You gotta try this new game. It's called Minecraft.

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
neilencio
64-bit

Re: You gotta try this new game. It's called Minecraft.

Post by neilencio »

I'll wait for the HD remake.
Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
MrHealthy
Next-Gen

Post by MrHealthy »

Zing wrote:The thing that bothered me about Minecraft is that you literally needed to use a FAQ/walkthrough to do even the most basic of tasks.

No you don't. Part of the fun playing it for the first time is literally not knowing anything and figuring things out on your own. Finding out that creepers blow up in your face, figuring out that crafting recipes often resemble the final product and not knowing what kind of block type everything was right of the bat was super rewarding when I figured it all out. Playing your first world without any help is definately how I'd recommend it, at least for a few hours, then start using the wiki if you like.
neilencio
64-bit

Post by neilencio »

MrHealthy wrote:
Zing wrote:The thing that bothered me about Minecraft is that you literally needed to use a FAQ/walkthrough to do even the most basic of tasks.

No you don't. Part of the fun playing it for the first time is literally not knowing anything and figuring things out on your own. Finding out that creepers blow up in your face, figuring out that crafting recipes often resemble the final product and not knowing what kind of block type everything was right of the bat was super rewarding when I figured it all out. Playing your first world without any help is definately how I'd recommend it, at least for a few hours, then start using the wiki if you like.

You need at least a few hours just to learn how to play?

not being snarky, mind you. just legitimately curious. I haven't tried it out yet because I was under that impression.
Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Jesus. I decided to try the new version out after not playing for a long time. It just sucked 6 hours of my time... I decided to create a new world and I've just spend a long time making a large two story house. I've barely done anything but that. Now it's 7:43am...
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Flodder450
24-bit

Post by Flodder450 »

one of the biggest projects i undertook in Minecraft Beta, after i completed the World Trade Center in Classic 0.30

i also built a monastery on an old server, but it got lost, currently building an even bigger one on a server of a forum i often post
MrHealthy
Next-Gen

Post by MrHealthy »

neilencio wrote:You need at least a few hours just to learn how to play?

not being snarky, mind you. just legitimately curious. I haven't tried it out yet because I was under that impression.

The basic mechanics can be figured out through just messing around in about 10 - 20 minutes. The kind of things that you will end up using every time you play. And for some, thats enough to get enjoyment out of it. But the game has tons of content, so its only natural that some of it would take a few hours to understand at the least. Unless ou cheat and use the wiki of course.

So the first time you play you should play without looking stuff up. Figure out the basics on your own, and then use them for a few hours. Get a feel for them. If it feels rewarding you can then jump into the deep end in the wiki or just keep doing what your doing. If not, its not the game for you.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

bumping a pretty old thread, but... talk to me about Minecraft?

It's actually kind of amazing to me how "old" this game is already. It's a huge cultural phenomenon - and has been for a long time. And really, I don't know anything about it. I played it once before on 360 maybe three years ago for an hour. That was it. I think that my understanding is that there's two modes: one is a survival mode and one is just a big standbox build-stuff mode. But I really don't know how to even go about getting started with the game in any serious fashion.

Anyway, it's the next game on PC Gamer's Top 100 list that I'll be checking out. Last night I actually fired it up on my Rift and was quite impressed with just wandering around the blocky environment in VR. But again, I really wasn't doing anything.

Do people still play this? I feel like it's mostly played by kids.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

noiseredux wrote:bumping a pretty old thread, but... talk to me about Minecraft?

It's actually kind of amazing to me how "old" this game is already. It's a huge cultural phenomenon - and has been for a long time. And really, I don't know anything about it. I played it once before on 360 maybe three years ago for an hour. That was it. I think that my understanding is that there's two modes: one is a survival mode and one is just a big standbox build-stuff mode. But I really don't know how to even go about getting started with the game in any serious fashion.

Anyway, it's the next game on PC Gamer's Top 100 list that I'll be checking out. Last night I actually fired it up on my Rift and was quite impressed with just wandering around the blocky environment in VR. But again, I really wasn't doing anything.

Do people still play this? I feel like it's mostly played by kids.

I still play it, both on console and pc. There is a way to beat the game so keep that in mind. The game is genuinely fun in both perspectives of just building things and in trying to reach the end game. Gain8ng experience, using said experience to enchant gear, making potions and exploring are huge components of the fun. It is though a game where the fun is what you make of it so keep that in mind.

If you are playing on PC we could set up a server and do some Racketboy Co-op.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Minecraft is a staple game nowadays, I actually own it across 3 platforms without realizing it. My kids play it mostly but I know I prefer Gunscape because it's like Minecraft with block building but steps up the action with better FPS options and better textures resembling more of the PS2 era graphics. So making levels such as old Doom, Quake, Unreal, Goldeneye, Timesplitters can be done in a snap as well as making RPG, Puzzle, Plaform etc games can be achieved.

There are some small gripes atm with Gunscape the community is not dead but in limbo needs more players and exposure. Thankfully it's cross play (PC/PS4/XB1) now I believe and the game is not fully finished but provides enough for now to have bunch of fun. It's up to 8 players local split screen so I have no trouble making a battle arena for quick matches with the family.

To wrap it up Minecraft probably has been dethroned by now, with games like these everywhere my new recommendations going towards Gunscape and DQ Builders if asked today.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I don't feel that minecraft has been overtaken by newer titles like gunscape or Dragon Quest Builders. Those are apples and potatoes comparisons as the genres are very different for all of them.

I am not saying one is better or worse than another but they are very different games to begin with.

Noise, when you do start the game and have questions don't hesitate to ask. My recommendation is this. If you don't want to spend hours in experimenting on recipes, check out an faq ahead of time and see what stuff you can make and how it would apply.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.