Together Retro: Deja Vu

Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Deja Vu

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:Ok, figured out how to reload the .38, went back and shot the file cabinet, got the files, ditched the gun, ditched everything I possibly could. Went to the police station. Got arrested. Yknow what? Fuck this game. It makes you work WAY too hard for tiny little things.

@Dave: This isn't the sort of adventure game I'd tell someone to play so that they could get into the genre. (Did you play Monkey Island with us in 2008 BTW?)

If you ditch everything you dont have the evidence you need to prove who's guilty.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I was fairly sure I had everything I needed. But I don't even think I care anymore. :(
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Post by FerretGamer »

Do you guys think I should even bother with this month's game?

I'm sort of interested yet I'm also dissuaded because of the discussion here.
Amazingly enough, a local store actually has the game for $4.50, so I'm contemplating it.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

FerretGamer wrote:Do you guys think I should even bother with this month's game?

I'm sort of interested yet I'm also dissuaded because of the discussion here.
Amazingly enough, a local store actually has the game for $4.50, so I'm contemplating it.

if you were going to have to order the game I'd say skip it or emulate. But honestly for $4.50 it's worth trying. You may not love it. Most of us don't. But it is at least interesting to see how rough around the edges early console adventure games were, and sheds some interesting light on just how far the genre came (and went) in a relatively short amount of time. The point of our game club is to experience something together, but independently. Don't take MY word for it that the game is frustrating... let it frustrate you for the next week. There's worse ways to spend $4.50 haha.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I hope next year we can play a more recent adventure game, because I love the genre when it's done right. I know it's a LONG way off yet, but I'm still pushing for Sam and Max season 1 :D
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alienjesus wrote:I hope next year we can play a more recent adventure game, because I love the genre when it's done right. I know it's a LONG way off yet, but I'm still pushing for Sam and Max season 1 :D

they'll be a thread for that.
SplashChick
64-bit

Post by SplashChick »

It's a good game, it's just aggravatingly difficult.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

noiseredux wrote:Ok, figured out how to reload the .38, went back and shot the file cabinet, got the files, ditched the gun, ditched everything I possibly could. Went to the police station. Got arrested. Yknow what? Fuck this game. It makes you work WAY too hard for tiny little things.

Hm. Maybe it was the NES version of the game that took away most of these dead-end issues. (Also allowed you to gamble your way to $20.)

noiseredux wrote:@Dave: This isn't the sort of adventure game I'd tell someone to play so that they could get into the genre. (Did you play Monkey Island with us in 2008 BTW?)

You guys did that here too?
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

pakopako wrote:You guys did that here too?

yeah in 2008.
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

noiseredux wrote:
pakopako wrote:You guys did that here too?
yeah in 2008.

And how many remembered to not get screwed over by the plank?
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.