A free PC game every few days

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
J T
Next-Gen

Re: A free PC game every few days

Post by J T »

Knights and Dragons
(Size: 153 MB)

This is a fanmade mashup of Capcom's beatemup classics Knights of the Round and King of Dragons. It uses OpenBOR, the open source Beats of Rage software. I hadn't heard of this before and it looks like it's a good source for free beatemups on the net. I may post some more later.
Last edited by J T on Fri May 13, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles
(Size: 32 MB)

You might have heard of this one before. In 2007 it was released on the GP2X handheld and in 2008 it was released on the Sega Dreamcast. Now it is freely available on the PC!

Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles is a color matching puzzle game that ultimately has you doing battle in a Puzzle Fighter-style way. It has some lovingly crafted sprite artwork and is fun to play. Its retro charm gives it an edge over other color matching puzzle games.
Last edited by J T on Fri May 13, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/03/20-fr ... st-play/3/

PC Gamer decided to make a free game list. Most of these are common knowledge or JT's already covered, but I always like seeing people pimp Dwarf Fortress and Yume Nikki out.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer
(Size: 25 MB)

WARNING: This game involves such horrible things as abduction, manipulation, torture, rape, murder, and other vile human acts.

I struggled with whether or not I should even post this. This game is intensely disturbing. I will warn you of that upfront. Some of you will probably be angry with me for even posting this. I'm not saying that to kid around, either, I am quite serious. This game is very psychologically disturbing and if you are a child or mentally unstable person, you should not play this game. The paradox though, is that if you are a mentally stable person, you probably won't like what this game is about.

So why am I posting this against my better judgment? Because despite being completely offensive, disgusting, and immoral, the game is also incredibly well written. It explores the psyches of its characters with a fearless depth that few videogames ever do. It takes chances. It's dangerous. It's evocative. And yes, part of what I like about it is the very fact that it is so disturbing because it is so very good at being disturbing.

In Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer you are part of a secret society of sadists that kidnap people and bring them into their homemade dungeons to videotape the torture and murder of their unwilling victims. They then upload their videos to a website and exchange reviews of one another's snuff films, well if the person dies that is. The ultimate goal for these sadists is not actually to kill their victims, but to break them down physically and emotionally to the point that their lives are forever haunted and destroyed, so that when they survive the dungeon there is still no hope, they rest forever on the verge of madness, and only wish they were dead. This is when they have made what the dungeoneers call a "beautiful escape."
Last edited by J T on Fri May 13, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Wow! Lot of interesting stuff here! I'm going to have fun trying everything in this thread!
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

An RPG Maker game?
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

brunoafh wrote:An RPG Maker game?

Yeah, I know. I'm actually glad it's nothing more graphically advanced than that because I don't know if I could stomach the game otherwise. It's grim enough even with the cartoony sprite work.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I finished Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer. I'm not sure if I would recommend playing it, but if you decide to play it I recommend playing it through to the end. Things get increasingly messed up throughout the game and the point of the story isn't really clear until the ending. The game takes maybe 1-2 hours to complete. I would have gone faster if I had realized that "sustainable" dungeon traps meant that you could bang on the 1 and 2 keys to sustain the effect of the device.

I think I'll write a longer spoiler-filled review of it later.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

J T wrote:I finished Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer. I'm not sure if I would recommend playing it, but if you decide to play it I recommend playing it through to the end. Things get increasingly messed up throughout the game and the point of the story isn't really clear until the ending. The game takes maybe 1-2 hours to complete. I would have gone faster if I had realized that "sustainable" dungeon traps meant that you could bang on the 1 and 2 keys to sustain the effect of the device.

I think I'll write a longer spoiler-filled review of it later.

I've been playing it, but I can't pass the first, uh, torture. The victim always escapes.

Hitting the buttons for sustainables doesn't seem to help me.

Its a really creepy game though. Just the intro, with the guy crying... This is fucked.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

CFFJR wrote:I've been playing it, but I can't pass the first, uh, torture. The victim always escapes.

Hitting the buttons for sustainables doesn't seem to help me.

Its a really creepy game though. Just the intro, with the guy crying... This is fucked.

It took me awhile to get through the first one too, but the rest were easy after that. There are a few things the game never explains to you. The sequence of torture devices can be important. For example, stripping them down before cutting with razors. Also how far apart they are from each other. If the victim is able to walk for awhile without being tortured, they gain hope, which hurts your chances and lowers your review score on the sadforsobbers website. You also want to shmooze the guy that supplies the torture equipment by playing into his ego so that he will give you more stuff. Also, to get a "beautiful escape" you have to break down their health and will until there is just a tiny yellow sliver left on the indicator bars before they exit the dungeon. Beautiful escapes get you better ratinges and the equipment supplier will give you better instruments for your next video.