SA-1 / SDD-1 To Maskrom Snes Wiring help (Translation)

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
hidden0
16-bit

SA-1 / SDD-1 To Maskrom Snes Wiring help (Translation)

Post by hidden0 »

Hello ,

I really tried searching internet only solution i can find was The Real Phoenix boards and they seems perfect and cheap for the job but problem is importin them and customs to my country is near to impossible for now.

I really want to convert my Street Fighter Alpha SFC copy to English and convert my Mario RPG as well.
Are there any sources or help i can get help may be manually wiring or pcb which i can get made from China since it's the only and easiest option for me.
Ziggy

Re: SA-1 / SDD-1 To Maskrom Snes Wiring help (Translation)

Post by Ziggy »

If you are able to order PCBs from China, then you should be able to get The Real Phoenix boards made up. Just download the boards from OSH Park, then you can get them made from whatever board house you choose.

SA-1 - https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/O4HAE3B0

S-DD1 - https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/SHXMKux8

I think the two above boards might download as a .brd file, which is EAGLE's PCB file format. Some board houses accept EAGLE .brd files directly. If the board house you want to use does not accept .brd files, no problem. Just download EAGLE if you don't already have it (there's a free version availble) and load the .brd file then export the GERBER files. There should be plenty of tutorials on YouTube if you need help doing this.

If you cannot order those boards, you can always wire in a 27C322 EPROM pin by pin. It's very tedious and annoying, but this is how everyone made such repros back before small adapter PCBs were easily obtainable. If you go this route, I would recommend 30 AWG wire. Although it wouldn't hurt to use a slightly heavier gauge for Vcc and Vss. Here's the wire diagram. I believe both SA-1 and S-DD1 carts use the same mask ROM pinout. Just try and keep the wire lengths as short as you can. You could always replace the "air wires" with an adapter board some time in the future.

Here's the wire diagram...

hidden0
16-bit

Post by hidden0 »

Ziggy587 wrote:If you are able to order PCBs from China, then you should be able to get The Real Phoenix boards made up. Just download the boards from OSH Park, then you can get them made from whatever board house you choose.

SA-1 - https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/O4HAE3B0

S-DD1 - https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/SHXMKux8

I think the two above boards might download as a .brd file, which is EAGLE's PCB file format. Some board houses accept EAGLE .brd files directly. If the board house you want to use does not accept .brd files, no problem. Just download EAGLE if you don't already have it (there's a free version availble) and load the .brd file then export the GERBER files. There should be plenty of tutorials on YouTube if you need help doing this.

If you cannot order those boards, you can always wire in a 27C322 EPROM pin by pin. It's very tedious and annoying, but this is how everyone made such repros back before small adapter PCBs were easily obtainable. If you go this route, I would recommend 30 AWG wire. Although it wouldn't hurt to use a slightly heavier gauge for Vcc and Vss. Here's the wire diagram. I believe both SA-1 and S-DD1 carts use the same mask ROM pinout. Just try and keep the wire lengths as short as you can. You could always replace the "air wires" with an adapter board some time in the future.

Here's the wire diagram...

That’s a great help i did not know that we can download the projects from oshparks.
I just found out the Street fighter zero which is a sfc sdd1 cartridge this oshpark adaptor wont fit . So if i want to use it i have to modify it in some way i have no exp is designing boards but i wanna try modify this board to fit in street fighter zero for translation purposes.
Which program or resource you recommend for that.
Or is there any Sa-1 to tssop48 adaptors available just like retro stage gsu and cx4 adaptors or if that adaptor can be used in sa1 or sdd1 as well may be with some modifications ? Because that might fit and i think maskroms pinout are the same throughout snes cartridges .
Thanks again.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

GSU and Cx4 boards use 8-bit mask ROMs, which is what standard SNES carts use. But S-DD1 and SA-1 use 16-bit mask ROMs. So no, you couldn't use a GSU or Cx4 mask ROM adapter on an S-DD1 or SA-1 cart.

There is another S-DD1 adapter on OSH Park...

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/4wlzaE9B

This one pushes the 27C322 to the right, while The Real Phoenix one pushes the EPROM to the left. So it might work on the Street Fighter Alpha 2 cart.

If you wanted to make your own adapter, you would have to use CAD software such as EAGLE or KiCAD. There are other options, but these are the two most popular for hobbyist. There are tons of tutorials for both EAGLE and KiCAD available on YouTube.
hidden0
16-bit

Post by hidden0 »

This adaptor looks promising ill get them made from china and thanks for the gold info you gave me about the 16bit chip in sa1 and sdd1 cleared alot of things in my mind thanks alot ill start working-on this solution.

If there is any Sa1-sdd1 to tssop solution would love to learn and design that to for the community.

Also does gsu/gsu2 use the same pinout and 8bit maskroms ?
Can i use the cx4/gsu adaptor from retrostage or Arthrimus on GSU2 boards as well ?
For yoshi’s island language conversations?

Thanks alot
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

For an S-DD1 or SA-1 TSOP solution, you would need a 16-bit memory. They are currently available, but operate at 3.3v while the SNES supplies 5v. It's possible to use them, but you have to use a level shifter. I've come across a picture of one someone made once, but it was just a pic (I didn't see any files shared for the project).

I believe the GSU-1 has the same pinot for its surface mounted mask ROM and standard SNES 32 pin DIP mask ROMs have. But the GSU-2 has a larger mask ROM, I don't recall off the top of my head what it is. But it should come up easily in a Google image search.
hidden0
16-bit

Post by hidden0 »

Ziggy587 wrote:For an S-DD1 or SA-1 TSOP solution, you would need a 16-bit memory. They are currently available, but operate at 3.3v while the SNES supplies 5v. It's possible to use them, but you have to use a level shifter. I've come across a picture of one someone made once, but it was just a pic (I didn't see any files shared for the project).

I believe the GSU-1 has the same pinout for its surface mounted mask ROM and standard SNES 32 pin DIP mask ROMs have. But the GSU-2 has a larger mask ROM, I don't recall off the top of my head what it is. But it should come up easily in a Google image search.

I heard about issues with using 3.3v IC with 1 Chip snes .

This Adapter is for 36 Pins

GSU 2 maskroms are 40 Pin

The layout i found for 40 pins maskroms.
The extra 4 pins are just 5v and gnds.
If That's correct it should not be an issue to rewire some of the stuff if needed or just Modify the Existing Arthrimus adapter a little bit ( Which i have no idea about yet)

What are your thoughts.

Also the Github Readme says

Code: Select all

README.md
SNES-SuperFX-adapter

A simple PCB adapter that allows the use of a M29F032, AM29F032/29F016 or MBM29F033 (or other pin compatible) flash memory to make a reproduction of a SNES game that uses the SuperFX (GSU-1 or GSU-2) or CX4 cartridge type. No manual wires or hot glue!

Also the Adapter you suggested me seems like it should work

hidden0
16-bit

Post by hidden0 »

Ziggy587 wrote:For an S-DD1 or SA-1 TSOP solution, you would need a 16-bit memory. They are currently available, but operate at 3.3v while the SNES supplies 5v. It's possible to use them, but you have to use a level shifter. I've come across a picture of one someone made once, but it was just a pic (I didn't see any files shared for the project).

I believe the GSU-1 has the same pinot for its surface mounted mask ROM and standard SNES 32 pin DIP mask ROMs have. But the GSU-2 has a larger mask ROM, I don't recall off the top of my head what it is. But it should come up easily in a Google image search.

Looking forward for your views
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

No need to double post, I just didn't have a chance to respond until now.

As for 3.3v ICs with the 1CHIP SNES, I never heard about that but I don't see why it would be a problem as long as they're being used properly. Perhaps you read about pirate carts that improperly use 3.3v chips? But for example, modern flash carts use 3.3v memory chips and they work fine on the 1Chip.

If that adapter lines up and is pin-for-pin compatible, then I don't see why you couldn't use it. You just have to watch out for fitment issues. But designing your own adapter isn't very hard. EAGLE and KiCAD aren't very hard to learn. It is very gratifying to make your own, once you learn how. Like I said, there's tons of video tutorials available out there to get your going.

A note on the 29F032, 29F016 and 29F033 memories... These have been out of production for a while now. It use to be that you could get them fairly cheap. New-old-stock was available, and used ones were even cheaper. But these days the prices have gone up on them. I guess it's not so bad if you want to use just 1 or 2 for a project, but otherwise they're too expensive in my own opinion. Especially because I don't see NOS ones anymore, just used ones. I use to get used ones some years ago, but I was always annoyed by how hit-or-miss they were. Sometimes I would get bent or broken pins, or pins that I would have to clean solder off of, or fragile pins that break off easily because they've already been soldered and desoldered once. And then some of them would get errors when programming. It wasn't too big of a deal when they were just a couple of bucks each, but at the cost they are now I don't think it's worth the gamble. You can get a new 3.3v flash TSOP 32Mb memory for $3 give or take, the only down side is having to use level shifting.

That image you mocked up of the OSH Park adapter on the Street Fighter Alpha 2 PCB, yes it looks like it should fit. Although it hangs off the side of the board a little. I think it would still fit inside the cart shell, although possibly you might have to cut some plastic away to get it to close.

For one-off hobby projects, I really don't think using air wires is a bad alternative. Sure, it's far from ideal and doesn't look nearly as nice. But it does work.
hidden0
16-bit

Post by hidden0 »

Ziggy587 wrote:No need to double post, I just didn't have a chance to respond until now.

As for 3.3v ICs with the 1CHIP SNES, I never heard about that but I don't see why it would be a problem as long as they're being used properly. Perhaps you read about pirate carts that improperly use 3.3v chips? But for example, modern flash carts use 3.3v memory chips and they work fine on the 1Chip.

If that adapter lines up and is pin-for-pin compatible, then I don't see why you couldn't use it. You just have to watch out for fitment issues. But designing your own adapter isn't very hard. EAGLE and KiCAD aren't very hard to learn. It is very gratifying to make your own, once you learn how. Like I said, there's tons of video tutorials available out there to get your going.

A note on the 29F032, 29F016 and 29F033 memories... These have been out of production for a while now. It use to be that you could get them fairly cheap. New-old-stock was available, and used ones were even cheaper. But these days the prices have gone up on them. I guess it's not so bad if you want to use just 1 or 2 for a project, but otherwise they're too expensive in my own opinion. Especially because I don't see NOS ones anymore, just used ones. I use to get used ones some years ago, but I was always annoyed by how hit-or-miss they were. Sometimes I would get bent or broken pins, or pins that I would have to clean solder off of, or fragile pins that break off easily because they've already been soldered and desoldered once. And then some of them would get errors when programming. It wasn't too big of a deal when they were just a couple of bucks each, but at the cost they are now I don't think it's worth the gamble. You can get a new 3.3v flash TSOP 32Mb memory for $3 give or take, the only down side is having to use level shifting.

That image you mocked up of the OSH Park adapter on the Street Fighter Alpha 2 PCB, yes it looks like it should fit. Although it hangs off the side of the board a little. I think it would still fit inside the cart shell, although possibly you might have to cut some plastic away to get it to close.

For one-off hobby projects, I really don't think using air wires is a bad alternative. Sure, it's far from ideal and doesn't look nearly as nice. But it does work.

Regarding the issues using mx29l322 in carts i heard the real pheonix saying in that video.
Also he told me in comment he wont recommend it + the biggest issue is the universal programmer i have is Top3000 and still not able to find the adaptor for mx29l322 chip the one i have doesn’t support it.

Regarding 29f016 they are still a $1 in china others are expensive since i am only planning to use it for 2MB games so for my needs its perfectly okay and its cheap also i have a real hand in soldering and electronics so its barely an issue or errors for me it takes like 2 mins soldering or removing these chips.

The main thing is i asked about that adaptor being used in GSU2 40 pins maskrom.

Do you think the 36pin maskroms to tsop48 will work in 40pins maskroms e.g yoshi’s island the screenshots i shared above.