ElkinFencer10's Big Boy Gaming Set-up

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: ElkinFencer10's Big Boy Gaming Set-up

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

samsonlonghair wrote:What are your thoughts regarding bronies and the autism spectrum?

It's completely coincidental. The brony fandom is overwhelmingly kind and accepting, so it's natural that people with autism - people who, for the most part, have a much harder time fitting in and being accepted in society - would gravitate towards that. It's a similar reason that a lot of my students want to attend a HBCU; more than anything, it's where they'd feel the most welcome and accepted.

The intended tone was a little bit unclear given the nature of a text-based medium, so I'm going to assume that you didn't intend any negative connotation, but I don't think that there's anything wrong being on the autism spectrum, so in my mind, the question is a lot like "What are your thoughts regarding black people and basketball?" It's coincidental and irrelevant, but a negative meaning will often get inferred from the question. As someone who's been in the fandom for several years, "They're all autistic" is the second most common pointless attack we get (right after "They're all pedophiles," something particularly insulting to me given that I'm a teacher).

Just to be clear, I at no time thought you had intended that to sound insulting at all. I'm just pointing that out for future reference since I know the fandom is a pretty foreign thing to most people.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I rode the the brony train right up to the end of Season 3 where I thought things got kind of bad. Also time and place and all that - I was going through a similar set of emotions when I picked up on it.

I'm envious of your plushy Yoshi. Where'd you get it?

And every time I see a nice set of Atari stuff I always think to myself "man RJ, don't you just want to get back into collecting?". No. NO!

And I've got to ask. How often do you find yourself using your PC as your gaming device on the TV considering the fact you've got a PS4 and WiiU sitting there? I like playing games on the computer but I can't ever see myself being one to hook one up to the TV and actually use it.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Season 3 was super okay until the finale; that got SUPER good, and Seasons 4 and 5 were great.

That's not just a plush; it's the Mega Yarn Yoshi amiibo. It was a Toys-R-Us exclusive and is REALLY hard to find. I got lucky.

I don't use my PC as much as I'd like to, but I've got a good third party wired Xbox One controller that I use sometimes, and I have a Couchmaster that should be shipping next week that will facilitate a lot more PC gaming (I have a GTX 980 in there; it's a shame not to use it much.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Damn bro deep story thanks for sharing, sorry to hear all that. As they say everything happens for a reason, even if it means collecting My Little Ponies. Lol

I've been digging Glitter Force on Netflix and wish they would do a ARPG such as Magic Knight Rayearth the art style reminded me of this that's why I kinda like it.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Nice stuff. We almost literally have the same consoles, except I eschew the more modern stuff.

Those Neo Geo games are MVS titles in fancy cases, yes? What are you playing your MVS games on?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Except for Nam-1975; that's an AES cartridge. Right now I'm using an MVS-to-AES converter, but I'm gonna start saving for a CMVS. I'd get an actual MVS and would MUCH rather have one, but even if I found one for sale, I'd have no way to pick it up, and I doubt I could afford freight shipping. :-(
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Gotcha. I use a converter myself, though all of my MVS carts are naked.

I dig all those aftermarket cases you have. I've toyed with the idea of doing such a thing myself, but it would greatly eat into the meager budget I have allotted to buy the games themselves.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Gotcha. I use a converter myself, though all of my MVS carts are naked.

I dig all those aftermarket cases you have. I've toyed with the idea of doing such a thing myself, but it would greatly eat into the meager budget I have allotted to buy the games themselves.

It cost me about $600 between buying all the cases and getting the covers printed, so I definitely feel you on that point, but I think they look fantastic, and it will help me keep the games cleaner as well as making moving easier and safer for them (because Henderson is one step up from Detroit; I'm not staying here forever).
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Sano wrote:Great collection man. Mind if I ask how much you have spent so far?

I have no idea. I've been building the collection on and off for about ten years (since I was in the 8th grade), so I have no idea about exact numbers, but if you include the furniture for it and other accessories, it's probably around $10,000. That's a complete guess, though, since I don't know the value of everything right now, let alone when I bought it.

Nice! Which piece(s) of your collection are your favorite?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Sano wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Sano wrote:Great collection man. Mind if I ask how much you have spent so far?

I have no idea. I've been building the collection on and off for about ten years (since I was in the 8th grade), so I have no idea about exact numbers, but if you include the furniture for it and other accessories, it's probably around $10,000. That's a complete guess, though, since I don't know the value of everything right now, let alone when I bought it.

Nice! Which piece(s) of your collection are your favorite?

My near-mint condition copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga is definitely the crown jewel of my collection, but my personal favorite is probably Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. It's the only game (aside from some really short retro games) that I've beaten 5 times. Sentimental value, though, would be my NES; it's the same console that my mom won on Jeopardy! when I was three months old (though it, admittedly, has had a Blinking Light Win replace the stock 72-pin).