Direct sequel RPGs

Level up here
Ack

Re: Direct sequel RPGs

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:
vejita wrote:Xenosaga

How did I forget this?

Ack wrote:There's always the Lufia series, where the ending to Lufia II is the beginning of Lufia. And there's always the hints in Final Fantasy Tactics that it's the same world as Final Fantasy 7 many centuries later.

While Lufia II does lead directly into Lufia, there is the "100 years later" thing that makes it a direct sequel, same world, but completely new cast. Similarly FFT and FF7, potentially same world, but not same protagonists.

Come on, Cloud? You know you got him. Every time.
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

suikoden..., .HACK, ogre battle / tactics series has repeat characters through it. dragon quest 3,4,5
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

onemanfilmcrew wrote:Well, apparently they are coming out with a direct sequel to Final Fantasy IV via Wii Ware

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/home/958463.html

seriously, would it kill them to release this for the DS or something?

I never download games for a lot of reasons but, I have to get this. Its my favorite Final Fantasy entry. So glad they made the decision to localize it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

spiritplx wrote:Shining Force 1 and two of the Shining Force games for the Game Gear (or Shining Force CD for the Sega CD). The first Game Gear/Sega CD game is 20 years after SF1, and the second GG game is only years after the first GG game.

Most of the characters are not playable throughout each game, but many make appearances or are mentioned.

That's right. The flow is SF1 -> SFG1 & 2, concurrently it goes SF1 -> SFG3, which shows Max and Adam's landing at Hassan and a chase, you get to recruit Oddeye (which is awesome), and then that leads to SF2 about 60 years later. You have Hawel in your party in SFG3, and in SF2 you walk in on him dying.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Briomoto
8-bit

Post by Briomoto »

I've never really played them but wasn't Evolution 2 (Dreamcast) a direct sequel of the first Evolution? I've had a DC since day one so I feel a bit foolish for knowing nothing about these games. Would anyone recommend giving them a try or not? I've already put enough playtime into the console's more stellar RPGs to care if the Evo games are even a fraction as good. As long as they have a halfway decent story and gameplay, I'd be happy to kill a few hours playing them.
weasels
Next-Gen

Post by weasels »

Briomoto wrote:I've never really played them but wasn't Evolution 2 (Dreamcast) a direct sequel of the first Evolution?

yah Evolution 2 was direct.
"ninja's wear clothing of every color so they can blend with the alphabet."-best friend concerning bushido blade 2.
my trade and sell list is right here: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20601

N64, saturn model 2, ds, Dreamcast, ps1, ps2, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, xbox, 3DO, psp slim (v.3001.)
feel free to PM/IM me if you feel like talking to me.
sakicfan84
24-bit

Post by sakicfan84 »

The Phantasy Star series ties together pretty well. Lots of the back story in the games relates to the previous entries. You'll get more enjoyment out of Phantasy Star IV if you have played the other entries.
X-Fire: ezsblehman
vejita
64-bit

Post by vejita »

Ephemeral Fantasia featured main characters from a previous game- Mouse, Pattimo, Beak, and Fang.

Radical Dreamers and Chrono Cross are close as direct sequels, but it is not really coherent to claim both are even in the same universe...

Also I heard there is consideration to revamp Ephemeral Fantasia on XLA to do it right this time like it should have been on the Dreamcast when instead it came out on the PS2.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Surprised nobody mentioned the Suikoden series. You might not have the same main characters, but they're all in the same huge world and there's typically always some cameo's, characters that cross over to multiple games and are playable, etc.

EDIT: I guess chupon did beat me to it. :mrgreen:
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

If you count Boktai as an RPG, those follow directly.

Ivo.