I just bought an oXbox for the first time (sorta)

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: I just bought an oXbox for the first time (sorta)

Post by emwearz »

Sorry I forgot to mention that it is based on the film of the same name, shouldn't make assumptions! is is half prequel, halve the films timeline. I am a fan of the film and had seen it prior to the game, but not needed.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

Ziggy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:18 pm I got FFX when it came out and got frustrated with it. I hated how many cutscenes there are. I felt like I was watching the game more than I was playing it. I can clearly remember at one point, I had just finished watching a cut scene then walked about 10 seconds down a path which triggered another cutscene. It annoyed me enough that I stopped playing the game. Of course, that was a very long time ago and I was relatively young. I've been curious to give FFX another shot some time, to see if my opinion of it has changed.

Story-wise, what is the relation of The Third Age to the rest of the franchise? As of right now, I have not seen any of the LotR movies. I have read most of the first book, but still have to finish it. I figured I would watch the movies after I finish reading the books. That said, where does this book fit in? Should I wait to play it until after I have read the books? Or watched the movies? Or does it not matter?
It has been a few years since I've played it but to give a brief synopsis: the Third Age follows a group of people who are trying to catch up to the Fellowship. I only got like a third of the way through before I put it down but it's my understanding that it follows the whole story. I'd probably play it after reading the books or watching the movies as it may spoil some things if you're not caught up with the whole plot.

It's an okay game. If you wind up being a big LotR fan after finishing the books I'd check it out. Otherwise your time may be better spent giving FFX another shot (if you so desire). It's one I want to go back to when I find the time (but I really enjoy LotR).
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

What time of games are you currently in the mood for Ziggs? Or are you just wanting a bit of a backlog and enjoy collecting again?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

My Xbox came in the mail yesterday!

Sorry if this post isn't worded well, I've had an exhausting day...

Unlike when I got the 360 (the seller just tossed everything loose in a box, including a loose disc LOL), the seller of this Xbox actually did a great job packaging it. The console had a few layers of bubble wrap on all sides, and there was padding all around it in the box. I tested it a little bit last night, just a few minutes in a couple of games, and everything seems to work great!

I had to open it up to check on a few things. Most important, I wanted to check the solder joints for the AC connector since that can be dangerous. They look OK. The seller stated that some maintenance was done: Clock cap removed, drive belt replaced, CPU and GPU thermal compound replaced. I wanted to crack it open and confirm a few things. The clock cap was indeed removed, but it looks like it leaked a bit. Either someone didn't clean it, or didn't do a good enough job cleaning it. So I scrub it a little with IPA, you don't want that stuff to sit on the PCB because it will corrode parts and eat traces. For those that don't know, the Xbox is known for having the clock capacitor leak. And I saw a bit of dried thermal paste floating around, so I guess that means the heatsinks were pulled. I'll probably pull them off again and then have to reapply the thermal compound. I think I want to do a recap on this, so I'll end up doing a more detailed cleaning of the motherboard at that time.

So it looks like this is a version 1.0 console. I've seen different 3D printed brackets to get aftermarket fans on there, which I definitely want to do. The stock fans are so damn loud and annoying. What I'll probably do is just slowly order parts for this. I already have the mod chip, but I'll have to order caps, fan brackets, and some other random bits and bobs. Then at some point I'll just go to town and do everything at once. After I get the mod chip installed, I plan to upgrade the HDD with a SSD.

The console skin is kinda cool, at least in that it's a part of video game history. Like when you see those NES controller stickers. So it almost seems like a shame to remove it, but there's just no way I want to keep that on there LOL. It came off very easily, and luckily there were no real surprises underneath. Just one small blemish, but not a bid deal. Looks better in person than the above pic, the camera pics up everything. The scratches on the glossy part to stand out nearly as much in person. And also, there's a ton of lint on it because I had just wiped it prior to taking that pic.

edit: Forgot to mention... This Xbox came with composite cables. I know I can get really cheap component cables, but the quality of them is questionable. I was going to hold out and get the ElectronXout when it's back in stock (converts to HDMI output), but I may end up getting some cheap component cables after all. Just to hold me over. The composite video signal really is shit.
opa wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:36 pm It's an okay game. If you wind up being a big LotR fan after finishing the books I'd check it out. Otherwise your time may be better spent giving FFX another shot (if you so desire). It's one I want to go back to when I find the time (but I really enjoy LotR).
I only just recently became interested in LotR. And like I said, I'm most of the way through Fellowship. But that said, so far I'm a fan. This game definitely sounds interesting. And I've already picked up a copy since it's very cheap. Question though: To avoid any possible spoilers, is it safe to play the game after reading Fellowship? Or should I wait to play this game until after I finish the trilogy?
emwearz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:27 am What time of games are you currently in the mood for Ziggs? Or are you just wanting a bit of a backlog and enjoy collecting again?
Yeah, I have to admit, I'm really enjoying being able to collect again with a lot of the Xbox games being so cheap. So I guess I'm just looking to grab any game that I might be interested in playing, either now or sometime in the future. But I have been on sort of an old school FPS kick. I use to play a lot of FPS during this console generation, but eventually I got pretty burnt out on them. I haven't played many FPS since then. But more recently I've been slowly becoming interested in them again. I don't know if it's nostalgia for the games I played back then, or if I'm just genuinely interested in the genre again LOL.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Just a note: I have a 1.0, the GPU fan did my head in.

My console is modded, I looked at temps with it on and off, not a massive difference. I remove it all together like a decade ago and not had issue, I have opened it up and cleaned it a hand full of times in that period.

I recently played through Spider-Man 2 a few months ago, still no issue.
But I have been on sort of an old school FPS kick.
Have you played Black? If not watch a quick video review and see if it is to your tastes, underrated game from this generation and played the best on Xbox.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein has a decent Xbox port and the best thing is it has a console exclusive opening mission not found in the PC game.

Though by no means the best versions of the game by a long shot, I love firing up Half Life 2 and Doom 3 on the Xbox to see the concessions they have to make to get these games to run on the console.
I only just recently became interested in LotR. And like I said, I'm most of the way through Fellowship. But that said, so far I'm a fan. This game definitely sounds interesting. And I've already picked up a copy since it's very cheap. Question though: To avoid any possible spoilers, is it safe to play the game after reading Fellowship? Or should I wait to play this game until after I finish the trilogy?
It literally follows through the three books, so you could play up until The Fellowship ends, but I would suggest finishing the story through before starting the game. It does have the assumption you know the story (more so the Films as it shows some scenes from different perspectives, etc). You could play it without knowing the story for sure, but you will get more from it knowing the story.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

emwearz wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:42 pm Just a note: I have a 1.0, the GPU fan did my head in.

My console is modded, I looked at temps with it on and off, not a massive difference. I remove it all together like a decade ago and not had issue, I have opened it up and cleaned it a hand full of times in that period.

I recently played through Spider-Man 2 a few months ago, still no issue.
That's really interesting. I guess Microsoft themselves decided the fan was unnecessary, which is why they replaced it on all future revisions with just a slightly bigger heatsink. But now I'm actually tempted to just unplug mine, the noise is so annoying! Ultimately I will replace it with a Noctua fan, I've already ordered an adapter bracket for it.
emwearz wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:42 pm Have you played Black? If not watch a quick video review and see if it is to your tastes, underrated game from this generation and played the best on Xbox.
Black is a *fantastic* game. I just recently played it for the first time, maybe a couple of years ago. It felt like it could easily be a 7th gen FPS. I played it on PS2, but maybe I'll replay it on the Xbox.
emwearz wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:42 pm Return to Castle Wolfenstein has a decent Xbox port and the best thing is it has a console exclusive opening mission not found in the PC game.
I'll add this one to my list. I have played the PC version, but never at any real length.
emwearz wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:42 pm It literally follows through the three books, so you could play up until The Fellowship ends, but I would suggest finishing the story through before starting the game. It does have the assumption you know the story (more so the Films as it shows some scenes from different perspectives, etc). You could play it without knowing the story for sure, but you will get more from it knowing the story.
I think I'll just wait until I finish the books, even if that ends up being a long while from now. I have plenty of other games to play in the meantime.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I had a DOA fan & installed an 80mm PC fan with no issues. The system did run significantly cooler after (vs no fan):
viewtopic.php?t=50815

You're the right track with Halo CE & H2 for FPS. Classics. Agreed Black is another great one. The Doom 3 port on OGX really is impressive. Crazy they got it running that well. Listed some others below.

FPS:
- Doom 3
- Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (expansion DLC disc)
- Unreal Championship 2 Liandri Conflict
- Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay
- Darkwatch

Once modded, several FPS homebrew PC ports are available such as Aliens vs Predator, Quake series, Doom series, Duke, Wolfenstein, Heretic, & Hexen:
viewtopic.php?t=50879

Notable standouts I haven't seen mentioned yet:
- Mech Assault 1 & 2
- Project Gotham Racing 1 & 3
- Crimson Skies
- Quantum Redshift (several ex-Psygnosis Wipeout devs)
- Gun Valkyrie
- Jade Empire
- Shenmue II
- Beyond Good & Evil
- Destroy All Humans 1 & 2
- Psychonauts
- VooDoo Vince
- Grabbed by Ghoulies
- Second Sight
- Psi Ops
- Rogue Trooper
- Xmen Legends 1 & 2
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance
- Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
- Blood Rayne 1 & 2
- Blood Omen 2
- Legacy of Kain Defiance
- Hunter the Reckoning
- Hunter the Reckoning Redeemer

... Brute Force has an interesting history. They expected that game to be their system seller alongside Blinx.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

Just thought I would mention that I remember the xbox version of GTA3 was pretty cool. There was a radio station in the game that could play music off your harddrive.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

You all already know I'm crazy, so I don't have to hide it. :lol:

I got another Xbox!

As previously mentioned, eBay listings for an Xbox that is listed as tested/working goes for around $100. But you can certainly get one cheaper than that, it's just most likely untested/as-is. Because I like having backup hardware, I decided to get another Xbox. But now that I have a few things (a controller, AV cables, mod chip, and working Xbox for reference if needed) I feel comfortable rolling the dice on a bare console that's untested. Even if it ended up having issues, I feel confident enough to repair it. So I stumbled across one that looked really nice in the pics, and sent a best offer to the seller for $47 which was accepted. Shipping cost was only $7 on top of that.

I got the second Xbox in the mail the other day and it looks very clean in person. It actually looks better than my first Xbox (the one that came with the Halo decal). So I tested it, and not only does it work, but it's been softmodded! LOL. I'm not really surprised, but it was a nice bonus on top of a fully working and nice looking Xbox.

I already cracked it open, and aside from a LOT of dust it looks very good. I removed the clock cap, which was leaking but not too much. And since I was in there, I figured I might as well replace the thermal compound on the CPU and GPU. Looks like it's a v1.1, which is actually nice because it has a larger TSOP which I believe allows for more BIOS options. Being that it's already softmodded, I wont bother with a mod chip in this one, I'll just flash the TSOP at some point. The DVD drive works perfectly, so I'm also happy about that.

Now, back to the first Xbox... The fan noise was starting to drive me mad! I ordered a 40mm and 60mm Noctua fan along with the needed 3D printed adapters.

It's super quiet now! It's mostly the GPU fan that really sucks. My second Xbox doesn't have the GPU fan, and the stock case fan isn't at all annoying. I'm debating whether or not I will bother replacing it or not.
Jagosaurus wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:30 am I had a DOA fan & installed an 80mm PC fan with no issues. The system did run significantly cooler after (vs no fan):
viewtopic.php?t=50815

You're the right track with Halo CE & H2 for FPS. Classics. Agreed Black is another great one. The Doom 3 port on OGX really is impressive. Crazy they got it running that well. Listed some others below.

FPS:
- Doom 3
- Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (expansion DLC disc)
- Unreal Championship 2 Liandri Conflict
- Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay
- Darkwatch

Once modded, several FPS homebrew PC ports are available such as Aliens vs Predator, Quake series, Doom series, Duke, Wolfenstein, Heretic, & Hexen:
viewtopic.php?t=50879
Thanks for the recommendations! DOOM 3, I'm not the biggest fan of on PC, but I'm kinda curious to check out the Xbox port. It's sort of a famous port, after all. And thanks for mentioning the homebrew stuff, I forgot all about that. It'll definitely be fun to check some of that stuff out.
opa wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:05 pm Just thought I would mention that I remember the xbox version of GTA3 was pretty cool. There was a radio station in the game that could play music off your harddrive.
Haha, yeah, that's pretty cool. I remember that was a big deal back in the day, that you could rip CDs to the HDD and a lot of games allowed for custom soundtracks. I never knew that GTA3 had a radio station that could play music from the HDD, that's pretty neat.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Turns out it's a mistake to replace the case fan on a stock console. The 60mm Noctua simply doesn't move enough air compared to the stock 72mm fan. I've read that on a modded console you can increase the fan speed to compensate, but you cannot do that on a stock console (obviously). I was gaming for about an hour when I put my hand behind the console, the air coming out from the fan was very hot. As was the bottom of the console. So I opened it up to put the stock case fan back in it, and noticed that the HDD was also very hot. The stock 72mm really isn't too loud, so I have no issue keeping it in there. At least for now. It was just that damn GPU fan that really sucks. So I don't know, I may circle back to the case fan after modding.

But yeah, if you're Xbox isn't modded, then do NOT swap the stock case fan out for the 60mm Noctua.