Deadpool

Brawlers and Beatemups
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Re: Deadpool

Post by Metal Jesus »

I just started reading the Dead Pool comics a few weeks ago... and man, it's laugh out loud funny! I know I'm late to the party with this...but I don't think there is another comic like it.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

TheRev wrote:Why is this under fighters? It's not a fighter

It's not really something I personally support, but we've always lumped beat 'em ups under the Fighter forum
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
indecks
Next-Gen

Post by indecks »

Gamerforlife wrote:
TheRev wrote:Why is this under fighters? It's not a fighter

It's not really something I personally support, but we've always lumped beat 'em ups under the Fighter forum

I dunno if I'd consider the Deadpool game a beat-em-up. It's more of a platformer if you think about it.

Eh, maybe not.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Metal Jesus wrote:I just started reading the Dead Pool comics a few weeks ago... and man, it's laugh out loud funny! I know I'm late to the party with this...but I don't think there is another comic like it.

Why I love Deadpool:

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

So did this game flop? Not a lot of chatter about it.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Luke wrote:So did this game flop? Not a lot of chatter about it.

Critically it did, I don't know about sales figures. From actually reading the reviews though rather than just going by scores(and seeing some youtube vids), I think it might be a fun game so I'm giving it a shot this weekend.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
oxymoron
Next-Gen

Post by oxymoron »

I think it's a cult game. You either love it or hate it.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I started playing it. I think I'm maybe three chapters in. I like it, but it has some irritating flaws. I can see why it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

On the positive side of things, the writing is excellent. The game is hilarious. Most of the jokes hit the mark. The game completely pokes fun at every video game trope and convention you can think of and does it blatantly. Also, the fourth wall is completely non existent. Deadpool will frequently talk about you (the player) or just talk to you. It actually makes the game feel like a real interactive experience as he'll actually ask you to do things at times or get mad at you for not doing something. The only time Deadpool isn't interacting with the player in some way is when he's talking to the voices in his head, who also acknowledge the presence of the player in many of their comments. It makes the whole game very surreal. Pool knows he's in a game, and he knows you're in front of the TV screen controlling him and he's not about to keep his mouth shut when he has something to say about what you are (or aren't) doing.

Like a good Suda 51 game, there are little unexpected surprises as you play through the game. It may not be intentional, but as someone else said about this game in the Games Beaten thread, there are a lot of very Suda-ish elements in the game. I guess Deadpool is just a character that fits that Suda mold. Also, if you're an X-Men fan, there are some great moments in this game where they interact with Deadpool, including a scene involving Wolverine that is just plain classic and memorable. It's great to see the usually serious X-Men filtered through Deadpool's crazy and funny world

The melee combat follows the same model as games like Sleeping Dogs and Batman, which means it's good. It's a little less polished than those games though. The camera can be an issue at times too. What I really like is that one of the game's upgrades allows you to incorporate Deadpool's guns into the melee combat, which is very, very cool. Now instead of doing a melee combo on a dude, you can slash him with a sword, then riddle him full of bullets. Instead of countering someone's attack with a melee attack, Deadpool will just pop him in the head with his pistol. He even can finish off a grounded opponent with gunfire. It's fun, and the stuff Deadpool does with his guns in melee combat are several levels above DMC's Dante in coolness.

On the negative side of things, the shooty, shooty parts of the game are less interesting though. I'm not a fan of shooters to begin with, but this game's third person shooter segments are far below industry standards. It's not necessarily bad, just bland. I find myself yawning every time I enter a shooting gallery scenario and wish I could just get back to the melee, or maybe even another stealth section (which the game does fairly well from what I've seen so far). Deadpool has some very funny stealth kills.

I also take issue with some of the design choices in this game. One really bizarre aspect of the game is that you will come across many items and weapons in the game that you can't use, because you can't use any of the various weapons and items in the game until you purchase the ability to do so, which is really lame. Imagine you're playing a Halo game. You come across a rocket launcher, and the game says to you, "You have not purchased this item for use." That would be called the worst Halo game ever made.

Also, the game's difficulty sometimes spikes up due to the game throwing everything but the kitchen sink at you, without any care for whether or not you have what you need to handle it. I reached certain areas where it seemed I was supposed to have certain items and upgrades. Not having them meant me retrying these sections many times, hoping to get lucky on one of my attempts. Some areas are skimpy on resources too. You'll run around an area desparately trying to find ammo, all the while coming across various weapons and items and being told, "you have not purchased this item for use." :roll:

What also makes some areas hard is that Deadpool is very underpowered while certain enemies are very overpowered. Deadpool doesn't quite feel like the super hero he should be. Meanwhile, one enemy type in the game is a large opponent. Predictably, his attacks do a lot of damage, but the designers decided to also make him fast and give him a long range attack. So essentially he has no weakness for players to exploit and you better hope you have some grenades or other items in your inventory to kill him with, because you're not going to outfight him. Fortunately, the game has tons of upgrades. So I imagine Deadpool will eventually become a real badass when I have all his upgrades and have purchased the use of all weapons and items for the subsequent hard mode playthrough, but until then I feel like he's a bit too weak for my liking.

Overall though, the game is enjoyable for me so far, largely because of its humor and personality and the strength of its melee combat. No matter how frustrated I may get with this game, I can't help but want to see what happens next. If Deadpool can keep making me laugh my ass off and keep surprising me, I think I can forgive its flaws. It's not the next Suda 51 game, but it may be the next best thing.
Last edited by Gamerforlife on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

This game has horrible checkpoints. What do you do before a stealth section? Have a checkpoint right? Not in this game. They put the checkpoint before the long cut scene that precedes the stealth section

Morons

Oh well
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Some Suda influence huh, Ill have to keep an eye out for the $20 mark. Any advantages between systems?
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.