What are the best retro gaming remakes?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Gao
8-bit

Re: Best Remake/s ever?

Post by Gao »

My two favorites are Metroid: Zero Mission and Double Dragon Advance. Both were pretty loose remakes that took the best aspects of their respective franchises to make something amazing.
xXN3cr0Xx

Post by xXN3cr0Xx »

Incognito D wrote:
xXN3cr0Xx wrote:What is in your opinion the best remakes that you've played?

My answer would be the Phoenix Wright games (They were released before as Gyakuten Saiban in Japan for GBA but got never outside until the NDS Version releases).

Weren't they just ports though? Albeit with a second display and touchscreen controls added on DS

I guess you're right, but feel that even a remake with only slight changes is a big accomplishment.
:Q
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

probably the remakes i've played the most is SSFIIHD and Street of Rage Remix :mrgreen:
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Re: What are the best retro gaming remakes?

Post by BurningDoom »

The Best, IMO:

-Resident Evil (Gamecube) - An absolute masterpiece that pushed the system to it's limits. The lighting effects are amazing. They also add just enough in to make it feel new, but not so much that it changes the game and story.

-Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) - I still have trouble making it through the original Metroid. But this remake, is a delight to play through with it's completely updated controls and entirely new graphics and engine, as well as an entirely new "chapter" added to the gameplay.

-Bionic Commando: Rearmed (XBox Live Arcade) - I still prefer the original NES version, but the remake was done as a labor of love and it shows. Great 2D graphics upgrade, and as addictive as ever.

-Super Mario Bros. (via Super Mario All-Stars (SNES/Wii)) - Again, I prefer the original NES version. But this version leaves the gameplay entirely intact, while upgrading the graphics and sound, and does a good job at it.

-Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (via Super Mario All-Stars (SNES/Wii) - This one is awesome because for those of us that reside in the U.S., this was the only way to play this game. And Super Mario Bros. rocks!
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I really enjoyed Defender on PS2. It's a 3D remake with some pretty intense battles and appropriately high difficulty. The ships handle really well too.

Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Riviera: The Promised Land - the GBA and PSP versions are excellent (original game was Japan-only and on the Wonderswan Color).

Ys: The Oath in Felghana is a remake of the third game. It "fits" much better with the rest of the series, as it's overhead instead of using the sidescrolling Zelda II viewpoint.

The PSX (and Saturn) versions of the Lunar games are better than the originals.

Apologies if any of these have been mentioned, I haven't had time to read the whole thread.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

Star Ocean: Second Evolution is great. Everything that is awesome about The Second Story, plus anime scenes and really good voice acting. In Star Ocean! Who knew?
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ooohhhh I just finished that last night. I'm gonna check out First Departure soon.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Nearly 10-year Necro-bump! I mentioned in another thread about Lode Runner: Mad Monk's Revenge being remade:
https://mmr.quarkrobot.com/
I have lots more to mention, but I'm out of town still, and I was really just trying to find an old post I made about my friend Jorge Fuentes' remake of Castlevania 3.
Anyone play any good retro-remakes lately?
edit: found it
https://castlevaniafan.fandom.com/wiki/ ... %27s_Curse
My version might be different than the link.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage