Driver San Francisco

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
BRIK
Next-Gen

Re: Driver San Francisco

Post by BRIK »

I loved Driver one and two when I was younger. Might give this a chance. Do you play as Tanner?
Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I just picked up this game. It was on my Amazon wish list before it was released. When I had to order something cheap off Amazon, I noticed it was only $20, so I decided to pick it up so I could get free super saver shipping.

I really don't know how I feel about it. It's really not a bad game, but comparing it to previous Drivers, it just doesn't feel right. I don't know why they had to change the formula so much from previous Driver games.

The shift thing that they got going on, it's not bad at all. It makes for very interesting gameplay. But it really breaks up the game in my opinion. It's not really returning to the roots of Driver (1) where you couldn't get out of your car, because you still can kinda. And it makes the entire game feel like multiple mini games, even when you stick to the "story mode" it still feels like you're just playing a lot of mini games.

It's definitely not a bad game at all. But comparing it to other Drivers, it's really not what I was expecting. If this game was called "Driving in San Francisco" I would just think it's a pretty fun game. But calling it Driver, it's kind of a let down. I'll still play it, and I'll still have fun, but it's just not what I was expecting. And I don't like it as much as previous Driver games (I had a lot of fun with Driv3r and Parallel Lines).

And I'm not really sure what this uPlay DRM nonsense is, but I'm pretty sure I don't like it. As far as I can tell, it's Ubisoft's way to play their games online. But it comes with a key code that you have to enter. That kinda shit upsets me. I get bugged with the uPlay prompt every time I turn the game on, and I just choose skip each time. I don't plan on playing online, but apparently you need to register with uPlay to unlock the film director. What a bunch of BS. So what if the servers go down, temporarily or permanently, does that mean I can't use the film director? Or if I have to replace my PS3 system, will I not be able to unlock it again? Is this game unplayable if my internet connection is down? Or just the portions that have to be unlocked with the uPlay code?

And where's the felon/wanted mode? Or whatever it was called.

I did find a DeLorean though, and when I shifted into it and got up to 88mph it unlocked "Blast from the past" which was funny.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ziggy587 wrote:I just picked up this game. It was on my Amazon wish list before it was released. When I had to order something cheap off Amazon, I noticed it was only $20, so I decided to pick it up so I could get free super saver shipping.

I really don't know how I feel about it. It's really not a bad game, but comparing it to previous Drivers, it just doesn't feel right. I don't know why they had to change the formula so much from previous Driver games.

The shift thing that they got going on, it's not bad at all. It makes for very interesting gameplay. But it really breaks up the game in my opinion. It's not really returning to the roots of Driver (1) where you couldn't get out of your car, because you still can kinda. And it makes the entire game feel like multiple mini games, even when you stick to the "story mode" it still feels like you're just playing a lot of mini games.

It's definitely not a bad game at all. But comparing it to other Drivers, it's really not what I was expecting. If this game was called "Driving in San Francisco" I would just think it's a pretty fun game. But calling it Driver, it's kind of a let down. I'll still play it, and I'll still have fun, but it's just not what I was expecting. And I don't like it as much as previous Driver games (I had a lot of fun with Driv3r and Parallel Lines).

And I'm not really sure what this uPlay DRM nonsense is, but I'm pretty sure I don't like it. As far as I can tell, it's Ubisoft's way to play their games online. But it comes with a key code that you have to enter. That kinda shit upsets me. I get bugged with the uPlay prompt every time I turn the game on, and I just choose skip each time. I don't plan on playing online, but apparently you need to register with uPlay to unlock the film director. What a bunch of BS. So what if the servers go down, temporarily or permanently, does that mean I can't use the film director? Or if I have to replace my PS3 system, will I not be able to unlock it again? Is this game unplayable if my internet connection is down? Or just the portions that have to be unlocked with the uPlay code?

And where's the felon/wanted mode? Or whatever it was called.

I did find a DeLorean though, and when I shifted into it and got up to 88mph it unlocked "Blast from the past" which was funny.

I don't have a lot of experience with previous Driver games, but having just finished Driver SF I can say I absolutely loved it and hope that there's a direct sequel.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, like I said, it's really not a bad game on its own. But it just doesn't feel like a Driver game to me. I've played all of the main console entries to the series I think (Driver 1 and 2 on PS1, Driv3r and Parallel Lines on PS2). This just feels different. As I've said, I think it's because of the shifting. It just feels like I'm playing "Take a Ride" mode with a bunch of mini games that I can choose to play or not.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Ziggy587 wrote:Yeah, like I said, it's really not a bad game on its own. But it just doesn't feel like a Driver game to me. I've played all of the main console entries to the series I think (Driver 1 and 2 on PS1, Driv3r and Parallel Lines on PS2). This just feels different. As I've said, I think it's because of the shifting. It just feels like I'm playing "Take a Ride" mode with a bunch of mini games that I can choose to play or not.

I completely agree, but I still enjoyed the game. Adequate support for my Logitech wheel did improve the experience considerably for me, but it did prove cumbersome to switch to keyboard to shift into other cars; the single axis of the wheel really couldn't pull off the trick.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I saw under challenges there was "Survivor" which can be unlocked, so I watched a video of it on YouTube. What a disappointment. Apparently you just drive on the infinite Golden Gate while cars are periodically launched at you. What happened to the Survivor mode where many cops relentlessly chase you? That was a staple of the series, in my own opinion.

edit: OK, I found out there's a Survivor mode in multiplayer where cops are chasing you. It's kinda lame that it's only in multiplayer. And even then, it's nothing like Survivor in Driver 1 or 2.

I played split screen multiplayer today for the first time. I was a little disappointed. The screen is split vertically, which I really hate, and I didn't see an option any where to switch it to being horizontally split. Most of the game modes for multiplayer weren't particularly fun either.

I'm still having fun playing the single player story mode, but my complaints remain. I like this game, but I hate it has a game in the Driver series.