Dying Light anyone?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
wclem
Next-Gen

Dying Light anyone?

Post by wclem »

Anyone playing this game? I picked it up and it seems ok. Was hoping to get blown away by it but I would say more or less entertained at this point. The night stuff is pretty cool and the game as a whole is not overly hard. Lots of platforming for those who like it. Mostly melee to this point but not too far in.

Anyone else?
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Dying Light anyone?

Post by Reprise »

Yeah, I'm playing. I picked it up yesterday. Unfortunately, I'm from the UK and we got screwed over with the physical release for some reason. I had the game pre-ordered (at £40.00), but then I realised I hadn't received the game (the news of delay hadn't reached me for some reason), so I went online to see it had been pushed back till 27th February! So I caved and just paid for the digital version, which wasn't delayed, for £55... Sigh, they really need to sort out this huge disparity in price between digital and physical games. Why has the music industry has got it right with MP3s and CDs and the book industry has got it right, mostly, with books and e-books, yet the game industry decides to charge more for digital?

Anyways, less bitching, more onto the game. I have never played the Dead Island series before and whilst I am a bit sick of open world games and zombie games to boot, this game did appeal to me and so far it hasn't really disappointed. I wouldn't say I'm blown away either, but I am having fun. It does a decent job of really creating the feel that you are stuck trying to survive in a zombie apocalypse. The 'parkour' mechanics borrowed from Mirror's Edge work really, really well and make for a more realistic experience in a zombie apocalypse.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

At first I thought the platforming mechanic was kind of busted. As I learned the physics of it I am getting better at it and the physics make more sense. This one of those games you have to pick up on its style as the mechanics are not the same as a first person shooter.

Though sometimes I still get whacked when am trying to get up on a platform and mis judge the perspective.

There are a few cheap deaths too but that happens in games.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

The platforming mechanics felt fairly natural to me and I picked them up quickly. I like it. I have seen online though that not everyone is a fan of the controls and mechanics. I read that apparently this one girl was mad and was trying to demand her money back from Sony.

This is the first 'open world' type game I've played in a while where I'm actually having fun and enjoying playing through the side quests. I normally find playing side quests in these kinds of games a chore.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

I always try to do the side-quest first as once I beat the game I do not feel the compulsion to go back as my backlog of games is huge!

I once got a store credit from Sony for a buggy game. I download an Atelier game for the Vita a year or so ago. Paid full price for it also. It kept hanging on the world map. I downloaded and re-installed multiple time and nothing fixed it. Went through their "let us help you" chat session which did nothing. A few days later I got a credit. I did have to assert my dissatisfaction some but they were cool about it.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Do you know if there's any negative impact from dying? I've died a couple of times now (mostly through my own stupidity and becoming complacent). It says you lose survival points. What does that mean? Do I lose anything else, or does it just take me back to a safe zone with everything intact?

wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

I have wondered the same thing and have yet to find that answer myself. If I do I will pass it along!
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

So survival points are gained through night survivals against the 'nightmares'.

It would also seem my game just crashed... I hope I haven't lost any progress. I just unlocked a new safe zone and kicked ass in surviving the night.

wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

I have also found that sometimes when there are to item in a box that sometimes it gets flaky about picking up the second one.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Yeah, I occasionally have that problem too.

Have you had a night invasion yet? I had my first earlier today. Jesus is it tough! The dude playing as the hunter destroyed us.