Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Slate is one of my favourite publications, and they posted an article recently (and mentioned another great one) about sex in media. We are at the point where lots of millennials, and especially zoomers, are supporting a movement to remove sex from films, and this tries to explain how silly it is: https://slate.com/culture/2023/08/passa ... cenes.html

This was the other article mentioned and it might go even deeper than that, showing that it can be a response to our current social climate: https://bloodknife.com/everyone-beautiful-no-one-horny/
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I read both of those articles. That's a whole lot of writing to say, "I don't have any children in my life."

That sounds dismissive, but I'm serious and it's the obvious issue neither author is acknowledging.

The author of the second article linked compares the heroes of Escape from New York (budget $6 million, rated R), The Terminator (budget $6 million, rated R), and Bloodsport (budget <$2.5 million, rated R), with Captain America: The First Avenger (budget >$140 million, rated PG-13).

I'm not too worried about my children seeing Thor battle space aliens, or lions mauling humans (I watched Beast (budget $36 million, rated R) with my children last night. Those things are far removed from their reality. Sex is something that can actually get them into a lot of real trouble in the real, normal lives they are going to lead as they grow up, and I, as a parent, want to keep some control over how it is presented to them.

If you adjust for inflation, a $6 million movie in 1980 would be about $22 million today. There are a lot of violent, sex-filled, R-Rated movies in the sub-$35 million budget range. Many get brought up on this board.

My wife and I are currently watching House of the Dragon. Last night I watched a kid stand in a window and jerk off. A couple of episodes back I watched a girl make out with her uncle in the middle of a brothel, with people fucking all around them. Those are not things I am going to be watching with my children. I really don't have much difficulty at all finding trashy entertainment with a lot of sexual content. Season One of The Witcher featured an orgy scene on par with Eyes Wide Shut.

These people might as well complain that there isn't more sex in The Super Mario Bros. Movie.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I haven't seen the Barbie movie, but seeing its success I guess if you market something enough people will buy it. Hearing about a barbie movie is like hearing a movie about Tony The Tiger...its just that silly. At least for me.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

RCBH928 wrote:I haven't seen the Barbie movie, but seeing its success I guess if you market something enough people will buy it. Hearing about a barbie movie is like hearing a movie about Tony The Tiger...its just that silly. At least for me.

They did this silly Barbenheimer thing, basically the marketing encouraged people to go see Barbie and Oppenheimer one after the other. For some reason, this was really effective in getting people out to see both movies. Barbenheimer became an internet meme. Barbie's marketing was also a bit deceptive, portraying a movie that is quite different from what you actually see in theaters. I don't personally consider Barbie to be a kid's movie even though that's how it was marketed. I think the idea was for adults to see Openheimer while their kids (or maybe their wife and kids) could see Barbie.

The discussion surrounding the Barbie movie is arguably more interesting than the movie itself. Some people hate it, some people love it. That was the main thing that got me to see it. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It's a terrible movie in my opinion, but Ryan Gosling is damn entertaining in all of his scenes. He saves the movie in my opinion.

I also think the Super Mario Bros. movie sucks too, but at least that movie was a bit more honest with its marketing as a kid's movie.
marurun

Post by marurun »

We have wandered into territory that is best left to other forums, despite the fact that everyone’s been pretty even keel about it this far. Let’s go ahead and wrap this particular conversation strand right here. Thanks!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

talking about Barbie movie in the Movies thread is considered moving into a "territory better left for other forums" ? Or was there more posts the got deleted? I do not see red flag here
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Just proves my point about what a touchy subject the Barbie movie is :lol:

I'm perfectly okay with not bringing it up again. Plenty of other things to talk about.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:talking about Barbie movie in the Movies thread is considered moving into a "territory better left for other forums" ? Or was there more posts the got deleted? I do not see red flag here

The problem is not the Barbie movie. The problem is some of the discussion around specific social commentary. We don't want discussions here where people are staking specific positions on sex, gender, violence, and other social issues in movies and then having that lead to arguments that might get way off the rails. It falls into the whole no politics rule:

Topics such as religion and politics can quickly become heated and disrespectful and should be approached cautiously. General politics, in particular, are prohibited due to the current political climate of the United States. This does not mean that topics related to gaming, such as the role of women or minorities in narratives, are off limits, but they must be approached respectfully and without malice. The moderation team reserves the right to censure anyone who brings hateful views to the forum.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

So I am watching a movie franchise from my childhood, 3 Ninjas Knuckle Back. Its oozing of 90s cheese and I love it!

Those 80s/90s child-family movies are gold. They were more concentrated on making them fun watch than some commercial KPIs formula to hit maximum profitability. I wonder if children of this era would enjoy them just as we did, or have tastes changed? I don't get how current children enjoy 3D movies more than drawn ones. I still like the hand drawn ones even as an adult. I heard Disney dropped hand drawn after The Princess and the Frog didn't do as well as their Pixar movies.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Any one noticed that Hollywood no longer puts effort to make CGI look real? This looks like Myst from 1993. even Star Wars from 70s look more realistic. And the costumes are beyond silly. Its like a costume bought from Spirit Halloween.

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 8.51.59 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 8.51.59 PM.jpg (129.01 KiB) Viewed 3660 times

images-325 copy.jpg
images-325 copy.jpg (111.49 KiB) Viewed 3660 times