Games that are actually good in Switch handheld mode?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Games that are actually good in Switch handheld mode?

Post by Raging Justice »

I've started playing some games on the Switch just recently, after binging on lots of 3ds games, and I'm noticing some games are kind of annoying to play in handheld mode. I've played Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition and Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars and in both cases I have found certain things to be REALLY tiny onscreen. Some stuff is just hard to read, and in Hyrule Warriors it's hard to even see your character on the mini map

I did not have these issues playing games on the 3ds (in fact I'd say Hyrule Warriors is MUCH better as a portable experience on the 3ds), which leads me to believe that some developers are releasing games on the Switch without caring whether or not the games are optimized for handheld mode.

I have also noticed when playing Super Mario Odyssey that the game seems to be legitimately angry at me for playing in handheld mode as it constantly keeps telling me that I'd have more features if I played it on the TV with the joy cons, which seems to be true as some of Mario's abilities don't even seem possible when playing in handheld mode.

Are there games you guys recommend that don't suck in handheld mode? I'm starting to think that the Switch's much vaunted portable gaming option (the main reason many people claim that a lot of games are better on the Switch) is over hyped and that the 3ds was much better in this regard.
marurun

Re: Games that are actually good in Switch handheld mode?

Post by marurun »

BotW actually works really well handheld, as do most indie titles. Kirby also
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ha I feel the opposite. I only hook my Switch to the television for Ring Fit Adventure, Active Life: Outdoor Challenge, and Nintendo Switch Sports.

I like how Kirby looks on handheld mode. Visual novels too, can cozymaxx with those in bed.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Seeing as I primarily use my Switch for RPGs and arcade games like beat 'em ups, most of what I play has been fine on the handheld mode. And the updated Link's Awakening was fantastic. It felt great to play an updated handheld game I played as a kid on a modern handheld.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Ha I feel the opposite. I only hook my Switch to the television for Ring Fit Adventure, Active Life: Outdoor Challenge, and Nintendo Switch Sports.

I like how Kirby looks on handheld mode. Visual novels too, can cozymaxx with those in bed.

Pretty much this for me too. I only plug my switch into the TV for Ring Fit Adventure and multiplayer. I've never really had many issues with games in handheld mode.
lwcook
128-bit

Post by lwcook »

It might not be for everyone, but rhythm/music games are great in handheld mode. Not usually a lot of text, and the biggest plus is you don't have to really worry about calibration/AV sync like you do on modern TVs.

I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy - Final Bar Line and can not recommend it enough if you have any interest in rhythm games.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

99% of my time with the Witcher 3 has been in handheld mode. Doesn't look or play that great on a tv, tbh.