Together Retro: Phantasy Star Online

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Phantasy Star Online

Post by Stark »

The article says there is a guide to setting up SCHTHACK on the forums, but I don't see it.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Stark wrote:The article says there is a guide to setting up SCHTHACK on the forums, but I don't see it.

http://schtserv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=92348

^here you dood. Lemme know when you wanna kill some shiz.

EDIT: I'm on now if anyone wants to join my game - just ping me in Steam Chat.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I have never played more than a hour or so sitting of any PSO. Do the games have a ending in the traditional sense of the word? (ie end of main quest, credits roll)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

emwearz wrote:I have never played more than a hour or so sitting of any PSO. Do the games have a ending in the traditional sense of the word? (ie end of main quest, credits roll)

well I know Ep1 at least has an ending, so I assume the other Ep's do as well.

I've pretty much just played PSO on and off all day today. Leveled up to LVL 8 already.

Could have used some help on this guy though:

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Alright.

Offline mode. Dreamcast.

I completed the first quest and I'm level 3.

The game hasn't clicked with me yet. I find the combat slow and tedious and while there is a map screen I still found myself getting lost.

Is this is the entirety of PSO? Completing all of these quests from the guild?

I'll fire up the game again later, hopefully things get a little more interesting soon.
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Post by Duane Dibbley »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I completed the first quest and I'm level 3.

The game hasn't clicked with me yet. I find the combat slow and tedious and while there is a map screen I still found myself getting lost.

There are the main "story" areas you get through the main portal, and then a number of side quests you can do from the guild. I say "story" because there isn't a whole lot of dialogue or anything.

The combat is relatively slow compared to some newer games, but as you level up and get better equipment, it goes much more smoothly. It's also more interesting playing with other people. I'm not sure if the Dreamcast version has it, but on GameCube you can play 4 player split screen, as well as online.

I've been meaning to play GCN PSO online again for some time now. Maybe I'll get to it sometime during this Together Retro.
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Alright.

Offline mode. Dreamcast.

I completed the first quest and I'm level 3.

I'll fire up the game again later, hopefully things get a little more interesting soon.

A lot of it's clearing the main areas without taking quests to open up more areas and advance other story lines. I've always thought of it as a third-person Diablo II. I wouldn't bother memorizing the maps. Unless you're playing a specific quest, they're mostly randomly generated.

Now I'm thinking about either building a Terminator-ish tank HUcast and calling it DETHMUSHEEN or the smallest elf-looking FOmarl I can make with a stripper name like Bunny or XStacey.

I'm leaning more toward the HUcast so I can level fast and get the most out of the game in one month... thoughts?
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Noise and I have been playing and we beat the dragon tonight - Episode 1 Quest 3.
Its fun and a lot more fun with other people.

We both are using SCHTHACK PSOBB and have been picking the first ship, block 1 and creating a party named: RBTR
password: ballz

If you do use SCHTHACK we will always look for the RBTR team, if the team is full (4 players) create RBTR2 with the same password.

Both noise and I are using some form of our name here for the character in the game so we recognize each other.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah split screen on consoles is only in GCN I believe. Definitely not DC. Not sure about Xbox.

But as SB said, we're having a blast playing co-op. I took some pics during the dragon in Quest 1-3 battle:

SB saved my life -thank goodness. And proof that teamwork goes a long way in this game.

There's still quite a bit to Episode 1, so I'll be happy just to play through that this month. But it's addictive enough that I'll just keep going to see how far I can get.

As he pointed out, we're trying to use the same name/psswd for parties. And if anyone wants to join in this month in BB, I think it's going to be a ton of fun.

Oh and SB pointed out to me that you just hit SPACE to type messages to each other. Super helpful.

360 pad works great in this BTW.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Well I'm starting to get the hang of this. Completed a couple more quests and I now have lightning and ice techniques.