PS2: hard or soft mod?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Hatta
Next-Gen

PS2: hard or soft mod?

Post by Hatta »

Is there any reason to prefer a PS2 mod chip over a memory card with Free MC boot?

Once you have FreeMC boot, is there any point to having a boot disc like swap magic or hd advance?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
ThunderPrince
24-bit

Re: PS2: hard or soft mod?

Post by ThunderPrince »

what is freeMC boot?
is it cheaper than Swap Magic? I was thinking of buying that.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

I keep my swap magic around as an emergency backup means to reinstall FreeMCBoot if I ever fuck it up. But really, FreeMCBoot can do nearly everything a mod chip can, as long as you do a little studying and learn the methods required.
nickfil
Next-Gen

Post by nickfil »

Can you load off of a harddrive with freemcboot or just burns? I'm completely new to softmodding the ps2. I kind of thought it couldn't be done.
Citizin
24-bit

Post by Citizin »

Any opinions on what's the best software to use for installing/playing games off of a hardrive?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

ThunderPrince wrote:what is freeMC boot?
is it cheaper than Swap Magic? I was thinking of buying that.

nickfil wrote:Can you load off of a harddrive with freemcboot or just burns? I'm completely new to softmodding the ps2. I kind of thought it couldn't be done.

Citizin wrote:Any opinions on what's the best software to use for installing/playing games off of a hardrive?

Guys, come on. :x

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6136
nickfil
Next-Gen

Post by nickfil »

Mozgus wrote:Guys, come on. :x

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6136

i heart you moz! Turn that frown upside down!

no but thanks for the link. I should've searched for it.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

No kidding Moz. I hesitated to ask my question for that reason, but I had some trouble finding a good summary of features.

Anyway, I've got to say I'm a little impressed that there's no way to soft mod a PS2 from the ground up. You either need a mod chip or a pressed boot disk just to get started with Free MC Boot. Still a pretty low barrier for entry, but that's one small success for Sony's DRM.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Hatta wrote:No kidding Moz. I hesitated to ask my question for that reason, but I had some trouble finding a good summary of features.

Anyway, I've got to say I'm a little impressed that there's no way to soft mod a PS2 from the ground up. You either need a mod chip or a pressed boot disk just to get started with Free MC Boot. Still a pretty low barrier for entry, but that's one small success for Sony's DRM.

Or you just need to send your memory card to anyone with the means to install it for you, be it someone with the above mentioned resources, or have the exploit installed already.
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Post by dlmvii »

You can also install it through an action replay type device, if you have/can find one.
Actually, I believe you first have to install the independence exploit with an AR, then you can use that exploit to install freeMCBoot.