Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
dalecooper

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

Post by dalecooper »

So I read the whole thread hoping I would run into someone who had the same problem as me with their Trinitron but unfortunately it didn't come up. I did find another thread with a sort of similar situation but I can't find the link now.

I've got a Sony Trinitron KV-36HS510 Basically what's happening is that I can turn on the TV by pushing the button on the TV. The picture shows up and the sound works great. It functions just as it did when it was fully functional. The problem is none of the buttons on the TV work right and the remote seems to be useless. When the buttons on the TV are pressed the menu screen pops up, but when the same button or any other buttons are pressed the menu screen vanishes. So nothing in the menu can be accessed. All I can really do is turn the TV on and off, can't change channels or volume. However the menu button itself does nothing, maybe the problem is with that button?

I tried doing a factory reset and a hard reset but since the TV doesn't seem to be receiving a signal from the remote those didn't work.

Has anyone had a similar experience or maybe could offer some advice? Thanks so much!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

dalecooper wrote:All I can really do is turn the TV on and off, can't change channels or volume. However the menu button itself does nothing, maybe the problem is with that button?

This is strange. The Menu Button on the TV is suspicious, but it could be any button on the face panel. To isolate the remote from the problem leave the batteries out of it. You could try tapping all the buttons on the TV Panel a few times, maybe one is stuck on. If no luck try the remote again with fresh confirmed working batteries. Be sure to select TV on the Remote.

BE CAREFUL HIGH VOLTAGE AT THE BACK OF THE TUBE EVEN WHEN UNPLUGGED.

If these attempts fail, unplug and pop the back cover for a closer look at all the buttons from the inside. While you are looking inside, dust out the PCB with a soft brush. Have care of the Flyback, it might still have stray high voltage. You will have to peer under the tube, not much room in there. Spray a very little bit of Alcohol or Contact Cleaner at each button contact then blow out with a can of air. Let dry for a few hours before plugging back in.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

36HS510? That's the broken one I have!

Those TVs auto-discharge pretty quickly after being unplugged, you really won't have much to worry about in terms of like, getting shocked to death while it's opened or something. Still always important to be careful though.

I'm waiting to find a D-Board for mine. Replaced those stupid ICs in it twice and still couldn't get rid of my blinking problem.
dalecooper

Post by dalecooper »

Thanks for the tips so far. I'm going to try opening it up and getting some contact cleaner on the buttons. Definitely still going to wait a few days for it to discharge though. I'll let you all know how it goes.
dalecooper

Post by dalecooper »

Well I finally popped it open. It was real dusty. I had to pull out the board area to get access to the buttons. They all seems to work fine. I blew each one out and it pushed no problem. I really wanted to be able to turn on the tv and push them at the same time but since they're so close to the tube that would be really stupid.

It seemed in working order, nothing looked out of place. But of course when I put it back together the same problem was happening. Only the menu would pop up if you pressed any of the buttons, and would vanish when any button was pushed again. When you press the menu button nothing happens.

So at this point I'm stuck. If anyone knows someone who has had this problem or someone knows electronics good please let me know if they have any advice.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

I came home from work today and my girlfriend goes "the tv won't turn on"

sure enough my Sony WEGA KV-30HS420 had the 7 blinking lights :evil:

i did the blow dryer trick and it worked but i still want to replace the chips on the D board

does anyone know a good place to buy the MCZ3001DB ICs? TSM is sold out.

i guess i'll just leave the tv on in the meantime... :?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

dalecooper wrote:Well I finally popped it open. It was real dusty. I had to pull out the board area to get access to the buttons. They all seems to work fine. I blew each one out and it pushed no problem. I really wanted to be able to turn on the tv and push them at the same time but since they're so close to the tube that would be really stupid.

It seemed in working order, nothing looked out of place. But of course when I put it back together the same problem was happening. Only the menu would pop up if you pressed any of the buttons, and would vanish when any button was pushed again. When you press the menu button nothing happens.

So at this point I'm stuck. If anyone knows someone who has had this problem or someone knows electronics good please let me know if they have any advice.

I'd go over to AVS forum and ask the people there. That's where the trick of replacing those ICs came from, perhaps someone there might have some ideas.
julian49

Post by julian49 »

To source the MCZ3001DB IC's try eBay.

Just search for IC MCZ3001DB. I got mine from eBay seller called miamielectronics.

I also found the hair dryer trick worked for a while, but eventually the IC needed to be replaced.

Good Luck.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

julian49 wrote:To source the MCZ3001DB IC's try eBay.

Just search for IC MCZ3001DB. I got mine from eBay seller called miamielectronics.

I also found the hair dryer trick worked for a while, but eventually the IC needed to be replaced.

Good Luck.

I swear I searched eBay last night and came up with zero results.
I just tried again and came up with 70 results :oops:

Thanks, Julian!

and thanks for the guide, CRTGAMER :wink:
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

EllertMichael wrote:
julian49 wrote:To source the MCZ3001DB IC's try eBay.

Good Luck.
I swear I searched eBay last night and came up with zero results.
I just tried again and came up with 70 results :oops:

Thanks, Julian!

and thanks for the guide, CRTGAMER :wink:

Thanks! Good luck on the Repair. Please post your results, any problems or different tricks in the repair you come up with.

Until you get the chips, be sure the TV gets a signal feed such as cable or antennae if you are leaving it on. You do not want to get a screen burn of the input logo, it stays on when there is no signal.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425