PlayStation RGB - sync on green?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: PlayStation RGB - sync on green?

Post by Hobie-wan »

Hmm ok, apparently it does output RGB. But that is not the same as component, which is why that isn't working when using a PS2/PS3 component cable. So to revise my answer, S-video is the best without custom cables and modding.

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/psxav.htm
arnold_the_bartender
64-bit

Post by arnold_the_bartender »

Component cables are useless on the PS1. The PS1 outputs RGB out of the box. It isn't optimized for component out like the PS2 and PS3 are. Best options are S-Video or component through an RGB to component transcoder like I have. It looks great.
What a maneuver!

My j00tube channel: http://www.youtube.com/arnoldthebartender
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

Ugh. Well, in conclusion...

PS1 doesn't support Component. The PS2/3 component cables do work with RGB - I know at least the pins are correct because I got color, and the PS2 and PS3 use the same cable for Component and RGB. However, my TV needs a refresh rate twice as high as the PS1's 15 kHz. And S-Video is my best option because the RGB isn't working.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else have a PS1 and RGBHV connection to play with?
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Have you confirmed whether your TV supports 240p over RGB or component? It's an essential check. Many TVs, usually HD LCDs in particular, do not.

Some such sets may be flat out incapable of receiving 240p from a component source (a "no signal" error is often telling). Even if they experience no problems with low res through composite/svideo/RF/etc.
Lum fan.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

Yes, the symptoms of non-240p support will appear as only seeing half of the display, or the display flickering, or the display squished to only half of the screen.

You are correct that the PS1 will output video using the component cable, however it is not a Y/Pb/Pr signal. You will get an image, but the colours will be incorrect. I wasn't sure if it was RGB.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

Looks like I've got that non-240p screen. Pretty odd for such an old TV. Oh well. Case closed!
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Yeah it's easy to test. 95% of PS2 games will work, while 95% of PS1 games will not.

That's right. It makes little sense what game devs had in mind. A few PS2 original games used PS1 mode (Disgaea), while PS1 assets ported to PS2 sometimes were upconverted to 480i (parts of Mega Man Anniversary Collection).
Lum fan.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

It should go without saying that almost no displays in the US support a 15khz RGB signal, aside from the ones at your local arcade. TV wise we got screwed in the "SD" era, and very very few computer monitors are still floating around that don't need the 31khz signal.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

That's true too. And without a 15khz RGB physical connector standardized here, even those TVs may vary on HOW to get the video inside.
Lum fan.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

theclaw wrote:That's right. It makes little sense what game devs had in mind. A few PS2 original games used PS1 mode (Disgaea), while PS1 assets ported to PS2 sometimes were upconverted to 480i (parts of Mega Man Anniversary Collection).

Ico is another game that runs at 240p despite being a PS2 game.

Tekken 3 runs at 480i despite being a PS1 game.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay