually moving each battalion. Love those other games, too, but sometimes I crave a simpler experience.

At the same time, most of the Risk clones lack those added details. It's all just troops and territories without battle tactics, dysentery, or sandstorms that wipe out whole platoons, after which rebel commanders arise. So it has much more depth than your Risk clones.

Is there anything comparable to this, especially something I can play on Linux or emulate via Wine? The only way, as far as I understand it, to play my copy of Risk is to install DOSBox, then install Windows 95, and then finally install the game. I don't really want an emulated operating system, just a way to quickly fire up a strategy game.

(Alternatively, if there's an easier way to do this, please do let me know.)

Here's a video of the game in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCGJfe1tgMw

The guy has a few different campaigns.

And here's a contemporary review: https://web.archive.org/web/19980513184 ... /2a92.html
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: Game Recommendation: Similar to Ultimate Risk

Post by Limewater »

I can't recommend a good alternative, but I'll mention the existence of DOSBox Game Launcher (DBGL).

You'll still have to jump through all of the hoops and install Windows 95 under DOSBox, but DBGL will help make it easy to actually launch the game when you want to play it, instead of having to manually load your DOSBox environment, launch Windows, and then find the game.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Game Recommendation: Similar to Ultimate Risk

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Limewater wrote:I can't recommend a good alternative, but I'll mention the existence of DOSBox Game Launcher (DBGL).

You'll still have to jump through all of the hoops and install Windows 95 under DOSBox, but DBGL will help make it easy to actually launch the game when you want to play it, instead of having to manually load your DOSBox environment, launch Windows, and then find the game.

Thanks! I wasn't aware of it, so I'll certainly give it a try.