The Wrestling Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Post by Raging Justice »

Reprise wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:35 pm Good to hear:
The early days of All Elite Wrestling saw the company heralded for its approach to long-term storytelling, with the rise of Hangman Adam Page regarded by many as one of the greatest storylines of the past decade.

It seems as though AEW are trying to revert to more long-term storytelling going forward, with a report from Fightful Select suggesting that AEW have put ‘solid plans’ in place for top programmes throughout much of 2024, save for any disruptions due to injury.
~Cultaholic
I like this. Though not everyone necessarily needs to have a long term story line, especially with so many indie and international talents coming in and out of the company

Hangman's original story far eclipses the joke that was Cody's "story"
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Dave Meltzer gave Cody vs AJ at Backlash 5 stars.

Fuck you WWE! You mind tricks won't work on me! I still see you for the shitty promotion that you are! You'll never brainwash me! NEVER!!!

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Raging Justice wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:36 pm You know I think AEW should lean into the, "Where the best wrestle" thing. Like we should start hearing it said more and more on their shows. I also think they should have random video packages on every episode of Dynamite, Rampage, and Collision focusing on one wrestler and going over their careers and pointing out incredible matches and accomplishments that they've had with a few clips and highlights being shown. Also show any type of press or social media reactions that they've gotten. I remember WWE used to have random video packages during some of their pay per views that were basically just a showcase for one talent and letting the casual viewer know why that person is fucking awesome. AEW could do a variation of that but with slightly more of a focus on the talent's matches and wrestling ability unlike WWE's more "sports entertainment" focused video packages.

I think AEW should start taking pride in their international and indie flavor as well, we do see more of the wrestling world's talent both indie and global in AEW than we do in WWE and AEW doesn't take enough advantage of that. For example, has there ever been a video package on Mina Shirakawa? She just starts showing up in AEW with little fanfare. We should have had something like this but obviously longer, more elaborate, and more detailed, going over her character and history a bit and it should have been narrated by someone like Excalibur:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-7-ESttAho4

Or even better, you could have had Maria May narrating. She'd make it a bit more fun and colorful, and in the process the audience would also learn of the connection between the two of them.

My ideal vision of AEW is a crossroads between the more sports-like presentation of promotions like NJPW with a little bit of the sports entertainment of WWE, all wrapped up in a product with maybe more of a global, international flavor than WWE. They should lean into those partnerships with CMLL, NJPW, and Stardom but you have to actually let people know who these people are and WHY they are international stars. The Mae Young and Cruiserweight Classics could be a good template for the kind of product AEW could potentially have.

I'd love some new intro videos for AEW shows focusing on the "Where the best wrestle" branding with video clips of tons of international stars as well as well known, homegrown, AEW stars featuring voice clips of stuff like Bryan Danielson saying his version of heaven is him bleeding inside of a wrestling ring. This could all lead into a collage of onscreen clips featuring all of these people eventually fading into the background as the AEW logo comes on to the screen with a voice over then saying, "All Elite Wrestling, where the BEST...WRESTLE"
I like these ideas a lot. It's a great point. And interesting points about them celebrating their more indie and international flair too. They should reclaim the 'indie' term and show that it's not a dirty or derogatory term, but something to be celebrated. I have seen "indie" being thrown around a lot as an insult, particularly when AEW is discussed. It's funny, because years ago in the world of video games, "indie" became super trendy and popular.

I have seen them say "where the best wrestle" a few times, but short promotional video packages each week, on television and on social media, demonstrating that it isn't just a marketing term, but that it's a statement of fact, would be great.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Raging Justice wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:40 pm Dave Meltzer gave Cody vs AJ at Backlash 5 stars.

Lol the funny thing is, after years of seeing WWE fans getting mad at him for rarely giving the company 5 star matches, I have now seen a bunch of comments from WWE fans saying the match was good, but they don't think it's 5 stars good.

What's also funny, is... well, people have seen or heard the meme/joke people make about Dave, that a match "would have been 6 stars in the Tokyo Dome", right? Well, it's funny because I am pretty sure Dave never gave either guys 5 stars when they wrestled in Japan, and here they are getting 5 stars from Dave in a WWE ring.

Anyways, I haven't seen the match and can't really comment. I used to be obsessed with AJ Styles when he was in TNA, but haven't followed him so closely in WWE.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Reprise wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:07 pm
Raging Justice wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:40 pm Dave Meltzer gave Cody vs AJ at Backlash 5 stars.

Lol the funny thing is, after years of seeing WWE fans getting mad at him for rarely giving the company 5 star matches, I have now seen a bunch of comments from WWE fans saying the match was good, but they don't think it's 5 stars good.

What's also funny, is... well, people have seen or heard the meme/joke people make about Dave, that a match "would have been 6 stars in the Tokyo Dome", right? Well, it's funny because I am pretty sure Dave never gave either guys 5 stars when they wrestled in Japan, and here they are getting 5 stars from Dave in a WWE ring.

Anyways, I haven't seen the match and can't really comment. I used to be obsessed with AJ Styles when he was in TNA, but haven't followed him so closely in WWE.
To be fair, I haven't see it either, but it's hard to imagine a match with so little build or hype going into it being 5 star worthy. Cody's not quite on AJ's level either.

I think my first exposure to AJ Styles was during his time in NJPW. I also saw a few appearances he did in ROH at the time. He seemed like the coolest motherfucker alive at the time, even more so when he had the Young Bucks with him. They looked like rock stars when they made their entrances, and ROH crowds treated them as such. I remember hearing at the time that merchandise sales for the Bullet Club went up significantly when AJ was in charge of it. I think AJ is the guy who made Bullet Club cool, and more well known on an international level. Kenny Omega, and later Jay White, had big shoes to fill. Thankfully, both guys proved to be up to the task, but AJ is still my favorite Bullet Club leader. Finn Balor may have created the Bullet Club, but I don't think it flourished until after he was gone
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Reprise wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:07 pm

The older I get the more I realize there's no rhyme or reason to how people rate things. It's really all subjective. Like I can point out a bunch of flaws in someone's favorite movie and they'll look at me like I'm crazy and tell me that they didn't see any of those flaws in the movie at all. It is what it is. We're all living in our own little realities and they are completely different from everyone else's reality. No one's perception is the same as anyone else's

Okay, I'm going down a philosophical rabbit hole there so let me change the subject :lol:

I love these short vids that somebody has uploaded, nice and brief snippets of info on Stardom talent. This one is for Starlight Kid, who is a fan fave who is getting a lot of attention as I've mentioned with her recent face turn and speculation on whether she'll join the Cosmic Angels or possibly her original group back before her previous heel run, which was Mayu Iwatani's STARS. Her and Tam are both offshoots of STARS actually, with Tam having left the group to create her Cosmic Angels. These vids also remind me of what bangers a lot of Stardom's entrance themes are. Like, how are WWE's entrance themes so lame when we have such awesome ones from AEW, Stardom, and NJPW?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/M-7hG3hk7Zs

I mentioned before that a lot of people online have recently been poking fun at how bad WWE's entrance themes are, to the point that some people are saying they need to fire the guy who composes them all
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

So I'm kind of bored right now. I'm finishing up a work shift and I have Smackdown on, but nothing particularly interesting is happening so I'm not paying attention. The main roster stuff doesn't grab me much anymore and if I have it on it's because nothing else is on the TV. Don't know if this will interest anyone, but I think I'm gonna take a few minutes to discuss one of the more positive aspects of WWE right now. They have a lot of talented women, particularly in NXT. I think it's fun to speculate on who will break out and become big stars like Bianca Belair, the four Horsewomen, Rhea Ripley, Alexa Bliss, etc.

The most obvious one is Jade Cargill:

but we'll see how long she lasts given how limited she is. I think WWE could potentially just get bored with her at some point and when that happens, she'll get dropped down to NXT after jobbing out to some women on Smackdown. Then it'll be sink or swim time for her if she doesn't want to get future endeavored and come crawling back to AEW with her tail between her legs. It's obvious that Jade's push is largely motivated by her being from AEW, but one then has to ask the question of why she was pushed so heavily in AEW in the first place, pushed so much that WWE took notice. I think people look at her and see a modern day Chyna, something we haven't had since Beth Phoenix.

Rhea Ripley was sort of viewed in a similar vein, but she doesn't have that heavily muscled look of a Beth Phoenix, Chyna, or Jade Cargill. I think Rhea has sort of evolved into enough of her own person that she doesn't really need to be compared to anyone at this point with the Mami stuff, her relationship with Dom, and that heavy metal/punk, badass Aussie persona that she's created. So Jade could be that modern day Chyna for WWE while Rhea Ripley continues to be Rhea Bloody Ripley. Personally, I don't see why finding another Chyna is such a big deal. Chyna really stood out in her day, but in 2024 it's not like heavily muscled women are a rarity in pro wrestling, maybe they just are in WWE or AEW I guess. TNA's Jordynne Grace looks like she could easily bench press Jade Cargill and snap her in half in my opinion, but I digress.

The next really obvious one is "Tiffy Time" Tiffany Stratton:

Boy, if I could sum up Tiffy in just one sentence, I'd say she's a better, prettier (as I'm sure Tiffy would tell you herself) version of Charlotte Flair. Tiffy's the total package. She's got a good look (better than Flair), she's got a clearly defined and entertaining character (spoiled rich varsity, valley girl), she's not uncomfortable talking, and she's got a ten times better moon sault than Charlotte:

When you claim to have the "Prettiest Moon sault Eveeeer", you have to be able to back that up. So after holding the NXT women's title, and competing in a high profile main event title match with Becky Lynch, Tiffany is now in the major leagues having been regularly appearing on the main roster. It's sink or swim time for her, but she seems to be handling herself well and WWE seems to be giving her a bit of a push. She may even be getting a little mainstream attention too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qm4x09KT1c

She's so damn athletic and just makes things look GOOOOOOD:

ImageImage

Next, we have Roxanne Perez:

She's an interesting one. Trained by Booker T, who incidentally has called many of her matches in NXT, for his Reality of Wrestling promotion. She also gained the interest of Maria Kanellis, who made her the first ever Ring of Honor women's champion:

It seems that early in her career she already got the attention of some notable people in the industry. Dubbed "The Prodigy", for some reason she always reminds me a bit of Skye Blue. I think a few similarities in their looks, stature, age, and the fact that they are both up and comers in the two biggest wrestling promotions has something to do with that. Plus, there's their finishers:

It might be more apt to compare her to AJ Lee though, who she seems to be a fan of. She says she NEEDS to have a match with AJ Lee before she'll ever retire:

She's also mentioned Bayley and Paige as influences so she clearly wants to become a big star (I can see a little bit of Bayley in her actually). WWE has seemed to be invested in Roxanne for some time now. They seem to be continually testing her with one off appearances on the main roster and on pay per views (like the Royal Rumble). If dirt sheets are to be believed she has impressed the company every time. I've seen criticisms of her online saying her character is boring or that she can't promo, but she recently turned heel (which always seems to reinvigorate people's careers) and seems to be taking to it well (kind of like Jack Perry), enough so that WWE decided to put the NXT women's title back on her for a second time during Wrestlemania weekend

which leads me to the person she defeated in that match and someone else that the company seems to be invested in...

Lyra Valkyria

I think Lyra wins the most badass name award. I don't know much about her, I only watch NXT occasionally, but when the company has you win the NXT women's title from one of the top women in WWE for several years now in Becky Lynch, you take notice. That alone makes her one to keep an eye on. Maybe she'll actually BE the next Becky Lynch. WWE made a note of pointing out that they are both Irish. NXT has now used Becky Lynch to give both her and Stratton the rub by competing in title matches with them, a good reason to be optimistic about their future

Thea Hail

Of the few times I tune in to watch NXT, Thea Hail has been one of the most fun and entertaining characters on the show. She's a high energy, light hearted character who has been part of this cool group called Chase U, which reminds me in some ways of Chad Gable's Alpha academy. She'd probably have been a good fit in the Alpha Academy had they called her up to the main roster. Although now that Chad Gable has turned heel, I don't really know what the Alpha Academy's future is. Thea's character is a little spit fire who seems like someone who drinks ten cups of coffee a day. She's a loveable baby face type of character who seems naive and prone to being manipulated by others. She's also HARDCORE into her training. Her persona is all about pushing her body's limits and she seems always ready for one more rep. I haven't seen much of her matches, but assuming her ring work is good I see a great future for her. She's very young at 20 years old so the sky's the limit for her. She's someone who seems to fit perfectly into the "sports entertainment" world of WWE and is one of those people I can see just being a great character for years to come. You need people like that in wrestling. It can't just all be about 5 star matches and nothing else. I could easily see her getting super over with the right kind of story line as a loveable, underdog, babyface. She just makes you smile and want to root for her. She has had no major accomplishments yet, but she's got time, and it feels like WWE is more interested in establishing her character and telling her story. Nothing wrong with that.

Dakota Kai

I don't understand the deal with Dakota Kai. She brings so much to the table. She can act really well, in fact she plays a very effective backstabbing psycho (a recurring theme with her). She's great in the ring and can cut a promo too. However, I feel every time she gets any kind of momentum, WWE cuts the legs out from under her and jobs her out to people...over and over and over again even back when she was in NXT. She just took over Damage Control and has already had two losses...that I know of, maybe more since I don't follow the main roster regularly anymore since Cody Rhodes started stinking up the place. It's like she's in that Bryan Danielson role of always having to put everyone else over. When does she get her reward, aside from that brief, meaningless run her and Iyo had with the tag titles?

Shayna Bazler

Shayna Bazler had a really dominant run as women's champion in NXT and comes across as possibly the most legit badass on the entire WWE women's roster across all three brands. Her booking since hitting the main roster has been pretty good (she retired Ronda Rousey), but it feels like she's never really reached the next level yet. She's still got time and it's really noteworthy that WWE sent her to that recent GCW show, which certainly got people's attention. She beat one of the hottest acts from TNA and the indie scene in Masha Slamavich, a woman who certainly comes across as quite a badass bitch herself. Masha has even beaten MEN in the world of pro wrestling

Zoey Stark

So now's as good a time as any to mention Shayna's partner in crime, who was also at GCW's Bloodsport in Shayna's corner. At one time, the dirt sheets said WWE was high on Zoey Stark and she had a high profile program involving the legendary Trish Stratus. She's cooled off a bit since then, but I hope WWE still has plans for her. Don't let that Trish Stratus rub go to waste.

Chelsea Green

Jesus Christ, the amount of wasted potential right here in this woman. She's fucking gorgeous (so much so that she was recently mistaken for a real life escort :lol: ), she's funny and entertaining, she can wrestle, she's well travelled from TNA to the indies. She's also attached to one of the hottest acts in the indie scene in Matt Cardona. You could do so much with this woman, but WWE continues to use her as nothing more than a comedy act Karen character who is jobbing to people left and right and often times even acts afraid of her opponents. She recently got demoted to NXT (where she continues to be entertaining). I wonder if she wouldn't be better utilized in AEW with her real life friends Britt Baker and former TNA partner Deonna Purrazzo.

Piper Niven

This poor girl got named "Dew Drop" by Vince McMahon :roll:

Nia Jax has had a pretty decent run recently as a monster on the women's roster on Raw, and is now gunning for Bayley's title on Smackdown. As good as Nia has been lately, Piper is so much better and could do so much more with the kind of push Nia is getting. Instead she's been paired with Chelsea Green doing comedy for months now. Don't get me wrong, she's been entertaining in that role, but I think she can do more

Women WWE needs to stop trying to push:

Raquel Gonzalez

She has NO CHARISMA AND IS BORING. Stop trying to make her a thing WWE

Zelina Vega

See above comments regarding Raquel Gonzalez

Liv Morgan

She's kind of hot...that's all I have to say. She literally brings nothing else to the table. She's like a bargain bin, shitty, version of Alexa Bliss. You can't beat the original:

Random thoughts on a few other women:

Cora Jade is someone else whose name I've seen pop up a few times and she's feuded with Roxanne Perex. I think CM Punk has a thing for her too, but nothing I've seen from Jade has impressed me. She's a horrible actress, comes across as a poser, and had a brief Twitter battle with Darby Allin once that kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I've seen some stuff from Arianna Grace recently that I've found entertaining (she's now hanging out with Chelsea Green of all people who is taking some time away from the main roster). She has this funny beauty queen gimmick and apparently doesn't like fighting :lol:

Another one to recently get my attention is The Bride from Kill Bill...I mean Karmen Petrovic...just because I like her gimmick. She seems to be a legit badass with a martial arts background too.

Indi Hartwell seemed like someone with a bright future, she's a former NXT women's champion, but it seems like ever since she hit the main roster she floundered. Also, Teagen Knox was a bright spot way back in Black and Gold NXT, so was Candice LeRae, but they've yet to really break out in any way on the main roster. Candice is one I'm a little surprised by, she's talented. She had a recent heel turn, I hope it amounts to something for her. Jesus, took a while to finish this post from when I started it :lol:

EDIT: Completely unrelated to the rest of this post but, Will Ospreay vs Orange Cassidy for the International title would have been a much bigger match than Ospreay vs. Roderick Strong
Last edited by Raging Justice on Sat May 11, 2024 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Raging Justice wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:20 am EDIT: Completely unrelated to the rest of this post but, Will Ospreay vs Orange Cassidy for the International title would have been a much bigger match than Ospreay vs. Roderick Strong
That would have been a much bigger match, agreed. They had a match before, right? Was it the first Forbidden Door?

I recently saw something about Danhausen at GCW, which got me thinking about how he never seems to be on AEW television, and then I immediately saw a post from a wrestling page about the 5 most underutilized guys in AEW. These were their 5 picks:

-Ricky Starks
-Saraya
-Rush
-Jay White
-Athena
-Johnny TV

I think I said it before, but I think one of the more frustrating aspects of AEW is how guys have storylines or matches and then will seemingly disappear into thin air. Then they return, have some kind of angle or story, then disappear again. Rinse, repeat.

I am not a huge Saraya fan. Out of the women that came out of NXT around the same time as her, I thought she was probably one of the weakest, but she's still a big name that could have been (and perhaps should have been) utilised better. it's become clear for a while that AEW don't really know what to do with her.

She has this huge win at Wembley, that honestly I have to admit I was wrong about, because the crowd actually popped for it and it seemed to go down well with the British crowd. BUT that's the annoying thing. There was no real build to it, no momentum behind Saraya, no big story about her fighting her way to the top. It was handled in quite a fickle way, "i.e. Oh we have a massive show coming up in the UK, give Saraya the title, then have her immediately drop it not long after the show and move her down to Rampage to fart about not doing very much".

Ricky is probably going to WWE. Rumours of him being frustrated in AEW and wanting to follow Cody and Punk, both of whom he was close with, have been going on for a while. I don't think he would be booked better there, but whatever. If he's happier there, then that's all that really matters.

He's another guy who I can understand being frustrated though. They don't seem to know what to do with him. Fairly recently, I think the creation of Collision initially most benefited Starks (with Jay White, Miro, Hobbs, Andrade and the House of Black closely behind). I still get kinda annoyed looking back at how good Collision initially was before Punk implosion #2 changed things. Starks seemed to be really getting over with the crowd around the time he won the Owen Hart Cup. I think Fightful even reported he was originally scheduled to main event All Out against Punk. Then Punk got fired and after a short feud with the BCC they stuck him in the tag-team with Big Bill, which was mostly fine... They got a big win over FTR, but since dropping the belts nothing of note has really happened. Now Starks is off TV for seemingly no reason and Big Bill is part of Jericho's storyline (side note, there were rumours Ricky is injured, but he has said those rumours aren't true).

Jay White is really entertaining in Bullet Club Gold and there have been plenty of good moments, but that match against MJF, that I gather was very WWE/Sports Entertainment esque and involved and angle with MJF beating him with a kayfabe injury (I haven't seen it), seemed to hurt him. I would like to see him get more of a singles push and more of a spotlight shun on him this year. Maybe he will though. They teased his history with Ospreay in the recent battle royal.

Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Reprise wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:09 am
Raging Justice wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:20 am EDIT: Completely unrelated to the rest of this post but, Will Ospreay vs Orange Cassidy for the International title would have been a much bigger match than Ospreay vs. Roderick Strong
That would have been a much bigger match, agreed. They had a match before, right? Was it the first Forbidden Door?

I recently saw something about Danhausen at GCW, which got me thinking about how he never seems to be on AEW television, and then I immediately saw a post from a wrestling page about the 5 most underutilized guys in AEW. These were their 5 picks:

-Ricky Starks
-Saraya
-Rush
-Jay White
-Athena
-Johnny TV

I think I said it before, but I think one of the more frustrating aspects of AEW is how guys have storylines or matches and then will seemingly disappear into thin air. Then they return, have some kind of angle or story, then disappear again. Rinse, repeat.

I am not a huge Saraya fan. Out of the women that came out of NXT around the same time as her, I thought she was probably one of the weakest, but she's still a big name that could have been (and perhaps should have been) utilised better. it's become clear for a while that AEW don't really know what to do with her.

She has this huge win at Wembley, that honestly I have to admit I was wrong about, because the crowd actually popped for it and it seemed to go down well with the British crowd. BUT that's the annoying thing. There was no real build to it, no momentum behind Saraya, no big story about her fighting her way to the top. It was handled in quite a fickle way, "i.e. Oh we have a massive show coming up in the UK, give Saraya the title, then have her immediately drop it not long after the show and move her down to Rampage to fart about not doing very much".

Ricky is probably going to WWE. Rumours of him being frustrated in AEW and wanting to follow Cody and Punk, both of whom he was close with, have been going on for a while. I don't think he would be booked better there, but whatever. If he's happier there, then that's all that really matters.

He's another guy who I can understand being frustrated though. They don't seem to know what to do with him. Fairly recently, I think the creation of Collision initially most benefited Starks (with Jay White, Miro, Hobbs, Andrade and the House of Black closely behind). I still get kinda annoyed looking back at how good Collision initially was before Punk implosion #2 changed things. Starks seemed to be really getting over with the crowd around the time he won the Owen Hart Cup. I think Fightful even reported he was originally scheduled to main event All Out against Punk. Then Punk got fired and after a short feud with the BCC they stuck him in the tag-team with Big Bill, which was mostly fine... They got a big win over FTR, but since dropping the belts nothing of note has really happened. Now Starks is off TV for seemingly no reason and Big Bill is part of Jericho's storyline (side note, there were rumours Ricky is injured, but he has said those rumours aren't true).

Jay White is really entertaining in Bullet Club Gold and there have been plenty of good moments, but that match against MJF, that I gather was very WWE/Sports Entertainment esque and involved and angle with MJF beating him with a kayfabe injury (I haven't seen it), seemed to hurt him. I would like to see him get more of a singles push and more of a spotlight shun on him this year. Maybe he will though. They teased his history with Ospreay in the recent battle royal.
Yeah, you bring up some good points

I don't know why but ever since Mercedes showed up, I've felt like Saraya should be partnered up with her in some way. Mercedes is floundering a bit on her own, maybe she needs a small group surrounding her or something. They signed Saraya's brother and recently Saraya has been used to try and get him over as well as Harley Cameron. She's become kind of like a manager now and I think has been fine in that role. If Saraya was still great in the ring and if the fans actually cared about her, a feud between her and Mercedes could have been great, but it feels like Saraya has not lived up to her potential in AEW and maybe a manager type role is best for her right now.

It's sad, her and Mercedes are two people who were heralded for what they did for women's wrestling and its perception in WWE, This is the woman that arguably started the women's revolution as the first NXT women's champion, she then took the divas title off of AJ Lee in her first match on the main roster, becoming the youngest one to hold that title. Saraya was headed for big things in WWE but everything surrounding the sex tape as well as her dysfunctional and abusive (on both sides it would seem) relationship with Alberto Del Rio permanently damaged her reputation forever. Then her injury derailed her career further putting her in a pointless general manager role. Saraya feels like a has been now and her coming to AEW was a chance to really re-establish herself, but it hasn't really happened. The moment at Wembley was nice, but it didn't feel like she really earned it or deserved it and ultimately it did nothing for her. She's like a nobody in AEW right now. I still think in an alternate reality, WWE might have done better to make Emma the first NXT women's champion instead of Saraya, and give her the push that Saraya got. Emma was just a better overall talent and not as irresponsible, immature, dysfunctional, and reckless off camera as Saraya ended up being

I have always felt like AEW didn't get enough mileage out of the connections that Jay White and Adam Cole have with The Elite. Maybe it's far too late at this point, but I always thought there were some intriguing possibilities there. I also think there's mileage in a Jay White/Hangman feud. They've fought before but never had a REAL feud IMO. I also just love how in my mind it would play out like a Western with Sheriff Hangman going after the bandit gang that is Bullet Club Gold :lol: It is so weird to have a version of Bullet Club in AEW, and yet they don't feel like a big deal and have never had any kind of meaningful feud or alliance with The Elite. Weird. Missed opportunities

Ricky was seen on video losing his mind at Wrestlemania when Cody won the title. That rubbed some AEW fans (and probably some people behind the scenes in AEW) the wrong way. Bayley, Tamina, and Naomi were much more low key when they went to Dynamite to see the debut of Mercedes. i also think many people saw them being there as a harmless thing because they were just there to support their friend, but with Ricky it just felt like more proof that he wants to go to WWE. He's a Cody mark, so maybe he should just go to WWE where Cody the politician can arrange for him to get special treatment. I think Ricky is talented, but a bit overrated by some people. In WWE, he'd go nowhere I think without Cody there to pull some strings behind the scenes for him. On another note, I hate body shaming people, but Ricky has always struck me as way too skinny. He needs to bulk up and I'm not one who typically says that about wrestlers but it's just a very noticeable thing with him in my opinion. He wants to be this larger than life character, sort of like The Rock, but he's this skinny looking dude.

People say Athena has been killing it in ROH. I saw her match with Shida at Supercard of Honor and it was awesome. For whatever reason, Tony has chosen to keep her there instead of regularly appearing in AEW. Her and Billy Starks have become a successful duo in ROH with both of them holding titles. I know a lot of people felt that Shida should have taken Athena's title so that she could move on to AEW but Tony Kahn feels differently

Johnny TV is one of the most criminally underused talents by Tony Kahn right now. He has been wasted on stupid shit like QT Marshall's dumb fake reality show, being paired up with Harley Cameron, and then having a pretty pointless match at Supercard of Honor that some people hated. Him and Taya are great and should be in AEW getting way more TV time. Johnny is one of the most unique and impressive in ring performers I have ever seen. The guy was awesome in Lucha Underground. Also, I remember when WWE released him I saw a video on youtube where he got really emotional. Like he was legitimately hurt by that and he talked about how much this business and entertaining the fans meant to him. Johnny has also pursued various things outside of pro wrestling, which I think AEW should leverage and make use of. I'm not saying he can be a huge crossover star like The Rock or Batista, but some of his outside projects have been fun and interesting.

I like what I have seen of Rush. I like his aggressive in ring style and he has charisma. I don't really know the best way for AEW to use him though. It just goes back again to the problem of AEW having more great talent than they know what to do with. WWE's problem is that they have great talents but only want to push the same people all of the time. One thing I miss about Lucha Underground was their very unpredictable booking, the polar opposite of WWE.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Some fun outside projects Johnny has done, there's so much fun stuff you could do with this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhoC14il3zM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxwL7N2OkwY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJr_71PDFC4

How is he dicking around doing nothing in AEW? Look at the awesome stuff he used to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPB4J9FsAos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWCXVPDuI48

Johnny also has one of the best gimmicks in wrestling, every time he goes somewhere he changes his last name. It's hilarious. Johnny TV. Johnny Bloodsport. Johnny Lucha :lol:

I will never forget that time that him and Taya killed Luchasaurus :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4W18c74fOE