Dragon Quest Swords

Level up here
disorderlyvision
128-bit

Dragon Quest Swords

Post by disorderlyvision »

I went around to some pawn shops today, and picked up some games. One of the games I got was Dragon Quest Swords for the Wii. I was wondering what you guys thought of this game. I did a forum search but didn't find too much.

I listed the original DW as my least favorite RPG in the worst RPGs thread, and haven't really ever given the series a chance since. I seen Swords at the pawn shop and figured I'd give it a go.... (but I also picked up Super Paper Mario and decided to play it first).
Flake

Re: Dragon Quest Swords

Post by Flake »

Great idea. Far too simple an execution.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Montivagant

Post by Montivagant »

I beat this game last year... ultimately it's a "decent" game, 7/10. Yes this game starts out quite simple, but by the end of it, there's a fair amount of complexity going on. You obtain all sorts of equipment upgrades, a small pool of NPC assistants, the ability to visit and re-explore areas at will, and there are a few small secrets to find I won't spoil. Also, Fleurette is just awesome.

That said, this game is a lite action-RPG on rails, don't expect serious depth of any sort. And yes, DQS starts off easy, and stays easy for a while. But the last third of the game becomes seriously tough. And the final battle with Xiphos will probably physically harm your arm in order to beat him. I am not joking when I say that for about three days my arm was sore after finishing the final area and beating the final, final, final boss.

I walked away from the experience thinking it was a great idea, with a mildly botched execution, but in no way a "bad" game. I would say play it for its quirky charm, but if you get tired of it and put it away, you're not missing much by skipping the last half of the game. Unless you simply want to beat one of the hardest Wii games available.

Also, OP, DQS is in no way indicative of the series as a whole. Give the DS version of DQ5 or the PS2 version of DQ8 a try for truly excellent DQ plays.
one step at a time
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

It really isn't that great. The control is balls - for some bizarre reason it uses just the Wiimote instead of the Wiimote/nunchuck combo.
Boyward
16-bit

Post by Boyward »

It's more like an on-rails arcade shooter than an actual RPG, but I'm okay with that. Here's a review I wrote for Christian Guide2Games:

http://guide2games.org/2008-reviews/432 ... f-mirrors/
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

DQS is the modern version of the classic NeoGeo title Cross Swords. Its RPG lite with some really fun moments, and coop.
disorderlyvision
128-bit

Post by disorderlyvision »

so basically, there is fun to be had as long as you don't have high expectations?
By RPG-lite, is it like FF mystic Quest, i.e. a beginners RPG?
I'm kind of confused by the way you guys described the controls, how do you move around without the nunchuck? Do you use the D-pad classic controller style until a battle begins and then swing the wiimote around like a sword or something?
Montivagant

Post by Montivagant »

You don't use the nunchuk at all in the game. It's completely Wii remote controlled. You use the d-pad to move and the waggle to swing your sword. The controls are very simple and work well enough until you reach the hellish bosses at the end of the game. By that time you have powerful NPC spells to help you though.

You can visit a town in the game that has NPCs to converse with as well as shops to buy upgraded gear from. You can freely explore the town as well as a temple nearby, a castle, and a few caves. That's outside of the main missions of the game. The town, its shops, and its NPCs are why I consider the game an RPG-lite, and not just an action game. I would not at all consider the experience to be an "on rails shooter" by any means. You control your own movement forward and backward in incremental steps, and you don't have a gun. Although you can use your sword to deflect some enemy projectiles back at them.
one step at a time