Defining survival horror games honorable mentions

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
benderx
Next-Gen

Re: Defining survival horror games honorable mentions

Post by benderx »

@dsheinem

alright
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

How about Echo Night: Beyond? It's not technically a survival horror game, but it is a slow paced adventure game with strong horror overtones.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I consider the Echo Night series survival horror. There's no way to kill your enemies, every encounter can be fatal, and there are times where they can become incredibly disturbing and depressing games. But I consider the series to be a hidden gem of the genre. They're not as obscure as some titles, but there definitely not something most folks have heard about.
Gooseberrysoda
128-bit

Post by Gooseberrysoda »

Well, the Timesplitters series has always had some excellent, if simple, survival horror extra levels ("Behead The Undead"). My favorite is "Boxing Clever", where you're in a round room with zombies coming in waves, and all you have are boxes to fight them off :P
Sega Genesis (Model 2), Sega CD, Sega 32X, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Game Boy Family, Phillips CD-i Model 910, NES, Atari 5200, Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar, Playstations 3-4
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Post by SwooshBear »

"You were almost a jill sandwich!" lol.

Anyway, the ravenholm level of half life 2 is survival horror i guess, and epicness XD
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

How about Overblood for PS1? I remember my cousin rented it way back, and I thought it was a pretty cool survival horror game at the time. It's an obscure game from what I know, but may be worth looking into.
Ack

Post by Ack »

brunoafh wrote:How about Overblood for PS1? I remember my cousin rented it way back, and I thought it was a pretty cool survival horror game at the time. It's an obscure game from what I know, but may be worth looking into.

If I remember correctly I included Overblood, as it was the first RE-style survival horror game in full 3D. I haven't gotten a chance to play it or its sequel though. There's a handful of PS1 SH titles I need to get my hands on.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

Parasite Eve 1 and 2 is a survival horror role-playing game
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

I was thinking maybe the From Software RPG franchise (King's Field, Shadow Tower, Demon's Souls) might deserve at least an honorable mention. I know they aren't really survival horror games, but they do have aspects of them. The King's Field games were damn eerie. The music was really trippy and the whole game seemed like some nightmare. The survival aspect is there alright, trying to manage money and items to ensure survival was the name of the game. I remember not wanting to proceed just because I had accomplished so much and didn't want to die around the next corner from some crazy strong enemies. Shadow Tower is the same way, only it mostly takes place in doors, as it's more dungeon crawler like (it's more like Demon's Souls). It had some pretty bizzare looking enemies, and the lack of music made things pretty creepy too. It has a sequel for PS2 that was only released in Japan. I've yet to play it, but anything I've read about it mentions the game's horror-like atmosphere. I'm sure most of you have played Demon's Souls so no need to go into detail there. A stretch, but just my thoughts.
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Post by SwooshBear »

What about the flood levels of halo? Maybe its just me but those guys scare the **** out of me. and you get a shotgun so...
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742