Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10335
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by prfsnl_gmr Thu May 23, 2019 4:44 pm

God bless you, Bone. That’s dedication to your favorite genre! pook99...your brother had strange taste!

.....

First 25
1. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (NDS)
2. Reigns (iOS)
3. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
4. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (GB)
5. Castlevania Legends (GB)
6. Yankai’s Triangle (iOS)
7. Mega Man III (GB)
8. Mega Man IV (GB)
9. Mega Man V (GB)
10. Sin & Punishment (N64)
11. Love You to Bits (iOS)
12. Mega Man Powered Up - Old Style (PSP)
13. Mega Man Powered Up - New Style (PSP)
14. Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA)
15. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (NDS)
16. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (NDS)
17. Detective Pikachu (3DS)
18. Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
19. Fantasy Zone Gear (GG)
20. Fantasy Zone - The Maze (SMS)
21. Fantasy Zone (Famicom)
22. Fantasy Zone (NES)
23. Kung Fu Master (2600)
24. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
25. Kid Dracula (GB)

26. Fantasy Zone (TG16)
27. Double Dragon V (SNES)
28. Fantasy Zone II (Famicom)
29. Street Fighter: The Movie (PS1)
30. Fire Fly (2600)
31. Pac Man (2600)
32. Extreme Sports with the Berenstain Bears (GBC)
33. Fantasy Zone (PS2)
34. Space Fantasy Zone (TG16)
35. Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
36. Mega Man (GG)
37. Konami Pixel Puzzle (iOS)
38. Qix (Arcade/NES)


Mega Man (GG) is a lazy, short, and easy version of the NES’s worst Mega Man game. It’s completely superfluous, and all but the series’ most dedicated fans should skip it.

Konami Pixel Puzzle (iOS) is pretty much a perfect mobile game, and it’s been my go-to time waster for months. First, it’s completly free and completely ad-free. Second, it’s a series of 500(!) nonogram puzzles (i.e., Picross puzzles) based on classic Hudson and Konami games and set to classic Hudson and Konami game music. It includes some of the deep cuts too. In addition to games like Bomberman, Castlevania, Contra, Goemon, Gradius, Sunset Riders, Twinbee, etc., it has puzzles based on games like Esper Dream, Getsu Fuma Den, Knightmare, Milon’s secret Castle, Pooyan, Space Manbow, Tokimeki Memorial, and others. I’m a pretty big nerd for this stuff, and even I hadn’t heard of some of these games until I beat a puzzle based on them. It’s a great testament to the fantastic games Hudson and Konami have released over the years, and a sad reminder of how many great IPs Konami isn’t doing anything with today. Nonetheless, I hate to think about how many hours I poured into this absolutely spectacular love letter to classic gaming, and I really can’t recommend it highly enough, especially to the members of this forum. (Again...it’s COMPLETELY FREE. If you have a smartphone, there’s no reason not to get it.)

Qix is a brilliant, classic arcade game in which you score points by drawing lines to box off sections of the play field. You are pursued by “sparks” that rotate around the play field’s exterior, and if they touch you, you lose a life. They can’t follow you when you start drawing a box in the play field, but when you’re there, you can be killed by the dreaded Qix, a series of lines (reminiscent of a Windows 3.1 screensaver) that flies around the screen randomly. If the Qix touches any part of a line before you finish drawing it, you lose a life. (It’s wild movements make it a truly terrifying, indestructible foe.) You can draw lines fast or slow, and drawing them slowly results in a higher score multiplier. You finish a level when you box out a 75% of the play field, and you get a massive multiplier for boxing off more than that. The issue is that, as you box off more of the play field, the space in which the Qix is contained shrinks, making it progressively more dangerous to draw lines.

The game is incredibly tense, but addictive. As you play, you develop some strategies for handling it. Also, you can’t REALLY beat it, since it just loops after the first level (but adding more Qix on the third field). My score improved progressively, and I eventually doubled the default high high score of 30,000 points. I also “split” the Qix on the third level for a massive multiplier. Accordingly, I determined that: (1) I’m now a pretty good Qix player; and (2) I’ve done everything you can do in the game. Accordingly, I consider it “beaten” now. I also “beat” the NES version, which is pretty much exactly the same as the arcade version, but with a rad late ‘80s/early ‘90s aesthetic. The simple, abstract graphics have aged wonderfully, and the game still plays great. Very highly recommended.
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 19062
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by BoneSnapDeez Thu May 23, 2019 5:53 pm

pook99 wrote:My brother used to love Lagoon, that and Drakkhen were probably his 2 favorite SNES games lol.


oh dear how did this happen
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21066
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by Ack Thu May 23, 2019 6:48 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
pook99 wrote:My brother used to love Lagoon, that and Drakkhen were probably his 2 favorite SNES games lol.


oh dear how did this happen

To be fair, the SNES port is the best version of Drakkhen...though it's still Drakkhen
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
pook99
64-bit
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by pook99 Thu May 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Yeah, I used to watch him play Drakkhen for hours and just wonder how he was enjoying himself, even 13 year old me knew that game sucked, and I was a kid who genuinely enjoyed ET for atari 2600.
pook99
64-bit
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by pook99 Thu May 23, 2019 7:05 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:God bless you, Bone. That’s dedication to your favorite genre! pook99...your brother had strange taste!

.....

First 25
1. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (NDS)
2. Reigns (iOS)
3. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
4. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (GB)
5. Castlevania Legends (GB)
6. Yankai’s Triangle (iOS)
7. Mega Man III (GB)
8. Mega Man IV (GB)
9. Mega Man V (GB)
10. Sin & Punishment (N64)
11. Love You to Bits (iOS)
12. Mega Man Powered Up - Old Style (PSP)
13. Mega Man Powered Up - New Style (PSP)
14. Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA)
15. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (NDS)
16. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (NDS)
17. Detective Pikachu (3DS)
18. Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
19. Fantasy Zone Gear (GG)
20. Fantasy Zone - The Maze (SMS)
21. Fantasy Zone (Famicom)
22. Fantasy Zone (NES)
23. Kung Fu Master (2600)
24. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
25. Kid Dracula (GB)

26. Fantasy Zone (TG16)
27. Double Dragon V (SNES)
28. Fantasy Zone II (Famicom)
29. Street Fighter: The Movie (PS1)
30. Fire Fly (2600)
31. Pac Man (2600)
32. Extreme Sports with the Berenstain Bears (GBC)
33. Fantasy Zone (PS2)
34. Space Fantasy Zone (TG16)
35. Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
36. Mega Man (GG)
37. Konami Pixel Puzzle (iOS)
38. Qix (Arcade/NES)


Mega Man (GG) is a lazy, short, and easy version of the NES’s worst Mega Man game. It’s completely superfluous, and all but the series’ most dedicated fans should skip it.

Konami Pixel Puzzle (iOS) is pretty much a perfect mobile game, and it’s been my go-to time waster for months. First, it’s completly free and completely ad-free. Second, it’s a series of 500(!) nonogram puzzles (i.e., Picross puzzles) based on classic Hudson and Konami games and set to classic Hudson and Konami game music. It includes some of the deep cuts too. In addition to games like Bomberman, Castlevania, Contra, Goemon, Gradius, Sunset Riders, Twinbee, etc., it has puzzles based on games like Esper Dream, Getsu Fuma Den, Knightmare, Milon’s secret Castle, Pooyan, Space Manbow, Tokimeki Memorial, and others. I’m a pretty big nerd for this stuff, and even I hadn’t heard of some of these games until I beat a puzzle based on them. It’s a great testament to the fantastic games Hudson and Konami have released over the years, and a sad reminder of how many great IPs Konami isn’t doing anything with today. Nonetheless, I hate to think about how many hours I poured into this absolutely spectacular love letter to classic gaming, and I really can’t recommend it highly enough, especially to the members of this forum. (Again...it’s COMPLETELY FREE. If you have a smartphone, there’s no reason not to get it.)

Qix is a brilliant, classic arcade game in which you score points by drawing lines to box off sections of the play field. You are pursued by “sparks” that rotate around the play field’s exterior, and if they touch you, you lose a life. They can’t follow you when you start drawing a box in the play field, but when you’re there, you can be killed by the dreaded Qix, a series of lines (reminiscent of a Windows 3.1 screensaver) that flies around the screen randomly. If the Qix touches any part of a line before you finish drawing it, you lose a life. (It’s wild movements make it a truly terrifying, indestructible foe.) You can draw lines fast or slow, and drawing them slowly results in a higher score multiplier. You finish a level when you box out a 75% of the play field, and you get a massive multiplier for boxing off more than that. The issue is that, as you box off more of the play field, the space in which the Qix is contained shrinks, making it progressively more dangerous to draw lines.

The game is incredibly tense, but addictive. As you play, you develop some strategies for handling it. Also, you can’t REALLY beat it, since it just loops after the first level (but adding more Qix on the third field). My score improved progressively, and I eventually doubled the default high high score of 30,000 points. I also “split” the Qix on the third level for a massive multiplier. Accordingly, I determined that: (1) I’m now a pretty good Qix player; and (2) I’ve done everything you can do in the game. Accordingly, I consider it “beaten” now. I also “beat” the NES version, which is pretty much exactly the same as the arcade version, but with a rad late ‘80s/early ‘90s aesthetic. The simple, abstract graphics have aged wonderfully, and the game still plays great. Very highly recommended.


I feel like I learn about a new mega man almost every time you post. Never knew there was a GG version and even though it sucks I feel like I need to play it anyway, its still Bad to the bone in together retro right?
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 9498
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by marurun Thu May 23, 2019 7:53 pm

I found Curse of the Moon to look very Castlevania, but the feel is very different. It clearly pays homage but would feel distinctly out of place against actual Castlevanias.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pook99
64-bit
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by pook99 Thu May 23, 2019 10:42 pm

marurun wrote:I found Curse of the Moon to look very Castlevania, but the feel is very different. It clearly pays homage but would feel distinctly out of place against actual Castlevanias.


I always think of it as if Konami made a new castevania, it feels different for sure, but feels like castlevania would feel if it were made in 2018, similar to Mega Man 11, it does not feel exactly like the old games, but it still feels right.
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21066
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by Ack Sat May 25, 2019 10:55 am

1. Dusk (PC)(FPS)
2. Project: Snowblind (PC)(FPS)
3. Soldier of Fortune: Platinum Edition (PC)(FPS)
4. Ziggurat (PC)(FPS)
5. Wolfenstein 3D: Ultimate Challenge (PC)(FPS)
6. Destiny 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
7. Destiny 2: Curse of Osiris (PC)(FPS/RPG)
8. Destiny 2: Warmind (PC)(FPS/RPG)

9. Destiny 2: Forsaken (PC)(FPS/RPG)
10. Star Wars: Rebel Assault (PC)(Rail Shooter)

11. Castle Werewolf (PC)(FPS)
12. Project Warlock (PC)(FPS)
13. Castle Crashers (PC)(Hack and Slash)
14. This Strange Realm of Mine (PC)(FPS)
15. BioShock Remastered (PC)(FPS)
16. BioShock 2 (PC)(FPS)
17. BioShock 2: Minerva's Den (PC)(FPS)

18. Blood (PC)(FPS)
19. Blood: Cryptic Passage (PC)(FPS)
20. Blood: Post Mortem (PC)(FPS)

21. Shadow Warrior (PC)(FPS)

Who wants some Wang? Because I don't. Seriously, someone come and get this thing away from me.

Now that I've bested Blood, Shadow Warrior is the last of the major trilogy of Build Engine games for me to beat, though it appears I'm in good company; MrPopo knocked it out earlier this year. His conclusions and the responses I've seen from other folks on this forum lead me to believe that I'm not alone in my thoughts: Shadow Warrior is the weakest of the major trilogy, has aged the worst, and while it had some amazing ideas at the time, it's also hampered by cultural jokes that now look to be at best made in poor taste and at worst are just straight up racist.

In Shadow Warrior, you play Lo Wang...yep, a dick joke. Wang's master, Leep, has been killed, so he must go up against the forces of the evil Zilla to take him down. His army is made up of ninjas with uzis, zombie coolies that blow themselves up, ghosts, lizard men, ladies with crossbows in dominatrix gear, gorillas, bees, and other absurdities that make me wonder who thought this was a good idea. As opponents they range from interesting to terrible, with the gorillas probably one of my favorites because of how they move, while the bee is the worst freaking thing devised for the game. Also, the game has variations based on the ninjas, including a shadow one that can unleash explosive waves which will most probably one shot you if they connect. This guy appears in the first level. Great. The only thing that might annoy me more would be a sumo boss that dies and then lets off deadly flatulence.

Oh wait, there is a sumo boss who dies and lets off deadly flatulence. Thanks, Shadow Warrior.

To kill these guys, you have a variety of weapons, ranging from a sword and your bare hands, shuriken, uzis, some kind of chain shotgun, a missile launcher, a grenade launcher, sticky bombs, a rail gun, and so forth. Some of these have variations which change how they function to add versatility, but fully half of them blow you up. I complained about how many of the weapons seemed geared towards self destruction in Blood, but here it is full on half the freaking roster. Oh, you also get a nuclear bomb. Don't stand anywhere close to where you fire a nuclear bomb.

How is the level design? Variable. 3D Realms did do some fascinating stuff with the Build Engine here, enabling rooms on top of rooms, weapons now as 3D designs instead of sprites, working ladders, and so forth. However, they also added necessary switches inside secrets, meaning sometimes you're going to get stuck. I got stuck here way more often than I ever did in Blood. This seems most prominent in the original 4-level episode too, along with some poor choices of enemy placement. Later levels vary, but some are quite nice, and there are a few levels that I genuinely enjoyed the design, but then something would come along, and I'd find myself seeking out a secret necessary to advance or being put in a big, open space that just looks bland. In short, it's a painfully mixed bag of good ideas, bad design, and sometimes just dull set pieces.

Have I mentioned the anime ladies that Wang likes to sexually harass? At least the women of Duke Nukem were strippers that Duke paid. Wang likes to just walk up and make filthy jokes about voyeurism and diarrhea.

Ok, ok, it isn't all bad. The bosses are interesting fights at least, with the final boss incorporating a moving floor that I found fascinating. Some of Lo Wang's one liners are painful, yes, but occasionally he does spout a gem. My favorite was the first time I blasted an enemy in the face with the missile launcher, and Wang shouted, "SHIT!" In that moment, I was right there with him. When he grabs dual uzis, Wang also references John Woo, a subtle nod that I appreciate. Some of the levels are fantastic, such as a village hidden in a forest or a few cityscape levels where Wang openly refers to Duke Nukem. I even spotted a Duke Burger ad in one, and I enjoy some self-referentialism. It's just tough to make up for a lot of content I feel was poorly thought through and some that just feels...gross.

Maybe the expansions are better. I'm moving on to Twin Dragon, which was created by Level Infinity and Wylde Productions. I'm hoping it's an improvement.

"The game reveals that Lo Wang has a twin brother, Hung Lo"

MOTHER FU-
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22690
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by MrPopo Sat May 25, 2019 4:12 pm

I know, it should be Lo Hung.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10335
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by prfsnl_gmr Sat May 25, 2019 5:38 pm

@pook99

Thanks! I’m trying to play through all of the action-platformers starring the original blue bomber. The ones I have left are: (1) Mega Man (DOS); (2) Mega Man III (DOS); (3) Mega Man: The Wily Wars; and (4) Mega Man (Wonder Swan). I was going to emulate The Wily Wars on my PSP, but now, I think I’ll wait to play it on a Sega Genesis Mini. I’m still figuring out a “fun” way to emulate the other three games.

Also, it’s still bad games month for another week or so. Give Mega Man for the Game Gear a shot!

@Ack

Awesome review. That game sounds execrable.
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests