Top Local Multiplayer FPS per Console

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Top Local Multiplayer FPS per Console

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Per the title, what are the best local multiplayer FPS titles for each console, say, PS1 and up. If you guys don't mind, please share what makes that title so good. I'm rather ignorant here, but I do love going toe to toe with good friends, like we used to in GoldenEye days.

As a side note, would Unreal Championship fall into this category (i.e. best local multiplayer FPS).

I can even start!

N64:

GoldenEye
Perfect Dark
Last edited by o.pwuaioc on Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonic2041
24-bit

Re: Top Local Multiplayer FPS per Console

Post by sonic2041 »

Gamecube:

Timesplitters 2

I has a lot of fun playing the custom maps with my cousins.

007 Nightfire

If I remember correctly this game had remote control helicopters you could fly around.

Red Faction 2

I don't know why, but I just remember playing this a lot.

Those are the 3 I remember right now but if I think of more I will add them.

EDIT:

Red Faction had destroyable environments, which was cool back then. Now that I think about it more I can't remember if that carried over into multiplayer, I will have to play this again the next time my cousins are over.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

I havent even played a FPS on PS1, but I would give Syphon Filters MP a go (although 3rd person).

Battle Sport which I own on the 3DO (there are other ports), is a FPS as in you shoot a ball into a goal. lol, but the 2player fun is as addictive as a Mario Kart game.

Theres probably a few that others can mention, but when I think of your thread title the OBox pops straight to mind. Really any FPS on the sytem either lan or split screen can be much fun to an extent. I say peep a list of FPS for xbox and experiment.

My tried and true favorites:
-Unreal Championship this one in paticular, but I think the series as a whole is worth digging into. I love the hyper game play, CTF and bots!

-Timesplitters 2 & Future Perfect, Tier 1 perfection.

-Serious Sam no need for introduction... or maybe for those who arent familiar. Arena style FPS with waves upon waves of absurd enemies and bosses. Very Frantic, excellent coop and charming (I dont remember anything comparable).

The list really goes on and on Halo, Far Cry, Ghost Recon etc etc.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

do LAN enabled games count, or are you just looking for split screen stuff?
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Hmmm, good question. I just thought of local network so thats why I suggested some lan opportunity, most older sytems shouldnt cost too much to get a small setup going.

Xbox-$20-60
Xbox FPS-$1-5 each
Goodwill TV-$10-20
Eternet Cable-$1-3
Total-$32-78 bucks low to high, not bad for this type of experience. :)
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Quake III Arena can run on the Dreamcast with mouse and keyboard so that's my pick.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament on DC both offer 1-4 player split screen. I've not popped in Unreal myself, but Quake III is fun as hell.

http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/noise ... a-2252.php
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

noiseredux wrote:Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament on DC both offer 1-4 player split screen. I've not popped in Unreal myself, but Quake III is fun as hell.

http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/noise ... a-2252.php

I got both of those last year and already had the DC keyboard, so I also got the DC mouse and both are really good. The graphic quality on Quake III is pretty mindblowing on the DC, not to mention the bots are pretty good. Only drawback on 4 player local multi is you can't obviously have 4 sets of keyboard/mouse. I'd not do those with that controller!

For non-local multiplayer, I still do UT2k4 pretty much everyday, hard to believe servers are still around, and mod and map community is healthy. Maybe because they dropped the ball on UT3 :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

ExedExes wrote:For non-local multiplayer, I still do UT2k4 pretty much everyday, hard to believe servers are still around, and mod and map community is healthy. Maybe because they dropped the ball on UT3 :lol:

Same reason people still play MOHAA and Battlefield 2 online. Heck, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat is still up on PS2. That's almost absurd.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

dsheinem wrote:do LAN enabled games count, or are you just looking for split screen stuff?

I was initially thinking split screen stuff, but if you just mark it LAN, those are more than welcome too.

TEKTORO wrote:Hmmm, good question. I just thought of local network so thats why I suggested some lan opportunity, most older sytems shouldnt cost too much to get a small setup going.

It's not the price, but LAN does me no good when I have three guests over and we're wanting to throw down in an arena with some cool guns. But there's no reason why it can't be included, too, just marked with LAN.