March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad ideas!

Join in on our classic gaming club!

See thread below for poll choice descriptions.

Poll ended at Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 am

All the Rest of Dragon Quest
11%
Classic '90s RTS
22%
Eighties' Ladies' Night
28%
Koei Klassics
11%
Premillennial Mech Madness
28%

Total votes: 72

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: March's Together Retro Theme: Your 2 votes VS 5 bad idea

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:Valkyrie No Densetsu for PC Engine is another one I'm eyeing up for Ladies Night if it wins. The PC Engine port is actually from 1990, but it's a port of a 1989 arcade game, so it probably counts.

If you wanna go for the arcade original, it's on Namco Museum Vol. 5, which did see a European release.

Also, don't forget the first game in the series:

nullPointer wrote: All the Rest of Dragon Quest
I really like this one in theory. My only issue is that I still need to beat most of the games in the main series. So in some ways I'd like to spend more time with the core series before delving into the obscure aspects. Still I'm fairly fond of Dragon Quest, so I have no doubt I could find something to enjoy.

The solution is to play Torneko no Daibouken: Fushigi no Dungeon. Technically a Dragon Quest spin-off, but also the very first game in its own series (Mystery Dungeon). The game is also like 5 bucks.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The solution is to play Torneko no Daibouken: Fushigi no Dungeon. Technically a Dragon Quest spin-off, but also the very first game in its own series (Mystery Dungeon). The game is also like 5 bucks.

If anyone's interested in that game, but doesn't want to import a Super Famicom title (or can't play Super Famicom games), there's this:

nullPointer wrote:How do we feel about WRPGs that allow for the selection of gender?

If it's an '80s WRPG, and you choose an all female party, fair enough.

nullPointer wrote:Koei Klassics Koei developed Winback

That's the point I've been trying to make with Koei. They developed other games besides "watch paint dry strategy" stuff. Including action titles. But then again, maybe giving one of those classic Koei strategy games a fair try could end up being rewarding. Koei made a LOT of them, somebody out there was having a good time with that stuff. The point here is to step outside our comfort zones.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I went with mechs and RTS. Mechs cos I'm on a mini Fromsoft binge and haven't played an Armored Core since the first one.

RTS because I love Total Annihilation and C&C but never gave the others much time.

Good choices all though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Anyone who hasn't played a Civ game should change their vote to RTS.

Actually, it dawns on me that Civilization: Revolution turns 10 this year. That one was released on PS3, 360, DS, and iOS.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

noiseredux wrote:Anyone who hasn't played a Civ game should change their vote to RTS.

Actually, it dawns on me that Civilization: Revolution turns 10 this year. That one was released on PS3, 360, DS, and iOS.

That ain't real-time, fam.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Hey Ex, on those three lady mech games you posted, two of them seem to be obvious cheesecake, but what about that Power Dolls one? Tell me more about it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Anyone who hasn't played a Civ game should change their vote to RTS.

oh shit. You're right. Haha.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

noiseredux wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:

oh shit. You're right. Haha.

I mean, I LOVE Civ, so I'd totally hit that shit up if it fit with the criteria.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:Hey Ex, on those three lady mech games you posted, two of them seem to be obvious cheesecake

Actually despite the ecchi aspect, Night Slave and Metal & Lace are quality games. Some screens...

Night Slave

Metal & Lace

MrPopo wrote:but what about that Power Dolls one? Tell me more about it.

Power Dolls is a turn-based strategy game, in which the player takes role of a commander of an all-female military group manning giant mechanized battlesuits in a series of nine missions. These have objectives ranging from destroying convoys, to stalling enemy advances, to rescuing captured military personnel. Squads for each mission can be assembled from a total of twenty-one pilots, seven variants of mechanized battle armor (which can be armed with sixteen types of weaponry), four types of aircraft ranging from transport carriers to fighter-bombers and artillery units. Several different battle plans can be chosen for most of the missions. The differences between these may range anywhere from a slight change of the deployment time up to and including a complete change of mission strategy. Successfully completing a mission unlocks bonus piece of artwork depicting one of the women piloting the mechs ingame. There are nine of these graphics in total, one for each mission.

Screenshots:

There are a lot of Power Dolls games:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/games/franchis ... ower-dolls

Unfortunately the only one that is available in English, is the DOS version of the original Power Dolls (localized/published via Megatech in 1995).
The other Power Dolls games can be played via English walkthroughs though.

There's also a Power Dolls anime:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... php?id=714

It's a decently popular series in Japan. Shame more games haven't been translated into English.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

You know what are great picks? Games that work across multiple categories. Like Total Annihilation, which includes both a 90s RTS and mechs piloted either by downloaded brains or clones, depending on which army you pick. Play Total Annihilation today.

No, seriously, go play Total Annihilation.