NEO GEO pocket light mod? Anyone know what this is?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: NEO GEO pocket light mod? Anyone know what this is?

Post by Betagam7 »

Nyukki wrote:Ah right. I'm English too, so I share your frustration with Chinese banks. Nothing's ever simple.

The banks are ridiculous.

Good to know that Taobao is apparently a good source for retro stuff though. Since transporting my collection from England was not an option I've been limited in my hobby here until now.

What's some of the best retro stuff you've found on there, out of interest? Is most of the stuff Japanese imports or bootlegs?
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Bootlegs, for sure. Disc based games lots of bootlegs but being discs they will be dirt cheap, so easily discernible. For carts, lots of bootleg Famicom, Mega Drive and MVS carts, other system's carts are mostly legit.

If you see the characters 原装 (yuan zhuang) in the title, the seller is advertising it as legit. Or you can send the seller a message asking 这是原装的吗? Whether or not it's actually legit is another matter.

I've bought all sorts on Taobao, legit stuff and boots. Bought lots of systems on there too, Saturns and DC's etc. The good thing about buying systems is that, being that in China people rarely pay for software, virtually all systems have already been chipped/jailbroken as standard.

Been buying arcade parts from there too. Living in Guangzhou, have you visited Panyu yet? That's where the largest arcade wholesale market is in China. Really want to check it out sometime.

Edit: When searching on TB, remember most systems/games go by their Japanese names here, so say you're looking for SNES stuff, type SFC instead. Also, it's sometimes worth typing the name of a game you're looking for into Baidu's search engine, and more often than not it will give you the Chinese name of a game.

So say you're itching for some Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, you can search for “FC 原装卡带 松鼠大作战” (FC for Famicom, 原装 for original or non-bootleg, 卡带 means cartridge, 松鼠大作战 or Squirrel Big Battle is the Chinese name for CNDRR).
Weekend shmupper
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Thanks for the tips.

I've been doing some more searching and this link seems to point to a guy selling NGP color backlit mods:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... =15#detail

I can't make head nor tail out of the garbled translations. It says something about "stripes" or "matte" effect for the lighting...but the pictures look good.

Any tips about what is being sold here? This looks like maybe a better option than the regular NGP mod.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Betagam7 wrote:Thanks for the tips.

I've been doing some more searching and this link seems to point to a guy selling NGP color backlit mods:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... =15#detail

I can't make head nor tail out of the garbled translations. It says something about "stripes" or "matte" effect for the lighting...but the pictures look good.

Any tips about what is being sold here? This looks like maybe a better option than the regular NGP mod.

Any experts able to confirm that this is for a premodded system? I have Taobao up and working now but want to confirm what I'm buying in non Chinglish translation before I spend 500 RMB
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

He's selling a modded system, so.the price includes the handheld. The mod is done using a GBA SP screen. The thing about horizontal lines are two different backlight "effects", horizontal lines or like a sand effect (not really sure what he means by that, but the pics at the bottom are of the horizontal effect). Comes with one year warranty on the mod and on the system but doesn't cover accidental damage.

Also, it says you need to contact him before buying to make sure he has it in stock. Let me know if you need help speaking to the seller.
Weekend shmupper
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Nyukki wrote:He's selling a modded system, so.the price includes the handheld. The mod is done using a GBA SP screen. The thing about horizontal lines are two different backlight "effects", horizontal lines or like a sand effect (not really sure what he means by that, but the pics at the bottom are of the horizontal effect). Comes with one year warranty on the mod and on the system but doesn't cover accidental damage.

Also, it says you need to contact him before buying to make sure he has it in stock. Let me know if you need help speaking to the seller.

Thanks a lot. I thought from the translation that contact might be necessary soon? How is your Chinese? Do you know the best way to ask him in Chinese if he has them? Or should I just run English through a translation bot? I'm not really bothered whether it's the "slim" Japanese model or the regular NGPC although I'll probably order the "slim" as I don't have that model.

Since we don't know what he means by "sand" I'd be happy to order the "horizontal" one pictured.

Of course, when it arrives I'd be happy to report on the quality here as I know others are looking for a NGPC light mod source.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Small update on this. I ordered a lit NGPC today from taobao. I'll post details on here once it arrives...if it arrives. :wink:
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z ... 689tqef654

Does anybody speak Chinese?

I'm having problems with this guy. I ordered a NGPC from him and while he communicates we can't understand each other. The price was 200RMB but now he wants a further 350 RMB. Does the listing say anything about this? I don't think he's scamming me but I'd like to be clear.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

This has now been sorted for me thanks to a friendly Racket Boy member and the unit is on its way! Hurray! :D
Zandengoff
24-bit

Post by Zandengoff »

What was the issue? I am curious as I would like to get one later myself.