POLL: Bootlegs / Reproductions: What is allowed

Post Your Goods (and possibly trade wishlists) here

How should the new Marketplace rule on boots / repros / multicarts read?

Poll ended at Sun May 18, 2014 12:32 pm

There is no problem - everything is fair game
9%
There is no problem as long as anything not original is clearly labeled by the seller
67%
No repros of games if available in US, JP, PAL despite price or translation
No votes
No repros of games if available in US, JP, PAL despite price or translation - no multicarts either
2%
No repros of games if available in US, JP, PAL despite price only (text heavy translations and multicarts ok)
22%

Total votes: 54

aaron
Next-Gen

Re: POLL: Bootlegs / Reproductions: What is allowed

Post by aaron »

Hobie-wan wrote:
aaron wrote:i don't think we will have to worry about bootleg saturn games any time soon, fellas. maybe bootleg cases/manuals/traycards but not discs. relevant: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... lusive-end

If I'm understanding that properly, it means that the copy protection is only added somewhere around the glass master stage and one will never be able to make CDRs that can be read by a normal system because blank discs already come with a groove so you really can't replicate the wobble security section even if you managed to bodger on some electronics that forced a burner drive to do unintended things. So short of using the glass masters to stamp out unauthorized discs or creating new ones which probably wouldn't be financially worthwhile, pressed disc boots are highly unlikely. I imagine the CD and DVD markets were big enough to make the occasional bootlegs worthwhile, or perhaps glass masters were being stolen and used.

you're exactly right. afaik, there haven't been any pressed/stamped saturn bootlegs that have surfaced yet. even the Lost & Found discs needed a modchip to work.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Didn't some guys just release an interactive DVD playable on Saturn w/o any other hardware required? I thought there was a thread on here about it but I can't recall what it was called. It may not be the same type of disc as a SAT disc, but if it has artwork to match and plays on a system - how would anyone know?

Obviously homebrewers like goatstore and NG-Dev are able to make playable discs for DC, so boots there are not difficult, just not fully explored yet, but I imagine as that library takes off like N64 is starting to, it will happen.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

mjmjr25 wrote:Didn't some guys just release an interactive DVD playable on Saturn w/o any other hardware required?

Maybe it was a VCD that used the MPEG card? I can't remember offhand if there's any input choice at all with VCDs.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Neo Geo CD systems have no security at all, it is very easy to play bootleg discs on it.
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

Hobie-wan wrote:
mjmjr25 wrote:Didn't some guys just release an interactive DVD playable on Saturn w/o any other hardware required?

Maybe it was a VCD that used the MPEG card? I can't remember offhand if there's any input choice at all with VCDs.

if you're talking about the My Life With Sega DVD, it is indeed a VCD and requires an MPEG card. not the same thing, and also not interactive like a DVD game or something.

also i'd think that dreamcast boots would be easy to verify simply by looking at the bottom of the disc. also not the same thing.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

aaron wrote:https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

Great site! :lol:
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

also this is pretty funny and sorta relevant:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... mcast-game
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

aaron wrote:also i'd think that dreamcast boots would be easy to verify simply by looking at the bottom of the disc. also not the same thing.

??? What is different on my Last Hope disc than an official DC game?
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

mjmjr25 wrote:
aaron wrote:also i'd think that dreamcast boots would be easy to verify simply by looking at the bottom of the disc. also not the same thing.

??? What is different on my Last Hope disc than an official DC game?

Last hope is on a CDR with code that bypasses the security, just like any other self booting disc you would burn. Real games are on GD-Rs
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

ninjainspandex wrote:Neo Geo CD systems have no security at all, it is very easy to play bootleg discs on it.

Burned discs would not really be the same as one made in a factory with printing that could be confused for something legitimate. CDrs usually have the telltale blue or goldish bottom. Being able to play burns on a system is vastly different from discs that cound be confused as real things out of a factory.