Wait wait wait wait...

So Unholy Night sucks? That's too bad.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: How Is Your SNES Gaming Going?

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Ack wrote:Wait wait wait wait...

So Unholy Night sucks? That's too bad.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. It's still a neat oddity being a SNES game released in 2017 and sold by a major retailer, but yeah, it's pretty trash.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Almost a crime considering who worked on it as they above all others doing basically a retail homebrew release have a resume pedigree that doesn't bend toward sucking.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I imagine they just couldn't invest the proper time and energy without financial support. Also, they probably didn't have standard dev kits and tools, either. Companies usually make you give those back. And their various libraries and dev tools are usually copyrighted, so if you aren't licensed you can't use their routines. Thus are the limits of homebrews.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

All true but given the bones of what's there, I think it came to them failing to get funding and refusing to quit. The game had they more space to store data could have had enough music tracks for each area, each area being distinct, more frames of animation to remove the chop, and likely 2+ more characters to get it up to SNES level averages. I don't think it's a bad game, but it's badly lacking a bit more time to bake in the oven.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I thought it was a weird choice to begin with. 16-bit systems may be nostalgic for fighting games but they're not my go-to for fighting games by a long shot. Of all the genres for a new SNES game it seemed like strange one to me.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I thought it a bit strange too considering the developers, but then realized had they gone with Neo Geo format it would have got expensive real fast given the costs of the after market parts on those compared to cheapo SNES parts.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Then why not make it a cheap indie title on PC? I dunno, there must be a reason they targeted that platform, even if that reason resulted in a weaker product.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

They probably knew they had an iffy product, but could sell it for $50 as a collector's item. As opposed to the $5-10 on Steam they'd likely get otherwise. That being said, it'll probably still end up on there in some manner, much like some of Super Fighter Team's or Watermelon's Genesis releases are available digitally.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That actually makes a lot of sense and I wondered kind of along those lines awhile back when the early complaining started when people were, well it could be beta still. Problem is it didn't change, so my guess they ran out of money as the campaign fell short so they cut it off as is. If they shoveled it on Steam for $10 a pop, it rapidly would have fallen to the ~ or thumbs down for mixed to bad reviews with a revolving door of the same complaints (short, few music pieces, shared stages, few on the roster, lack of animation frames, etc.) They'd have sold very little and only moved stuff maybe in a 50-75% off sale day. At $50 they took advantage of the collector market and moved games at a better more expensive pace.