Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
opa
Next-Gen

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?

Post by opa »

6 Golden Coins has that weird vertical scrolling wherein the world is larger than the screen and it scrolls with the character. I don't like that. I prefer to see the whole playing area on-screen; seems a little more fair to be able to see what's ahead than fall for instant death pits or enemies out of sight.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
marurun wrote:
bruhmoment wrote:metal gear solid is overrated,super mario 64 isnt that good,mario kart 64 is the best mario kart game

Those are pretty popular unpopular opinions.

He's right on Mario Kart.

I used to think that way about Mario Kart 64. But, I think that was nostalgia in my mind.

I fully believe that Double-Dash is the best Mario Kart. The game play and tracks are just absolutely superb.

I'd also say Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is probably a close second. I don't like as many of the tracks in it, but the feel and depth of characters is amazing.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

For a long time Mario Kart 64 was my favourite but Mario Kart 8 is the best especially with all the DLC. It's equally great either on your tod or with friends which is where I felt Double Dash and Wii kind of fell down as they bordered on being party games rather than racers.

This isn't really an unpopular opinion but the Mario Galaxy games left me a bit cold. I recognise what brilliantly designed games they are and enjoyed playing them but I never felt the urge to 100% them like I did with Mario 64 and Odyssey.

If I did have an unpopular opinion it'd be that Naughty Dog peaked with Crash Bandicoot 2. Since then they've made a succession of very pretty but increasingly mechanically uninteresting games. Uncharted and Last of Us look like and sound like a decent HBO show but as games they play like nothing moved on from Gears 1.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Rings of Power is my favorite Naughty Dog game.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I played that game on an emulator once and thought the file was corrupted since the music was just a random jumble of harsh metallic twangs and shitty pan pipes. Turns out that's how it was meant to sound.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Whenever folks bring up Naughty Dog, I think of Cavedog instead and think we are talking about Total Annihilation.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

The wii has a better line up of first party nes games than any nintendo console ever made, this seems like a controversial statement but if you actually examine the wii library it is unarguable.

They have:

- a great 2d mario
- the best 3d marios
-amazing zelda games
- the best versions of the metroid prime games
- the best kirby game
- the best punch out game
- the best wario ware title
- one of the best 2d wario platformers
- a solid mario kart
- one of the best, if not the best, donkey kong country game
- great mario parties that anyone can play
- a fun entry in the paper mario series
- the best sports game ever made
- new entries in the "excite" series which are really fun
- a suite of great mario sports titles
- a solid fire emblem game
-best versions of pikmin

There may be a few that I am missing, and while they do not have a proper pokemon game and I don't know enough about smash to comment on that, can anyone name a nintendo console with a better line up of first party games than the wii??

I do think that by the time the switch's life ends it will surpass the wii for first party titles but for now the wii is king.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

That's some solid reasoning. I'd say the SNES has the best line up of first party games myself although my actual preference is for the N64.

I do disagree however about the best 3D Mario, amazing Zeldas, best Kirby and best sports game. I would go as far to say the Wii has the worst console Zelda with Skyward Sword.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Sload Soap wrote:That's some solid reasoning. I'd say the SNES has the best line up of first party games myself although my actual preference is for the N64.

I do disagree however about the best 3D Mario, amazing Zeldas, best Kirby and best sports game. I would go as far to say the Wii has the worst console Zelda with Skyward Sword.

Yeah, if you agree with the premises, the conclusion stands, but I'd say the only bullet point on pook99's list I agree with (outside of the games I don't care about at all like all the party games) is that Mario Kart Wii is "solid." Not even great, but solid. The number one reason the Wii games automatically aren't great is that they all have waggle nonsense.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

o.pwuaioc wrote:The number one reason the Wii games automatically aren't great is that they all have waggle nonsense.

Yep. I tried to give some of the mentioned games a shot on Wii, but just didn't have fun playing them with forced motion controls. IE, didn't like NSMB Wii when I tried playing it, but rolled credits on 2 and U. Tried to play Galaxy, didn't stick. Rolled credits on 3D World and Odyssey.

Metroid Prime was one that I did finish, but I didn't move on to play the other two due to the controls.

Admittedly, there's a fairly narrow scope of Nintendo IPs I particularly care about anyway, but controls are a pretty core part of the experience, and I can definitely say that Nintendo's choices with the Wii kept/keep me from really enjoying it like I may have otherwise.