Sadistic and realistic gore/violence in contemporary games

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
GodofHardcore
8-bit

Re: Realistic gore/violence in contemporary games

Post by GodofHardcore »

Luke wrote:
GodofHardcore wrote:
Luke wrote:godofhardcore may have to change his handle if video game sprites being burned alive makes him go numb.

but we're not talking about cartoony 2d video game sprites. we're talking about 3d models intended to look realistic.

and being burned alive is low on the sadistic gore meter. there are much worse fates in store: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijh4fcapGY4

Everything about those fatalities are silly and cartoony. There is nothing realistic about them at all.

but do you agree they're sadistic?
GodofHardcore
8-bit

Post by GodofHardcore »

AppleQueso wrote:There really isn't anything in that video that's particularly disturbing (or even at all that realistic).

get sliced in half from the crotch to the tip of the head isn't disturbing?

getting all of your skin ripped off leaving only glistening flesh isn't disturbing?

if those aren't disturbing, what is?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

GodofHardcore wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:There really isn't anything in that video that's particularly disturbing (or even at all that realistic).

get sliced in half from the crotch to the tip of the head isn't disturbing?

getting all of your skin ripped off leaving only glistening flesh isn't disturbing?

if those aren't disturbing, what is?

All about context, dude.

I can't stomach Hostel, but I get a lot of kicks from Evil Dead 2. Mortal Kombat's violence is silly.

I think you're taking the game a little too seriously.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

GodofHardcore wrote:
but do you agree they're sadistic?

Nope. Violent, yes, but sadistic, no.

Sadistic is sleeping with a hooker and then killing her, and then sleeping with your girlfriend as you can in San Andreas. Mortal Kombat is silly fun that should make you laugh more than cringe.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

AppleQueso wrote:All about context, dude.

I can't stomach Hostel, but I get a lot of kicks from Evil Dead 2. Mortal Kombat's violence is silly.

I agree with you with regard to context. However, I think actually find Fatalities to be fairly offensive as a concept. Basically because in order to even do them, your opponent is helpless. Taking a beaten opponent and proceeding to creatively destroy their body, even just as a concept, isn't so much silly as it is psychotic.

It might be taking it too seriously, but to a point, I think that's why some of us just don't enjoy the concept of those games much anymore.

The same kind of violence being shown, but in a different context, might be fine. Kind of like I don't care much about seeing realistic headshots in an FPS...but if said FPS was simulating a school shooting, I'd probably take offense.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

isiolia wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:All about context, dude.

I agree with you with regard to context. However, I think actually find Fatalities to be fairly offensive as a concept. Basically because in order to even do them, your opponent is helpless. Taking a beaten opponent and proceeding to creatively destroy their body, even just as a concept, isn't so much silly as it is psychotic.

It might be taking it too seriously, but to a point, I think that's why some of us just don't enjoy the concept of those games much anymore.

The same kind of violence being shown, but in a different context, might be fine. Kind of like I don't care much about seeing realistic headshots in an FPS...but if said FPS was simulating a school shooting, I'd probably take offense.

Context again. We're talking about a game with gods, undead ghost ninjas, martial artists who turn into dragons, monsters from other dimensions, etc. All it really is is just the idea of humiliating your defeated opponent at the end of a match and applying it to the game's overall theme. Ever notice how Mortal Kombat as a franchise doesn't have the elaborate win poses or post-fight quotes that games like Street Fighter have? That's because the finishers take the place of that.
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

Luke wrote:godofhardcore may have to change his handle if video game sprites being burned alive makes him go numb.

This
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

AppleQueso wrote:Context again. We're talking about a game with gods, undead ghost ninjas, martial artists who turn into dragons, monsters from other dimensions, etc. All it really is is just the idea of humiliating your defeated opponent at the end of a match and applying it to the game's overall theme. Ever notice how Mortal Kombat as a franchise doesn't have the elaborate win poses or post-fight quotes that games like Street Fighter have? That's because the finishers take the place of that.

Even so, the vast majority of good/heroic characters in stories will tend towards merciful or cooperative solutions. Fatalities are not that. Fighters tend to have a huge suspension of disbelief in the first place, given how many special moves would horribly kill someone on their own. But, to have characters universally happy to viciously murder fellow combatants they've already rendered helpless just doesn't jive. Villains? Sure. But everyone? Kind of sociopathic.
AppleQueso

Re: Sadistic and realistic gore/violence in contemporary gam

Post by AppleQueso »

The games pretty clearly separate the gameplay finishers from the actual storyline.

You know, the points you've been bringing up are pretty much exactly why they added Friendships in MK2. The violence in MK isn't meant to be taken seriously, never has.
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: Sadistic and realistic gore/violence in contemporary gam

Post by Luke »

This thread should be retitled: "The But Mom, it's just a silly video game" Thread.