September Together Retro: Welcome To Treasure Island

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Markies
Next-Gen

September Together Retro: Welcome To Treasure Island

Post by Markies »

Arrr Mateys, Welcome To Treasure Island!

Welcome to the vast richness and the unprecedented variety of games made by Treasure. Please, find something you enjoy and play until your heart's content. We have many offers as any one of these fine games are available for you to play.

Tell of your experiences, your pain and sorrow, your joy and triumphs as we all look back and enjoy the exploits of a single company, Treasure!

Treasure Games Beat In September:
1. Markies - Mischief Makers (N64) 09-02
2. Pierrot - Silhouette Mirage (PS1) 09-03
3. nullPointer - Gunstar Heroes (GEN) 09-10
4. Exhuminator - Light Crusader (GEN) 09-13
5. Sarge - Guardian Heroes (SAT) 09-15
6. noiseredux - Gunstar Heroes (GEN) 09-16
7. Pierrot - Ikaruga (GCN) 09-24
8. Pierrot - Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Touitsusen (GEN) 09-24
9. Pierrot - Dynamite Headdy (GEN) 09-26
10. AlienJesus - Wario World (GCN) 09-30
11. Nemoide - Dynamite Headdy (GCN) 09-30
12. Eckony - Freak Out (PS2) 09-30

Exhuminator wrote:Looks like Treasure's winning by a wide margin presently.

If anyone needs a refresher as to Treasure's library:

Advance Guardian Heroes (Game Boy Advance)
Alien Soldier (Sega Genesis)
Astro Boy: Omega Factor (Game Boy Advance)
Bangai-O (Nintendo 64, Dreamcast)
Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury (Xbox 360)
Bangai-O Spirits (Nintendo DS)
Bleach: Dark Souls (Nintendo DS)
Bleach: The Blade of Fate (Nintendo DS)
Bleach: Versus Crusade (Wii)
Dragon Drive: D-Masters Shot (GameCube)
Dynamite Headdy (Sega Genesis, Game Gear, Master System)
Gaist Crusher (Nintendo 3DS)
Gaist Crusher God (Nintendo 3DS)
Gradius V (PlayStation 2)
Guardian Heroes (Sega Saturn, Xbox 360)
Gunstar Heroes (Sega Genesis, Game Gear)
Gunstar Super Heroes ( Game Boy Advance)
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting! (Game Boy Advance)
Ikaruga (Arcade, Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch)
Light Crusader (Sega Genesis)
McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure (Sega Genesis)
Mischief Makers (Nintendo 64)
Radiant Silvergun (Arcade, Sega Saturn, Xbox 360)
Rakugaki Showtime (PlayStation)
Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 25: Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box (PlayStation 2)
Silhouette Mirage (Sega Saturn, PlayStation)
Silpheed: The Lost Planet (PlayStation 2)
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (Wii)
Sin and Punishment (Nintendo 64, iQue Player)
Stretch Panic AKA Freak Out (PlayStation 2)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Bad Dream (Game Boy Advance)
Wario World (GameCube)
Yū Yū Hakusho: Makyō Tōitsusen (Sega Genesis)

I believe that's everything Treasure has developed up until this point.
Last edited by Markies on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Mara

Re: September Together Retro: Welcome To Treasure Island

Post by Mara »

My top priority will be giving Gunstar Heroes a shot. It's weird that I've never played it despite being a huge fan of run 'n gun games. I will boot it up tomorrow and see what have I missed all these years.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I'm going to give Light Crusader an honest try. It's the most un-Treasure game this studio produced; that aspect alone is intriguing.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Mara wrote:My top priority will be giving Gunstar Heroes a shot. It's weird that I've never played it despite being a huge fan of run 'n gun games. I will boot it up tomorrow and see what have I missed all these years.

Oh nice. If you've played a lot of run 'n' guns before, Gunstar Heroes may not seem quite as special, but it's way better than something like Gunner's Heaven, anyway. I'm not a huge Gunstar Heroes fan, but I enjoyed playing it (actually, when it was part of the old Together Retro format, I believe). The board game stage has claimed the fun and amusement of many a gamer, but if you persevere, I promise that good things await you after. One thing I do really appreciate about Gunstar Heroes (aside from the graphical flair) is that it has some pretty deep gameplay, but also allows the player something of an option to clear out normal enemies on sight. Are you playing it on a Mega Drive, or compilation (or something else entirely)?

Exhuminator wrote:I'm going to give Light Crusader an honest try. It's the most un-Treasure game this studio produced; that aspect alone is intriguing.

Neato! Someone's playing Light Crusader! Somehow I'm not surprised that it's you, Ex. It's probably my favorite Treasure game, and one of my favorites on the Genesis. It's not as much of a looker as a lot of other Treasure stuff, but the gameplay, puzzles, soundtrack, and moodiness are just--mwah--c'est magnifique! I hope you're bringing along something to fight off the chills with; It gets dank in dem dungeons.

I did something crazy and actually ordered Silhouette Mirrage for the Sega Saturn. I have a burned disc that I've used to play a bit of the game before, but I have not beaten it, and there was a time when I was trying to complete a set of the Treasure games released to console (not including ports). Silhouette Mirage was about the least expensive game remaining on that list of console Treasure games I still don't have; That's progress. I don't have Silpheed: The Lost Planet, but I've just always been trying to get it for ~$2. So now the list is basically just Alien Soldier, Bleach: Versus Crusade, Rakugaki Showtime, Silpheed: The Lost Planet, and Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen. When I write it out that way, it actually seems like I could still do that goal, if I just let go a little bit, close my eyes, and think happy thoughts while ponying up for Alien Soldier, Rakugaki Showtime, and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Anyway, I'm going to start with Silhouette Mirage, and then I might put some serious effort into finally beating Dynamite Headdy.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I've picked up Wario World which I plan on playing through this month. I also have Alien Soldier and Freak Out (AKA Stretch Panic) which I could play if I have enough time.

So now the list is basically just Alien Soldier, Bleach: Versus Crusade, Rakugaki Showtime, Silpheed: The Lost Planet, and Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen.

Even though there's a good few pricy games still to get, I'm jealous of the fact that your remaining Treasure list is this small. I still need the likes of Light Crusader, Silhouette Mirage, Bangai O for N64, Radiant Silvergun and all of the games on your list up there too.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

I just got done playing some Gunstar Heroes this morning on Genesis, and I have to say that so far, it's pretty great. In terms of gameplay, the closest comparison I can make is probably Metal Slug in that it nails that feeling of a non-stop action arcade-type run & gun. The difference of course is that the mechanics seem to be quite a bit deeper. I'm enjoying it so far! :D ... Although I spent more time than I care to admit attempting to defeat the multi-stage boss in the 'mine cart' level. :|
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I’m excited about this month. It is just the impetus I need to play through Sin & Punishment. I adored Star Successor, and I’m really looking forward to the original.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Since I started rather early, I was able to beat Mischief Makers this evening.

Here is my review: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1136478#p1136478

If you are looking for an easier Treasure game, I would say Mischief Makers fits the bill. The final two bosses were the only ones that gave me trouble. It is definitely not as daunting as I thought it was or as hard as other Treasure games.

Also, I edited the first post to put my beat up there. If anybody else beats a Treasure game and posts it in this thread, I will add it to the list.

Together, Let's See How Many Treasure Games We Can Beat!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I played through Light Crusader a few years back for an article I wrote for GameSpite Journal. I'd never really given it a fair shake. It feels like a European game to me, but even if it isn't as zany as a lot of Treasure's works, I'd still say it's worth a go.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I’m really looking forward to the original.

Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Earth is definitely good, one of the best N64 games IMO.

I don't know what version you're playing, but for the sake of posterity, the N64 original has been English fan translated:

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/920/
PLAY KING'S FIELD.