2D Shooters Invade
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Easier shooters you can one shot

by alienjesus Sat May 06, 2017 11:23 am

It's worth noting that I'm no shmup pro - I had a fairly hard time with Lords of Thunder for example. I mean, I HAVE finished it, which probably means it's on the easier end of shmup difficulty, but I didn't breeze it and it took me an awful lot of attempts to finally take it out.

If I'm saying one is fairly easy, odds are that it's not going to be considered too tough by any genre vets

Of my list, Cotton 100% is the easiest. It's also a lot of fun, so give it a go.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat May 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Some good picks here so far.

If you're not too opposed to credit-feeding you could check out some MVS games, Xeo.
marurun

by marurun Sat May 06, 2017 3:40 pm

I think Gate of Thunder is an approachable shooter. Looks good, sounds good, plays good.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Sat May 06, 2017 4:28 pm

I am no Shmup pro. These games I found fun as it's ok if you die and some have easier settings to start out with.
Raiden IV (varius difficulty settings so you should be fine)
Thunder Force III
Deathsmiles (it;s not easy per say at all but since it's not a game about survival you continue from the same spot you died)
Akai Katana (same as Deathsmiles)
Astebreed
Darius Burst CS Arcade mode (if you turn on infinite lives your score will not be kept)
Caladrius Blaze (Same as Raiden IV)
Raiden on Genesis
Soldner X-2 Prototype is a game that gets easier each time you play it.
Cloud Master on SMS isn't too bad
Legend of the Monkey King is a remake of Cloud Master and is doable on Wii
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat May 06, 2017 6:08 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Some good picks here so far.

If you're not too opposed to credit-feeding you could check out some MVS games, Xeo.

Neo Geo stuff? Is it easy to emulate and all?

As long as it's sprite based I'm down. 8)

I think I've done Lords of Thunder (Sega CD) before. I have that now so I'll check that one out again soon.

I wish shmups kind of came standard with infinite continues. I freaking love them and the looks of them because I'm such a sci-fi fanboy, but yeah. Can be tough to see them through. R-Type III in particular, fuck that game.
marurun

by marurun Sat May 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Now Geo is really easy to emulate.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sat May 06, 2017 7:02 pm

NOTE: This post originally did not meet the criteria of this thread. But if you want to try and practice these games, they're fun to play too!

I'd say Axelay (SNES) on Easy is very easy to 1cc, and possibly at Normal difficulty, but nobody could touch my score when we had it as a Shmup of The Month. You'll need to memorize it.

I also 1cc'd Thunder Force AC (Arcade), if only because of the insane number of extra lives you can get.
Last edited by ExedExes on Sun May 07, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
marurun

by marurun Sat May 06, 2017 7:42 pm

You have to try Lords of Thunder for the TG-SCD. The game was originally designed around the Turbo's strengths versus the SNES and Genesis. The Sega CD port cannot compete graphically (or musically, though there seems to be some debate about that for some reason I cannot fathom).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat May 06, 2017 9:07 pm

I see a lot of picks here that you can "one shot" meaning after you've already played the game many times, died many times, and learned how to win after much practice. I didn't realize that was the point. My picks were shmups you might actually beat the first time you play through them.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun May 07, 2017 2:14 am

Exhuminator wrote:I see a lot of picks here that you can "one shot" meaning after you've already played the game many times, died many times, and learned how to win after much practice. I didn't realize that was the point. My picks were shmups you might actually beat the first time you play through them.

That was actually what I was wanting this to be about. Brand new games I can breeze through.

I can see how it's probably confusing and it was late and I was tired when I made this.

Updated thread title.
Last edited by Xeogred on Sun May 07, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Return to Shmups