The worst RPGs

Level up here
Ack

Re: The worst RPGs

Post by Ack »

dunpeal2064 wrote:At least thats how a feel, some people may actually consider Kingdom Hearts a poorly programed, unplayable mess.

Haha, I actually don't consider it unplayable, but it does have its problems. The game feels like a cheap marketing gimmick of both companies' characters, the gummi ship segments felt entirely unnecessary, most world-specific side characters provided were actually weaker than Goofy or Donald, and worlds felt inherently limited in scope. Also the plot was ridiculous and bizarre. I cannot see myself ever wanting to play further games in the series.

But I will give it for some entertaining boss fights, particularly the Night on Bald Mountain sequence. As far as the game is concerned, that was the highlight of the experience for me.

As for actual travesties, I'd say Secret of the Stars appears to have captured a heavy amount of our ire.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

AppleQueso wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote: It's really one of those things that should have just been a singular game - not a series. Too much of a good thing, you could say.

I felt this way about Disgaea. I put so much time into that game and was so absorbed into it, and yet I had no desire to pick up any of the sequels. Granted, I am sure there are people that are very happy to see this many Disgaea and Hyperdimension games.

From the little I played of the first Hyperdimension game, I really liked it. It would be one of the first games I bought if I ever purchased a ps3.

I don't know, Disgaea at least mixes things up by giving you a completely new cast in each game. I honestly find it more astounding that NIS manages to pump out Disgaea as often as they do, considering the sheer amount of content in each game.

Isn't most of the Disgaea content autogenerated, though? The thing that lets you crazy powerlevel is building up the items through the Item Worlds (and the Class Worlds starting with Disgaea 3). That stuff is all generated algorithmically.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

MrPopo wrote:Isn't most of the Disgaea content autogenerated, though? The thing that lets you crazy powerlevel is building up the items through the Item Worlds (and the Class Worlds starting with Disgaea 3). That stuff is all generated algorithmically.

I know the Item Worlds are autogenerated, not sure about other stuff. It's not like the main game stuff is short or anything either, though.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

AppleQueso wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Isn't most of the Disgaea content autogenerated, though? The thing that lets you crazy powerlevel is building up the items through the Item Worlds (and the Class Worlds starting with Disgaea 3). That stuff is all generated algorithmically.

I know the Item Worlds are autogenerated, not sure about other stuff. It's not like the main game stuff is short or anything either, though.

No, but it's not particularly long either. When I played through Disgaea 3 it felt of about average length.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ack wrote:
Haha, I actually don't consider it unplayable, but it does have its problems. The game feels like a cheap marketing gimmick of both companies' characters, the gummi ship segments felt entirely unnecessary, most world-specific side characters provided were actually weaker than Goofy or Donald, and worlds felt inherently limited in scope. Also the plot was ridiculous and bizarre. I cannot see myself ever wanting to play further games in the series.

Yeah, it was gimmicky, the gummi sections were completely unnecessary, and the side characters were just terrible. I guess those things just didn't bother me that much, as the combat system just felt great, and having grown up with disney and being pretty near FF-fanboy status when I first played the game, the gimmicky cheese was still enjoyable for me. I loved the NbC section, the Hercules tournaments, the Alice world, the Aladdin world. It was just such a trip to be walking through these worlds.

Granted, I grew up never experiencing the awesome disney platformers, so this was my first time seeing disney characters in a video game. So, while I was pretty aware of the flaws while playing the game, I still walked away very satisfied.

I completely agree that there was no desire to play al the crap that came after though. I don't like what it has become, but when there was only one KH, I thought it was a pretty interesting venture, flaws aside.

Has anyone here played Eternal Eyes? That one might qualify as a stinker, even though I still had my fill of fun with it
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

Kingdom Hearts bothers me too. I can ignore a bad story if the game is awesome, but I didn't like anything about it at all. The camera angles were incredibly frustrating and, in the sequel, you could win almost every battle without looking at the screen.

I guess the appeal of those games, besides the fan-service, would be traveling between the different worlds. It's a decent concept, but I couldn't stand any of the worlds (I did play the ones my sister couldn't figure out).
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
disorderlyvision
128-bit

Post by disorderlyvision »

Retronomy wrote:Guardian's Crusade.

It was great by any means, but I had a bit of fun playing it.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

I totally forgot about Time Stalkers! I had picked it up from EB games back when you could get dreamcast games for just a few dollars, and man what a waste of a few dollars! I remember doing the dungeon, getting out and seeing that all my XP was gone, and thought I did something wrong.
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
SirPsycho
24-bit

Post by SirPsycho »

jay_red wrote:I totally forgot about Time Stalkers! I had picked it up from EB games back when you could get dreamcast games for just a few dollars, and man what a waste of a few dollars! I remember doing the dungeon, getting out and seeing that all my XP was gone, and thought I did something wrong.

Azure Dreams does the XP loss when you leave the dungeon, but that's a wonderful game for many other reasons. TimeStalkers is mindnumbingly easy whereas Azure Dreams take some thought and planning. TimeStalkers has terribad writing, like atrocious, straight up throwing foreshadowing in your face and then having the main character ask for elaboration only for the conversation to end.

Two similar games, one sucks, one is awesome.
saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

I own a lot of RPGs, some that I haven’t played enough to properly judge, even though it’s not likely I’ll return to them.

But for an RPG I spent a significant amount of time playing, I absolutely hate Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on the GBA, even though I don’t feel it was technically a bad game if you like strategy RPGs. I had two major issues though.

The first was the story. Usually a bad story doesn’t bother me if the game play is good, or if the characters are interesting and entertaining. But FFTA’s story is so sophomoric and annoying and I couldn’t handle it. Everything about it I found uninspiring or just juvenile. The characters, the setting, the premise, the dialogue, everything.

Second was the card system and the restriction laws. While an interesting concept, it was more of an annoyance than anything else. You can circumvent the restrictions by scrolling back and forth through the missions until you get a set of restrictions that won’t hinder your party. As the game progresses, more restrictions are added to the missions, but you can still avoid key restrictions by scrolling back and forth. This just adds a level of annoyance, rather than being a true game mechanic.