Question about the Etrian Odyssey series...

Level up here
MrEco
Next-Gen

Question about the Etrian Odyssey series...

Post by MrEco »

I plan on buying a 3DS a couple weeks from now (After saving up some paychecks) and one of the series I'm really interested in are the Etrian Odyssey games.

But to be honest, catching up on a 4 game long series when there's so many other DS games (And a few 3DS games of course) to also be playing would be a bit of a hassle.

So I'm wondering, does this series have a story worth keeping up with? Or is there some other redeemable quality to the older games in the series over the newest IV on 3DS? Cause if not then I think I'll just skip ahead to III or IV and not bother with the other's.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Question about the Etrian Odyssey series...

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

They are all great games.

I'm sure you could start with IV and not feel lost.

I was just going to comment on how expensive I-III are now, but the prices have gone down significantly on Amazon. Reprint?
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

There are not many games released nowadays that require you to play every game in the series.

I think you'll be safe starting with the new one.
Betamax001
Next-Gen

Post by Betamax001 »

I played a bit of the first one and it's pretty story lite. It boils down to create your party and go explore this dungeon. I'd imagine you could start with the fourth one and be ok and if you like it, pick the other ones up while you can.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
Boyward
16-bit

Post by Boyward »

Etrian Odyssey is a "series" in terms of gameplay and art style, not in terms of story. I have played all of the first three Etrian Odyssey games and from what I remember there really wasn't any significant story link between any of them. Each story is pretty much self-contained, so I say start with the new game and if you really enjoy the gameplay then you can go back and enjoy the earlier ones too.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I was just going to comment on how expensive I-III are now, but the prices have gone down significantly on Amazon. Reprint?

Yup, 1-3 were just reprinted.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Atlus is awesome for reprinting this and Radiant Historia. I hate feeling like I have to buy an RPG at launch just to beat the hoarders, flippers, and gougers.

Anyway, now that 1-3 are easier to find, I say play them in order! 8)
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I really wish the would reprint radiant historia again or port it to the 3ds i really want to play this. Its back up to $70, if anyone wants to sell me a copy for under $40 let me know :)
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

Alright, thanks everyone. I think that for now I'll start off with IV. And depending on how much I like that one overall I might go back and play the earlier ones.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores