Xbox One

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Xbox One

Post by Hobie-wan »

Microsoft Can't Tell Us If The Xbox One Is Region-Free Or Not

They're being weaselly about answering, but this brings up a point. They might enforce regions via IP. That could be really damn annoying as you might not be able to at least work around it by purchasing a system from another region to play games from there.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

Microsoft says the idea of ownership is morphing.

Also, remember that patent MS filed a while back? The one about using a camera to detect how many users are using a device and then charge for additional users beyond the license terms? I'd forgotten about it, but remembered it this morning when I was thinking about the new kinect being required. That looks like bad news somewhere down the road to me.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
01toubib
32-bit

Post by 01toubib »

I guess in November we will really find out how many uneducated consumers are out there by the sales of the xbone. I can't imagine anyone who knows a lot about this console would be very interested in it.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

DinnerX wrote:Also, remember that patent MS filed a while back? The one about using a camera to detect how many users are using a device and then charge for additional users beyond the license terms? I'd forgotten about it, but remembered it this morning when I was thinking about the new kinect being required. That looks like bad news somewhere down the road to me.

Might be worth keeping in mind, but I wouldn't worry too much right now. Companies patent a lot of tech they ultimately never end up using.
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

AppleQueso wrote:
DinnerX wrote:Also, remember that patent MS filed a while back? The one about using a camera to detect how many users are using a device and then charge for additional users beyond the license terms? I'd forgotten about it, but remembered it this morning when I was thinking about the new kinect being required. That looks like bad news somewhere down the road to me.

Might be worth keeping in mind, but I wouldn't worry too much right now. Companies patent a lot of tech they ultimately never end up using.
Quite true. It's a potential issue, but not something I'd claim was going to happen soon with any certainty.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Oh yeah.

If you get banned, you lose ALL your games tied to that account. Theoretically making those discs worthless as I assume you lose the licences required to trade the games in as there is no account to revoke the licence from.

I'm just lost for words, I know the simple solution to this is to not get banned. However, false positives are not impossible and there has been several evidenced instances of innocent users getting banned in the past. Imagine, through no fault of your own, you get banned. That's a hell of an investment gone straight down the drain.

Fuck. That.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yuck. I hate the thought of purchasing a $500 paperweight.

I feel kinda bad for Microsoft. It's like every time they speak, they just say something wrong.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Niode wrote:Oh yeah.

If you get banned, you lose ALL your games tied to that account. Theoretically making those discs worthless as I assume you lose the licences required to trade the games in as there is no account to revoke the licence from.

I'm just lost for words, I know the simple solution to this is to not get banned. However, false positives are not impossible and there has been several evidenced instances of innocent users getting banned in the past. Imagine, through no fault of your own, you get banned. That's a hell of an investment gone straight down the drain.

Fuck. That.

Holy crap. I've been wrongfully banned from a service once so far, so I know it can happen. I'd be furious if I was banned and lost every game I owned for a console. It's one thing for a company to be able to ban you from playing your own console online, and another for them to remove your offline abilities + your ownership of the games in the first place.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
lost_within
Next-Gen

Post by lost_within »

Ack wrote:Yuck. I hate the thought of purchasing a $500 paperweight.

I feel kinda bad for Microsoft. It's like every time they speak, they just say something wrong.

Check this out

http://m.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One ... 56737.html
Yep, I know im the one ya love to hate.
Ack

Post by Ack »

lost_within wrote:
Ack wrote:Yuck. I hate the thought of purchasing a $500 paperweight.

Check this out

http://m.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One ... 56737.html

Ha. Haha. Oh man, that's just wrong.