2013 Together Retro Calendar - Looks Like We Made It

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Re: 2013 Together Retro Calendar - Looks Like We Made It

Post by Violent By Design »

Jan - RPG - Baldur's Gate - Definitely a noticeable game that I haven't played. I haven't dived into many Western RPGs, mainly because of how time consuming they can be. Hopefully I have time, but generally speaking seems like a good choice.

Feb - Other - Bubble Bobble - [b]I love arcade games, real excited to play Bubble Bobble. Haven't played it in ages. I'll probably emulate it, but I doubt I'll use save states. I think it defeats the purpose of most games.

Mar - Puzzle - Lemmings - Haven't played Lemmings, so I am looking forward to this.

Apr - FPS - Half-Life - When this game first came out, I used to play the multiplayer and a lot of its modifications. About a year ago I played the first player mode, but the file got deleted before I could finish it. Part of me wants to try something different, but another part wants to finish what I started. Will be interested to see what the console gamers think of it.

May - Platformer - Fantastic Dizzy -Never heard of it, which I suppose is a good thing. Seems like the Brits claim it is good/impactful so I suppose this will be a chance to expand. Seems like I'll emulate it.

Jun - Fighting - Fatal Fury Special - This is nice in terms of variety, Fatal Fury is pretty over looked despite it being a pretty big player back in the days. Would have preferred to play Garou: Mark of the Wolves. I've played Fatal Fury 2 and it was okay, but I didn't get to learn higher curved techniques of the game. If this is on the Fatal Fury collection for PS2, then I'll buy it.

Jul - Racing - Road Rash series - Coincidentally, I was thinking of this game a day or two ago before I discovered this thread. I was thinking on how great this game was, but a lot of the things that made the game good were mere novelties that did not exist back then. I feel like this game will not hold up, but this is a great chance to find out.

Aug - Beat-em-up - TMNT Turtles In Time - Kind of sad this beat Streets of Rage since it is better, but I suppose it is better that I expand my horizons. I think I've played this version, but I get all the TMNT games mixed up to be honest. I would have liked to have played a more obscure Beat Em Up, especially with the recent article released on Racketboy.

Sep - Text Adventure - Zork - I am anticipating this the most, not because I think it is the most fun, but because this is probably the most under looked game on the list. To the masses, text based adventures are generally forgotten and not given much credit. Zork is very popular, and I thought about playing it not too long ago, so I'm going to look forward to see if this text adventure holds up.

Oct - Horror Double Feature - Zombies Ate My Neighbors & Silent Hill 2 - Zombies Ate My Neighbor....boooo. Game I am looking least forward to playing. I've played this in recent years with friends a few times, and the game doesn't have enough flare to keep me interested for very long. Silent Hill 2 though...that's yummy. I beat it with friends, but I didn't get much play time. I'll likely purchase it, if the HD version is considered good then I'll get that.

Nov - Rhythm - Parappa The Rapper - Over Space Channel 5 2, really? I've played a decent bit of both at my friends house on multiple occasions, so I've really only gotten taste for them (not to mention I was terrible at those games at the time). Space Channel 5 seems like it would be more fun though, a lot more dynamic and spunky. Either way, Parappa is a cool choice and a big part of the Playstations history.

Dec - Sim - Wing Commander - Indifferent toward Wing Commander, def a game I wouldn't have tried out any time soon on my won. I'll likely get this for PC.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Violent By Design wrote:Jun - Fighting - Fatal Fury Special - This is nice in terms of variety, Fatal Fury is pretty over looked despite it being a pretty big player back in the days. Would have preferred to play Garou: Mark of the Wolves. I've played Fatal Fury 2 and it was okay, but I didn't get to learn higher curved techniques of the game. If this is on the Fatal Fury collection for PS2, then I'll buy it.

MOTW is amazing. But I'm kind of looking forward to going further back as FF Special is basically the first two games. It should be a very different experience than Garou. And yes, Special is on the first volume of the PS2 FF compilations.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

noiseredux wrote:
Violent By Design wrote:Jun - Fighting - Fatal Fury Special - This is nice in terms of variety, Fatal Fury is pretty over looked despite it being a pretty big player back in the days. Would have preferred to play Garou: Mark of the Wolves. I've played Fatal Fury 2 and it was okay, but I didn't get to learn higher curved techniques of the game. If this is on the Fatal Fury collection for PS2, then I'll buy it.

MOTW is amazing. But I'm kind of looking forward to going further back as FF Special is basically the first two games. It should be a very different experience than Garou. And yes, Special is on the first volume of the PS2 FF compilations.

Have you played the 1st FF?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I guess it might be too late to be posting this now, but Lemmings would be the perfect game for December next year, due to the availability of Christmas Lemmings alongside it.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

perhaps august could also be tmnt hyperstone since that and turtles in time are so similar, gotta show my genny some love. also that game is so underrated
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ninjainspandex wrote:perhaps august could also be tmnt hyperstone since that and turtles in time are so similar, gotta show my genny some love. also that game is so underrated

yeah we're considering Hyperstone a port of Turtles In Time.
bryan_65
Next-Gen

Post by bryan_65 »

I second adding TMNT Hyperstone Heist. My cart is dead and this will be a good reason to replace it. Yes I tried every way to get it to work and it (and only it) always freezes.

Other than that I am glad to see Zombies Ate My Neighbors as I have always been wanting to try that one. I also got FFS with my MVS when I bought it and still have not gave it much time. Now I have a lot free time in the summer so I will defiantly be diving more into this also.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

bryan_65 wrote:I second adding TMNT Hyperstone Heist.

noiseredux wrote:yeah we're considering Hyperstone a port of Turtles In Time.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

alienjesus wrote:I guess it might be too late to be posting this now, but Lemmings would be the perfect game for December next year, due to the availability of Christmas Lemmings alongside it.

Good point. I suggest a direct swap of Wing Commander to March, which may also be better to get people excited about the new Roberts game some months earlier.

Ivo.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ivo wrote:
alienjesus wrote:I guess it might be too late to be posting this now, but Lemmings would be the perfect game for December next year, due to the availability of Christmas Lemmings alongside it.

Good point. I suggest a direct swap of Wing Commander to March, which may also be better to get people excited about the new Roberts game some months earlier.

Ivo.

I'm pretty happy with this idea.