Racketboy Top 10 All Time SHMUP List - 2016 Edition

2D Shooters Invade
mjmjr25

Re: Racketboy Top 10 SHMUP List - 2016 Edition

Post by mjmjr25 »

dsheinem wrote:Also, where are our previous editions?

Last one was in 2010 (from my search earlier) and it was intentionally left off for now so as to not influence...that and it was started by known forum pariah Japhei.

Now that i've said that - i'm sure some will search...so: HERE

Chaz did this one 3 years ago, a top 5, but a "final" top 5 was never tallied:
HERE

There are a handful of one-offs (top STEAM, MAME, PC, DOUJIN shmups, a starters guide to shmups, best undiscovered, top run 'n gun, best 8/16 bit shooters, etc) if anyone is interested.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Here's mine...

1. DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu - The best game in the best Cave series. I love the various arrange modes on the 360, and the game just oozes refined shmup design. Perfect.

2. Battle Garegga - Probably the most interesting and influential shmup ever made, and a hell of a lot of fun.

3. Lords of Thunder - My favorite 16-bit shmup and arguably the best soundtrack of any shmup ever.

4. Crimzon Clover - By far the best doujin game I've ever played, it feels like a lost cousin to the DoDonPachi series with a lot of interesting twists all its own.

5. Mushihimesama Futari - OMG the scoring system in this game is addictive. Brilliant design, beautiful aesthetics, and just another example of Cave at the top of their game.

6. Dragon Blaze - Easily the best Psikyo game. Complex and interesting system in an underused environment for the genre.

7. Truxton - My favorite Toaplan game, and one that can be enjoyed equally on the Genesis or on the arcade.

8. Ikaruga - Arguably the most fascinating thing Treasure has ever done, and one of the most devious mindfucks of a shmup ever concocted.

9. Gaiares - This was the first shmup I ever sunk serious time into (as a kid) and I still go back to it almost annually for the music, the large sprites, and the addictive weapon-stealing system.

10. Gradius V - The best game in a great series, and another homerun for Treasure.

As soon as I made this list I started feeling angsty about it as there are games I love that I think could easily be placed on here. I ended up only picking one game per series, though I probably could have put DoDonPachi and Gradius IV somewhere on a top 10 list too. Ibara probably should be in here, as should Dimahoo (both games I have love-hate relationships with).

This is hard, Mike! Please don't ask us to do this again for a while :lol:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Flake wrote:7 - Geometry Wars Galaxies

Not to be that guy...but this isn't a shmup.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Alright, after much thought (and reading old posts I've made) and looking up games to refresh my memory, I think I've got a solid list. There were several games I wanted to include for various reasons, but got the cut because they're ones I don't actually play as much as these 10. For instance, I think Chaos Field is brilliant and hugely underrated. It has amazing music, and I have always loved the boss rush concept. BUT... I play these other 10 games more. That might be #11. I also have a fondness for Sol-Feace but that's more because it was my first shmup. Deep down I guess I know it's not a great game. Mars Matrix has that genius one-button mechanic. Etc, etc. So yeah this list is totally aimed at being the 10 shmups that I actually enjoy playing the most *right now*...

1. Deathsmiles - this should surprise nobody. What more can I say? Great music, great art style, great boss battles, great scoring mechanics, great shooting... I adore this game. The fact that my #1 pick is the only horizontal shmup on my list should speak volumes to how perfect this game is. It's not just my favorite shmup, it's one of my favorite games ever. I never get sick of it. Just always enjoyable to me. Getting the 1CC is one of my absolute proudest gaming moments of all time.

2. Mushihimesama - not the deepest scoring, but such a pure experience. Like Deathsmiles, I absolutely love the art and music here. The color pallet alone is just so soothing. Just a totally gorgeous and elegantly simple game that just really makes me happy to play.

3. Mushihimesama Futari - Bug Princess kicks things up a notch. More complex than the original, but just as pretty.

4. Galaga - the OG that made me fall in love with shmups. Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of 'old school' shmups. This list should make it clear that my heart is generally with bullethells. But Galaga is so special to me. So simple, yet so perfect. The music makes me smile. If I were to ever own any cab, this would be it.

5. DoDonPachi Resurrection - there's so much stuff going on here. Flashy, fast, heart-pounding excitement. It's like a sensory overload that feels good.

6. DoDonPachi - fantastic bullethell. If I had to point to a game that seems to have influenced the shmups I love the most, this would be it. Certainly not as cerebral as titles that would follow. But fun as heck.

7. Triggerheart Excelica - seriously, this game is crazy cool. The weird mechanic where you grab enemies and throw them. So unique. Great spritework, and wonderful music. A total blast that I think is oft overlooked.

8. Shikigami No Shiru II - one of the first bullethells that I got into. And I think the highpoint of the series. Dig those tiny sprites. Love the variety of characters and playstyles to choose from. Really really interesting game. Oh and incredible soundtrack.

9. Jamestown - if you are on Steam and like shmups and don't own this game, you're doing it wrong. Almost baffling how this is a thing. A shmup about, well, Jamestown. An alternate history shmup? The way sci-fi and Americana are meshed is so weird. From the glowing pink and green bullets to the music that sounds like it should be in a commercial for "beef... it's what's for dinner." Really cool game, satisfying shooting, insanely huge bosses and wonderful controls.

10. Gunbird 2 - kind of a sore thumb on my list, no doubt. Again, not a fan of old school shooters so much. But Gunbird 2 seemed to fall into this little window of bridging the gap between old school and bullethell. It's no cakewalk with it's superfast tiny bullets and punch-you-in-the-junk rank system. But it's fast and exciting and has a really cool mechanic where you can do a sort of up-close attack that adds a lot to the strategy.
Flake

Post by Flake »

dsheinem wrote:
Flake wrote:7 - Geometry Wars Galaxies

Not to be that guy...but this isn't a shmup.

Oh?
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Dave - I like your list; the only one I don't care for is Truxton. I've never been a fan of long stage shooters. I also don't like games that can respawn you at very difficult sections without any powerups. That said, I know a lot of people love this one and it does have great music.

I'm glad to see Dragon Blaze in there. The Dragon launch mechanic is so unique AND well done. The alternation stage selections 1-4 with the Psikyo rank system where it doesn't really matter which "stage" it is, it just matters where it falls. Stage 1 and 2 will be easy, stage 3 will be moderate, stage 4 will be difficult, stage 5 will be insane...love it and it always keeps the game fresh. Oh oh, and Tech Bonuses on boss kills - yes please.

For those that like Triggerheart and Dragon Blaze because of those funky mechanics - I recommend Vasara and Guwange; both games use a somewhat similar mechanic and are very cerebral.

Brad - Love your list (never played Galaga though, but other than that...). You forget the coolest thing about Shiki no Shiro II...the bullet-grazing aspect. So so cool and the colors that emanate around you as they graze...its done so well, the visual almost gives off a real feeling of being grazed...it's outstanding. That and the SO unique characters - I recall playing that game and with some characters I can get to stage 5, with others only stage 2.

Collin - Geometry Wars is sort of in that Asteroids / Stardust category of shooter without like constant scrolling, long stages, sometimes no bosses. It's a shooter...but not what most would call a "shmup". The fear in letting those in to the conversation is if you allow Stardust...then you allow Robotron...then you allow Cannon Spike...then you allow Metal Slug...slippery slope and all, so really trying to focus slowling on scrolling vert / hori shooters.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

mjmjr25 wrote:Brad - Love your list (never played Galaga though, but other than that...). You forget the coolest thing about Shiki no Shiro II...the bullet-grazing aspect. So so cool and the colors that emanate around you as they graze...its done so well, the visual almost gives off a real feeling of being grazed...it's outstanding. That and the SO unique characters - I recall playing that game and with some characters I can get to stage 5, with others only stage 2.

good call. The bullet grazing is really really awesome. Not just for the (self-imposed) tension it creates, but because that will also inform your playstyle due to the risk/reward... coupled with the vastly differing characters. Just a lot of ways to approach the game.

How you've never played Galaga is kind of beyond me. Though I'm not certain how it would feel to someone playing it for the first time who's already spent hundreds of hours playing bullethells...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Does Bangai-O count as a shmup?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alienjesus wrote:Does Bangai-O count as a shmup?

no.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I'm not sure I can come up with 10 I've played enough to bother listing :lol:

Not that I havent played more than 10 shmups, just that a lot of them I either haven't played in enough depth or I don't think deserve to be on the list.