Lets talk Street Fighter 2 versions

Brawlers and Beatemups
jay_red
Next-Gen

Lets talk Street Fighter 2 versions

Post by jay_red »

I have been getting more interested in street fighter 2 recently, and just reading up on the game in general. I have been trying to get a solid understanding of all the versions, but a lot of the information I have read is fragmented, unclear as to what version is what, and uses the wrong naming (a major problem when trying to figure out which is which). I am also interested as to how the snes/genesis ports hold up to the arcade originals. I am not looking for suggestions as to what versions are the best, I am purely after clearing up some of the confusion.

So, from what I gather, the list of arcade releases are:
Street Fighter II World Warrior
Street Fighter II Championship Edition
Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting
Super Street Fighter II
Super Street Fighter II Turbo (The most common version played these days)
Hyper Street Fighter II: AE (I guess this version allows you to pick any "version" of each character)

I am pretty sure that these are the arcade versions, but I get a little confiused by this marquee:
Its a jumble of like every different suffix, what game did it actually go with?
(I actually have this one hanging in my garage)

As for the ports (genesis/snes) how close were they to the arcade versions? Were there ports of all the arcade versions (except Super Turbo and Hyper)?
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
HellHammer
64-bit

Re: Lets talk Street Fighter 2 versions

Post by HellHammer »

Dude.. I've been pretty confused by this whole thing, and I've been playing from the start. Haha.

As far as that marquee, I'm pretty sure I remember a local movie theater having this particular machine, and it was like a pre-Anniversary Edition of the game, which included both Hyper Fighting and II Turbo, so you basically inserted a coin and then chose between the two games.

I think I remember seeing very similar cabs where you could pick between SFII and Third Strike on the same machine. Maybe I'm thinking of the PS2 collection?

Anyway, as far as the ports go, I recall most of them being semi-dumbed down from the arcade experience, but nothing too bad. Specifically, I remember World Warrior on SNES ran pretty slow and had slow-down issues when combos and such were going on. I always liked SSFII:The New Challengers, even when my dad and brother switched to the faster II Turbo version, which I agree is probably the most common/preferred version. I think II Turbo is also closest to the arcade in comparison to the other SNES versions. I'm pretty sure only those 3 came to the SNES because pretty soon after I got Alpha 2, which was also pretty similar to the arcade, looked great but came with some pretty horrible loading times.
Hope that helps somewhat!
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

Jay send me a pm or I can try to type a long explaination after work
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

jay_red wrote:I am pretty sure that these are the arcade versions, but I get a little confiused by this marquee:
Its a jumble of like every different suffix, what game did it actually go with?
(I actually have this one hanging in my garage)

This was quite a common marquee back in the day. Weather it was official not, it was usually found mostly on a SF2 Hyper Fighting, but also would be seen in cabs housing Champ Edition. You have to understand that at that time, these 2 games released rather closely to each other and both games had their own dedicated player base (Hyper usually associated with the more hardcore SF players) so both games were relevant in the arcade scene to appease both crowds. Also take into account that it was very common in those days to see cab conversions where a cab was simply reused with hardware being the only thing that would get updated, mostly as a means to save money. Marquee and instruction cards would remain the same or in this example, this marquee promotes both iterations (Champ Edition/Turbo: Hyper Fighting).

With respects to your other questions:
-Your list looks correct to me.

jay_red wrote:As for the ports (genesis/snes) how close were they to the arcade versions? Were there ports of all the arcade versions (except Super Turbo and Hyper)?

The earliest iteration of a home port for ST was on the 3DO if i'm not mistaken so the answer is no. Yes, both systems, the Gen MD and SNES got ports of Hyper Fighting. They were available in their respective carts, "Special Champion Edition" and "Turbo". Hope that helps.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

don't forget the pc engine version of street fighter 2, isn't that a better port than the snes and megadrive versions.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

ninjainspandex wrote:don't forget the pc engine version of street fighter 2, isn't that a better port than the snes and megadrive versions.

If the pce version only contains champ edition (Dash), then I would say no.
marurun

Post by marurun »

CD AGES wrote:
ninjainspandex wrote:don't forget the pc engine version of street fighter 2, isn't that a better port than the snes and megadrive versions.

If the pce version only contains champ edition (Dash), then I would say no.

It only contains Dash. It is, however, in terms of graphics and music, the equal of the other ports.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

Thanks for the replies guys, that makes sense that the marquee would have been to cover multiple cabs, I did not know that CE and Hyper fighting were both popular at the same time mentioned.

I happen to have the genesis version of "Special Champion Edition" from what I gather this cart has both CE and Hyper fighting? Things like this are why I started this thread, its hard to get definitive answers on a lot of these questions, and its nice to get a little discussion going here about it all.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

My only question would be: Are you beholden to 16-bit consoles for ports? There are a number of newer ports and compilations that would be closer to the arcade versions.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

pierrot wrote:My only question would be: Are you beholden to 16-bit consoles for ports? There are a number of newer ports and compilations that would be closer to the arcade versions.

I know there are plenty of better ports, I have versions of super turbo (and others) for my Saturn, Dreamcast, MAME, ps3 (HDR). I was just interested in how close they were able to get the 16 bit versions to the arcade, just for the knowledge.