Racketboy Top 10 All Time SHMUP List - 2016 Edition

2D Shooters Invade
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Top 10 SHMUP List - 2016 Edition

Post by noiseredux »

I have played Gradius V. It's by far the best Gradius game. It's a gorgeous looking game. It wouldn't be in my Top 30 shmups. Doubtful my Top 50. I can't tell you that the Parodius games are "better" than Gradius V, but I can tell you I'd much rather play Parodius games.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:I can't tell you that the Parodius games are "better" than Gradius V, but I can tell you I'd much rather play Parodius games.

Fair enough!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

noiseredux wrote:@o.p:

I think Sturmwind is probably (probably!) the best INDIE shmup on DC. But to say it's the best thing on DC is forgetting about Mars Matrix, Gunbird 2, Triggerheart, Shikigami 2, Chaos Field, Ikaruga... all games I'd say are better.

I didn't forget about any of those. In fact, I wouldn't say any of those are better than Border Down, Cannon Spike, and Zero Gunner 2 are all better than the ones you listed. Although if Gunbird 2 different aesthetics and lacked that annoying childish voice, it would immediately rise to the top.

The styles are different though. Seems you like loli voices and bullet hells, while I prefer manic shooters and dark, atmospheric aesthetics. I also don't love the "collect all the stuff from ships" gameplay aspect a lot of shooters have (Mars Matrix, Shikigami 2, etc.).

So Sturmwind stays on top for me.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I haven't actually played Zero Gunner or Border Down. (Cannon Spike isn't a shmup).

I definitely DO prefer bullethell stuff though, you're right there. I'm also not generally big on horizontal shmups. That said, I think that Sturmwind is an amazing looking game. They managed to make a DC game look like a 360 game. Kudos. I didn't love the controls personally though, nor the power-up system. But I thought it was a lot of fun. We definitely just have different taste for sure.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

noiseredux wrote:(Cannon Spike isn't a shmup).

But we're including Geometry Wars, right? (Sorry, small brain fart.)

I definitely DO prefer bullethell stuff though, you're right there. I'm also not generally big on horizontal shmups. That said, I think that Sturmwind is an amazing looking game. They managed to make a DC game look like a 360 game. Kudos. I didn't love the controls personally though, nor the power-up system. But I thought it was a lot of fun. We definitely just have different taste for sure.

To me, that kind of detracts a bit from these lists. On the one hand, you do see where overlap happens, but on the other hand, if we were forced to separate horis from vertis and then bullet hell from non bullet hell etc., I think we'd get a cool set of lists, and perhaps a better idea of what's best depending on tastes. That might be entering into murky territory, though.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Ok, here is my top 10 list after much deliberation:

1. Pro Gear no Arashi (Pro Gear) - a brilliant blend of scoring and aesthetics with some of the most visually pleasing boss fights. Stage 4 - as you scroll vertically, but are still playing horizontally is just so so well done. I adore this game.

2. Deathsmiles - the character and background designs are the best in the genre. The music ties to each stage so well. The hitbox being so defined makes this a great entry level shmup. Going into hyper and sucking up those bright orange crowns is glorious.

3. Under Defeat - Oh man do I love this game. Scoring seems very basic, but big points are availalbe by killing in bunches and in order. The right weapon for the right enemy is crucial - especially on bosses. The directional shooting is done so well and feels natural. Brilliant graphics, especially the HD port.

4. DoDonPachi DFK 1.5 - This is another CAVE offering that at first seems overwhelming, but once you "get it", your on stage 5 boss. 3 unique playstyles and again, as often with CAVE, going into hyper is just brilliant colors and bullet canceling - and also like CAVE, knowing when to do it is crucial. Stage 5 turrets can still die a horrid death, but everything else is wonderful.

5. Dimahoo - In the hundreds, maybe thousands of shmups released now - there isn't a one that can touch the scoring system of Dimahoo. The item selction is so unique, and that you as the player can CONTROL which items are going to fall based on your activation power, the type of enemy, and your polarization - it is very cerebral and takes a lot to get it, but once you do, Karte is your friend. Killer soundtrack too.

6. EspRaDe - I'm torn here; I really like all of the Esp series of games, Galuda and Galuda II are fantastic, but I give the nod to the music in this game - the firing bullets back mechanic is tricky at first, but becomes intuitive.

7. Dragon Blaze - Dragon launch. Yes. Tech Bonus. Yes. Psikyo randomization and rank. Yes. There is nothing better than launching your dragon into a big enemy and letting him kill stuff for you, then just call him back and do it again - love this mechanic. Graphics are a bit dark and muddied or it'd be top 5.

8. Jamestown - extremely unique ship selection. Difficulty settings that not only change gameply, but really create entirely new games. Scoring is intuitive and simple, but still has difficulty, particularly on stage 3 and beyond. I am so impressed by this game and the music, even the attract music, is some of the best stuff in the entire genre.

9. Gunbird 2 - Everything that we like about Psikyo / Strikers series is here, just prettier. This is a deceptive game - one of those where you watch someone play and you wonder how they die...then you play, and realize those bullets are so deceptively fast. Medal chaining so easy...yet so difficult.

10. Zero Gunner 2 - Psikyo again - this is a mashup of Strikers and Under Defeat, or so it feels. 360 degree helicopter shooting on a vertically scrolling background. Traditional Psikyo Range and stage randomization.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

noiseredux wrote:

@Donny:

I love you, man. But shutting off the TV > Salamander 2. :twisted:

:lol: That's OK. I still don't get Deathsmiles.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

If we're drumming up interest and ideas for the tourney, I vote for a list of 100% easily emulated games. I'm guessing a vast majority of participants are visiting this website primarily on at least a modest PC/Laptop and will have one less reason to bow out of competing each week.

Also, it appears that nobody is willing to accept the Call of Duty series as being part of the shoot 'em up genre. That means I can't make a full list of ten favorites.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

In order to keep the non-scrolling shooters (Gagala and Centipede) off the list, I moved things up and added Soldier Blade and Thunder Force IV, with a couple honorable mentions.

I think Shienryu would be on the list, but I need to play it more. I'm also looking to acquire it, if anyone is interested in selling. :]
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

1. Zero Gunner 2 (easily and by far my most favorite shmup on DC. Fairly unique for its time and looks great even today)
2. Mars Matrix (game is tough, but it always brings me back for more with its amazing sountrack and charming 2D prerendered spritework visuals)
3. Under Defeat (another amazing looking title that I've played so many times on Dreamcast)
4. Space Megaforce (Far and away my fav SNES game. Catchy tunes, great levels, fun power ups!)
5. Sturmwind (this game blew away all my expectations for it. A great lil' indie title!)
6. Raiden Fighters Aces (Yes! Series as a whole)
7. Galactic Attack (a fun Saturn shmup)
8. R-Type (the one only classic)
9. Blazing Lazers (favorite TG-16 shmup.)
10. Dragon Spirit (played NES port alot as a kid. Love its amazing soundtrack)

So many others... -_-