The packaging to original XBOX games looks tacky to me

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: The packaging to original XBOX games looks tacky to me

Post by flojocabron »

TSTR wrote:Side note, does anyone notice that some PS2 cases have a bluish hue to them? Not the PAL cases—those are like straight blue—but I'm talking NA joints.

I've noticed that. Its how I spot ps2 games in plastic tubs at the fleamarket.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

It's weird too, because it's not all of them. I guess they switched from blue to black (or vice versa) at some point?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

TSTR wrote:It's weird too, because it's not all of them. I guess they switched from blue to black (or vice versa) at some point?

The Memory Card holder PS2 cases and newer cases without the holder are dark blue. I think the very last generation of PS2 cases (again no holder) are solid black.

The Xbox Green just fine to me, a quick identify with the original Xbox adopted color in the desktop.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

TSTR wrote:It's weird too, because it's not all of them. I guess they switched from blue to black (or vice versa) at some point?

I haven't seen a black PS2 case. Not saying I'd 100% rule it out - maybe some budget or reprint titles? But it's also possible that some have replacement cases, or that the more obvious ones are the oddballs. The typical look for them is pretty close to black, but put them side by side with actual black cases and there's a difference:

Quick checking in my collection, I don't see any cases that aren't that dark blue color. Do you recall any titles you've seen that aren't, in case I (or others) have 'em on our shelves too?

Personally, I like the clear cases that the PS3 used, since they worked nicely for double-sided inserts and are a lot more neutral. Not a huge fan of any of the brightly colored cases, though I think they can still be fine if the rest of the branding is subtle. Even some X-Box games are good. I think it's the X-Box Live logos, Only On X-Box, and so on that make it too much.

Actually something that the Switch boxes seem to be really good about. Very minimal branding.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

I got all my PS2 shit stacked up in the other room, lemme check.

EDIT: Huh, yeah all the black-black ones are either Amarays or generic cases. Anything with the PS logo on it, card holder or not, has that tint. My sample size is like 20 though, so take that into account.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I think the PS logo ones have Amaray logos too. At least, I noticed it on most of them.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

May be. The blacker than black ones I mentioned had no PS logo, so I reckon they're replacements.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

I really like Xbox cases honestly not the hugest fan of the silver platinum hits cases but the green/black color scheme looks pretty good on a shelf. The cases are some of the heaviest/sturdiest dvd cases to so they hold up pretty well.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I'm a fan of the silver cases actually. If I remember correctly, the silver cases are not see through which I have a preference for over the green cases which are somewhat transparent.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Some like the original cases on each system for the color uniformity on the shelf. For me not a big deal, the Platinum Xbox or Red PS2 or Blue PAL an instant way to spot the difference over the original release. I search out the Greatest Hits versions which at times have extra levels and features. The concept that the original release rarity does not ring when the Greatest Hits is usually put out after a ton of sales of the original. As most collectors, I do prefer original cases even when dinged up over a shiny new replacement DVD case.

My OCD original case search got so bad at Gamestop asking to swap out Wii game white cases to white cases that have a Wii logo. Turned out many 3rd party original cases do not have the logo! :oops:
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425