Yet another 3DS model announced - the NEW 3DS

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Yet another 3DS model announced - the NEW 3DS

Post by Sarge »

Stark wrote:Hmm might have to put the Wii one in my Sale thread then.

Not sure I'd do that just yet. If I understand right, some initial looks saw it have frame rate issues, and you're definitely going to see a downgrade in resolution. You're effectively quartering your resolution, going from 800x480 to 400x240.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Sarge wrote:

Not sure I'd do that just yet. If I understand right, some initial looks saw it have frame rate issues, and you're definitely going to see a downgrade in resolution. You're effectively quartering your resolution, going from 800x480 to 400x240.

Yeah but it would probably go from a game I'll think about playing and never do (Wii) to a game that I can play "on the go" and may actually play (3DS).
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Very true. I was actually thinking about posting that, as a lot of the quests seem like they'd fit a portable experience very well.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Stark wrote:
Sarge wrote:

Yeah but it would probably go from a game I'll think about playing and never do (Wii) to a game that I can play "on the go" and may actually play (3DS).

That's my thing about it right there. I can't stand long RPGs, and especially I know I will NEVER finish one stuck on a TV. Now if it's on a handheld or a laptop where I can take it in bed, to the couch, or whatever, then things can happen. I took down Tales of the Abyss on 3DS a couple years back and that one I would have not play 1/2 of it if I had the PS2 release from years ago. Xenoblade I see the same thing happening. And even if you're working with a smaller resolution, visually in the comparison videos you really don't notice it much, and even then that's a blown up video. When you play these things in real time on the smaller LCDs of a handheld we always find games look different than a preview on your computer.

Speaking of getting back into messing with the 3DS like I said before, I did that last night. I took it to bed and knocked off the Candy kingdom inside of Adventure Time (the zelda 2 inspired Ice King game.) I forgot how fun it was and even if you get confused where to go next you can always poke around in an earlier area or whatever and make more progress.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Tanooki wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:How well does this 3D head tracking stuff work in very low light?

I've tried fairly low light and it seemed to still keep up nice enough. In total darkness I think it gets a little more sketchy but it still detects your head motions even if it's kind of blind in the dark due to the glow off the screen. It kind of falls between as bad as the old 3DS was and the upgrade being great in better light.

Zero difference for me. The tracking works with Infrared and Gyroscope so it will make zero difference whether you have the lights on or off.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Guess it just depends eh? That's what happened for me so there's got to be something that made a difference.

Anyway today Nintendo appears to have released that free to play Pokemon Shuffle puzzle game if anyone is interested as I got an email in my box this morning about it.

Also pushed Adventure Time further, now up to the Ice Kingdom, but it looks like I may need to go cloud grabbing and after a fire sword of some sort. It's a shame the other AT games got rated not so well, especially the one just after the game I'm on. You'd think they wouldn't screw up a zelda 1 like clone.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

In response to the Xenoblade Chronicles discussion, that is exactly why I'm looking forward to the 3DS release too. Nowadays, I also struggle to get into hardcore RPGs, but on handhelds, it's kind of a different story.

I have Xenoblade Chronicles already on the Wii, but I haven't got too far into it. I'm hoping the same thing happens as when I bought Persona 4 Golden on the Vita after struggling to get into the PS2 Persona 4. I put 90 hours into Golden on the Vita and completed it. I never thought that would happen, but playing a RPG on a handheld is just so convenient.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I think if most people saw that post and then our replies you could have a whole thread about how RPGs are inconvenient on a TV but very much so when you can do it wherever on a handheld, even if that handheld is a lame touch based phone or tablet. When you can just take it anywhere, anytime and give it 5min or 2 hours without interrupting anyone else's space it makes the difference.

I'm working on that Adventure Time zelda 2 clone and really if that were a TV based game I'd not be doing it right now but on the 3DS I just can do it for an hour in bed before I got to sleep and that works.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

On tv or handheld makes no difference to me. Lately I have played more on handheld or PC, but that is probably more due to more of them being released on those platforms. As I rarely play handhelds outside of my house, it doesn't really offer up much of a convenience factor.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I used to be like that with RPGs, preferring to play the handhelds. I still like to. But I just got new furniture that's awfully comfy, so playing on the TV is a lot more palatable, and I strain my eyes a bit less.

In practice, what happens is that I'll play something on a console, then when it's time to go to bed, I'll play the handheld... which sometimes turns out to be a bad move if I get sucked in to what I'm playing! Like last night. I probably needed to go to bed before midnight, morning came too soon!