Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by ElkinFencer10 Sat May 13, 2017 8:38 am

I figured that out at 2/3 of the way through the game, and it helped, but I'd still have a few kill themselves anyway.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat May 13, 2017 8:53 am

I think it's probably just something that comes with practice, as I had similar issues the first time I played, but I never have any problems with pikmin getting stuck nowadays.

I remember the fact that Pikmin 3 had taken away the c-stick controls to be a big deal for in that game. It really changed up the way it played for me.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sat May 13, 2017 11:14 am

Sarge wrote:Well, that was interesting. Figured I'd use what I knew from Contra III and put it to use with a better end boss run (yes, I used a save state I had there to test). Managed to keep my death count significantly in all the attempts, mainly from better strategy on which forms to trigger. The worst I get is still the bubbles, but generally I'll hit either the brain one or the rocks. The rocks are actually pretty easy, you can scoot right up to the boss and duck down, and they won't touch you. A quirk of programming, I guess, but I'll take it!

I'll tell you the easiest form. It's the blue/orange colored one, where it gets "legs" and moves back and forth across the screen. If you stay on either the left or the right edge of the screen, it won't be able to kill you. Just jump and shoot!

For me, I lock my eyes on that form and get it about 90% of the time on that one.

I've played this game for years and can beat Normal very comfortably and Hard when I get decent runs through to the end, not losing many lives and surviving stage 5. But watching the Cinemassacre playthrough showed me an easy way to defeat the boss.

I'm also enjoying all the Contra talk!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat May 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
pierrot wrote:Yakuza's still a pretty good game, though.

I'd say it's a pretty great game. I didn't beat the original PS2 Yakuza until 2013. I thought it had aged well and was a lot of fun.

"Fun" would be the optimal word there. I think it is fun, but I also feel it's just too needlessly mindless, and that wasn't what I was hoping for going in, considering the usual comparisons to Shenmue that one hears (although I really should have expected it considering the subject matter). That can pretty much sum up a lot of my gripes with the gameplay, though: The world is 'muddy' and lacks detail, cut-and-paste NPCs everywhere--I couldn't recognize some named ones, even--largely boring, repetitive combat, very little incentive to invest time in most of the distractions. What the team did best was work within a reasonable budget, and produce something that's generally fun.

Also, you can't tell me that you actually enjoyed the highway chase scene.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat May 13, 2017 6:29 pm

First...I am inspired by xeogred's work with the contra series. He still needs to play Operation C, though!

Second, I finally got through 3D Fantasy Zone last night. It ended up reminding me a bit of R-Type Delta...you can continue as much as you want, but if you lose your money and power ups, you can pretty much forget it. (Also, Poppozu is one of the hardest bosses in video games.). I honestly don't know how people got through the original arcade version of this game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat May 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Operation C looks cool. How about Hard Corps Uprising and Contra Rebirth?

I was thinking I'd be done after Contra III and Hard Corps, but maybe these others are legit too. Don't think I'll get around to 4 though.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sat May 13, 2017 6:40 pm

pierrot wrote:Also, you can't tell me that you actually enjoyed the highway chase scene.

If it were the whole game or if it were repeated, I'd probably have a lot more issues with that sequence. It was a one-off silly thing though, so I didn't mind it. It was a silly, over the top thing that I felt fit the tone. It does not make a return in the second game (although it really well could've, you just do normal brawling on the backs of cars instead :P ).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sat May 13, 2017 7:46 pm

1. Captain Toad (WiiU)
2. Lost: Via Domus (PS3)

3. Modnation Racers (PS3)
4. Tron: Evolution (PS3)
5. Dead Rising (PC)
6. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)

7. Yoshi’s Wooly World (Wii U)
8. Stanley Parable (PC)

9. Lone Wolf: Flight From the Dark (Android)
10. Lone Wolf: Fire on the Water (Android)
11. Lone Wolf: The Caverns of Kalte (Android)

12. Lone Wolf: The Chasm of Doom (Android)
13. Lone Wolf: Shadow on the Sand (Android)
14. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

15. LoneWolf: Kingdoms of Terror(Android)
16. Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties (PC)

17. King’s Quest IV (PC)
18. Shovel Knight (PC)

19. The 7th Guest (PC)
20. 1, 2, Switch! (Switch)

21. The Longet Journey (PC)
22. Plague Knight (Switch)
23. Steamworld Dig (Wii U)

24. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (PC)
25. Dragon Quest 8 (3DS)

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - Dreamfall is a continuation of the Longest Journey, which follows a new character Zoe Castillo as she must find and save April Ryan and learn the mystery behind her missing ex-boyfriend who is an investigative journalist trying to uncover an evil plot of a corporation. The gameplay features a mixture of standard adventure game puzzle solving and melee combat. While a lot of people may have been upset with the combat addition, it was a minor flaw as it is insanely easy to overcome enemies with a simple combo. Combat itself is few and far between however in the masterfully crafted story.

You switch between three different characters in the game. Zoe Castillo, who moves between Stark and Arcadia, April Ryan, who is stuck in Arcadia fighting a war against an invading force known as the Azadi, a magic fearing culture of religious zealots that use technology to quell the masses as they round up races into ghettos for eventual execution. The third person you play as Kian Alvane, an Azadi Apostle, who is a warrior vessel for the religious leaders. He is tasked to go to Marcuria (the city that they have invaded) and find and convert (kill) a rallying force from the resistance, The Scorpion.

I can not spoil much, but the interactions between these three characters is splendid and there is a whole bevy of supporting cast members that are memorable and enjoyable. The world is dark and the story is even darker. I can not recommend it enough, it really is something spectacular! And to think that this story does come to a close with Dreamfall Chapters!

Dragon Quest 8 - Man! What an adventure! Dragon Quest 8 is the classic JRPG from the Playstation 2, completely converted with new content and story elements for the 3DS. The only new stuff that I know of is that there are two new party members, of which I honestly didn't use, because I wanted to focus on the main cast.

The story is about a king and his daughter being turned into a monster and horse respectively. They gather some companions to seek out the evil wizard who is responsible for their new forms. Along the way, you experience a wonderfully episodic feeling adventure with colorful characters designed by Akira Toriyama himself.

The gameplay features a turn-based RPG style that surprisingly didn't feel dated or stale. Thankfully, the 3DS version threw out the random battles and allowed you to seek out or avoid monsters at will on the map. Also, they allowed you to speed up the animations in combat to help further you along at a more brisk pace.

My only gripe with the game is that there are some filler moments that really burned me out. Near the end my interest started to fade as I just slogged through. It took a bit of coercing, but I was able to finish it and enjoy the closure to the title, but there were points where I was just hoping it would pick up the pace just a bit. I want to stress that I didn't think the game was bad, just the pacing was a bit off near the end.

I loved it though and am proud to say that I finished a great JRPG classic!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat May 13, 2017 8:04 pm

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)
22. Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
23. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
25. Trip World (GB)
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
27. Aladdin (Genesis)
28. Streets of Rage (SMS)
29. Bare Knuckle (Genesis)
30. Bare Knuckle 2* (Genesis)
31. Bare Knuckle 3* (Genesis)
32. Marchen Adventure Cotton 100% (SNES)
33. Earthworm Jim* (Sega CD)
34. Ghouls'n Ghosts (Genesis)
35. Contra (NES)
36. Super C (NES)
37. Final Fight 2* (SNES)

* replay

Well I failed to beat Final Fight CD several times this week. Thought I'd mop up Final Fight 2 again. I continue to be amazed by its averageness. It basically feels like a lazy Capcom B-effort with Final Fight and Street Fighter leftover assets. It's alright for some mindless fun.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat May 13, 2017 8:18 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:This one just doesn't rank that high for me.

I agree. I didn't get far in the original Pikmin. The game design was boring and felt like endless busy work. I did appreciate the tiny world aesthetic and general graphical design though.
pierrot wrote:Also, you can't tell me that you actually enjoyed the highway chase scene.

It's been four years, and I don't remember the highway chase scene. I remember viciously beating thugs up left and right, enjoying a plot that was worth caring about, and occasionally doing a bit of shopping in the downtown district. Graphics were just fine for me. The game almost always takes place at night, so a bit of dark/muddiness is to be expected.
Xeogred wrote:Operation C looks cool. How about Hard Corps Uprising and Contra Rebirth?

I just can't wait till you play...

It's a piece of cake! I beat it the first time I played it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming