SNES Console Revision Differences. SHVC-CPU-01 vs 1CHIP-Mini

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Re: SNES Console Revision Differences. SHVC-CPU-01 vs 1CHIP-

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Anyone know where you can buy these official RGB cables and S-Video cables? Checked on eBay, and only saw SCART cables that went for 90 bucks and S Video ones that go for 40.
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
steeviebops

Post by steeviebops »

I can't say with absolute certainty, but Earthworm Jim 2 might be one to add to the list of iffy games on a 1CHIP SNES. I'm not sure if it's a fault with my console though.

I got a PAL 1CHIP second hand back in 2009. Everything I have plays fine on it with the exception of Earthworm Jim 2. The sound effects are slightly garbled. Plays perfectly on an older 2 chip SNES I have. I only realised the difference between the two machines when I saw that the 1CHIP had a sharper RGB picture than the older one.
Firebrandx

Post by Firebrandx »

Got a major one to add to the list of games that don't work properly on the 1-CHIP revision. In this case, I have a 1-CHIP-03 console. I just discovered today after ordering the game on ebay that "Secret of Evermore" doesn't work AT ALL on the 1-CHIP-03. I confirmed by making sure the leads were spotlessly clean and checked the game on my APU revision SNES console, where it works perfectly fine. On the 1CHIP-03, the initial fiery Squaresoft logo will fade in and then out to black, and the game just hangs on the black screen forever. I waited several minutes and pressed different buttons on the controller, removed the controller, reset the machine, etc. and nothing works. It is simply incompatible with the 1CHIP-03, and likely will have the same result on the -01 and -02 revisions.
SNES_is_the_Best
8-bit

Post by SNES_is_the_Best »

Can anyone else with 1CHIP or SNES-Mini consoles test those games mentioned above? Need more data before adding them to my original post as potential problematic games.
Gaming peaked with the SNES/Genesis era. Its been downhill ever since.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

I've got a mini (and SHVC) and will test out Secret of Evermore this weekend if no one beats me to it.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Firebrandx

Post by Firebrandx »

SNES_is_the_Best wrote:Can anyone else with 1CHIP or SNES-Mini consoles test those games mentioned above? Need more data before adding them to my original post as potential problematic games.

It DOES NOT work on the 1Chip-03 regular SNES. What more data do you need than that? Even if it works on other revisions, that's still enough to list it.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Firebrandx wrote:
SNES_is_the_Best wrote:Can anyone else with 1CHIP or SNES-Mini consoles test those games mentioned above? Need more data before adding them to my original post as potential problematic games.

It DOES NOT work on the 1Chip-03 regular SNES. What more data do you need than that? Even if it works on other revisions, that's still enough to list it.

I think he's just looking for corroboration. One person has an issue with a game/system combo, it might be a fluke (unlikely, but possible). Two people show the same issue, far less likely to just be a fluke.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Firebrandx

Post by Firebrandx »

Sorry for my rage earlier, I felt like I wasn't being taken seriously.

At any rate, my XRGB-mini arrived yesterday, and I was able to confirm that the original model SNES 1-CHIP-03 does not have csync hooked up. My serial number indicates I have one of the original production lines of the 1-CHIP-03, so this would mean likely all 1-CHIP-03 original SNES units do not have it hooked up either. Thankfully the mod to hook it up is a simple solder job of one little wire on the motherboard.

Right now, I've got my APU revision SNES hooked up and it looks freakin amazing with the XRGB-mini! The downside is there are faint diagonal jail bars, which show up in any hookup method because the APU revision SNES sucks that way. I'm going to mod my 1-CHIP-03 today and give that one a go on the XRGB-mini.

Edit: Just finished the wire mod for CSYNC found here:

http://blake.remoteshell.org/consoles/s ... HIP-03.png

The results are STUNNING! I've got it outputting RGB JP-21 into my XRGB-mini, and the pixels are RAZOR sharp! There's no lag on my SONY TV when set to game mode, so it's absolutely amazing to witness. The downside is I still have to use the APU SNES if I want to play Secret of Evermore, but this is still freakin awesome nonetheless!

Edit 2: Did some ghosting and stripe tests under CSYNC RGB for the 1-CHIP-03. I could not detect any sort of ghosting or stripe whatsoever. The pixels are cut like glass and have perfect borders.
Firebrandx

Post by Firebrandx »

Update:

After modding the CSYNC in the 1-CHIP-03, I gave Secret of Evermore another try and it actually works now! I'm not sure why this is, and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'll take it, but I'd still like to know why the game was crashing before the mod and now seems to work fine after.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Firebrandx wrote:At any rate, my XRGB-mini arrived yesterday, and I was able to confirm that the original model SNES 1-CHIP-03 does not have csync hooked up. My serial number indicates I have one of the original production lines of the 1-CHIP-03, so this would mean likely all 1-CHIP-03 original SNES units do not have it hooked up either. Thankfully the mod to hook it up is a simple solder job of one little wire on the motherboard.

That's really weird. It's an NTSC SNES? It has RGB hooked up, but not sync? I wouldn't be able to confirm if this is the case with later revisions. My 1-Chip SNES is actually a PAL model that I hardwired to be NTSC. It wouldn't surprise me if PAL had sync hooked up but NTSC didn't.

Firebrandx wrote:Right now, I've got my APU revision SNES hooked up and it looks freakin amazing with the XRGB-mini! The downside is there are faint diagonal jail bars, which show up in any hookup method because the APU revision SNES sucks that way. I'm going to mod my 1-CHIP-03 today and give that one a go on the XRGB-mini.

I've yet to try out my 1-chip with the XRGB. Since it's PAL, it requires 75ohm resistors in the RGB cable. But of course, the cable I have has 220uF caps in it, which is what the NTSC consoles require. But, I have another RGB cable that's straight-through (no caps or resistors) that I use with my N64 (the RGB mod that I did on my N64 does not require any components in the cable, and having any will have a negative effect on the picture). I plan to wire in some 75ohm resisters in my PAL SNES so that I can just use the straight-through cable. Then I can finally see how the 1-chip looks with the XRGB.