There are more 2D than 3D platformers these days...

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
AppleQueso

Re: There are more 2D than 3D platformers these days...

Post by AppleQueso »

DinnerX wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Is Mario Galaxy really a good example of collectathon/non-linear 3D platforming? Most of the game's missions are basically get to the end of the level, with the different world missions just simply shoving you along different paths.

I mean there's some exceptions to that in it, sure, but Mario Galaxy is pretty linear for a 3D platformer.
I didn't like the game as much as 64 or sunshine because of that. The 3D platformer mario games have gotten progressively linear.

It's exactly why I liked it MORE than 64 and Sunshine, actually.

But hey it's coo'.
WallCrusher
32-bit

Re: There are more 2D than 3D platformers these days...

Post by WallCrusher »

GameMasterGuy wrote:
WallCrusher wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Mario Galaxy?

Heck, even Mario Galaxy 2 started combining more 2D elements into the game. Sonic Colors did this as well.

And Generations.

Was gonna mention Generations, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

DinnerX wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Is Mario Galaxy really a good example of collectathon/non-linear 3D platforming? Most of the game's missions are basically get to the end of the level, with the different world missions just simply shoving you along different paths.

I mean there's some exceptions to that in it, sure, but Mario Galaxy is pretty linear for a 3D platformer.
I didn't like the game as much as 64 or sunshine because of that. The 3D platformer mario games have gotten progressively linear.

I think Galaxy had the right idea with going more linear with its levels. I felt of all the 3D Mario games, the level design was the strongest in those games, which for a platformer, is pretty crucial if you were to ask me.
WANNA GET YOUR WALLS CRUSHED?