RACKET STGT: Week 1: ECO FIGHTERS

2D Shooters Invade
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: RACKET STGT: Week 1: ECO FIGHTERS

Post by dunpeal2064 »

mjmjr25 wrote:I'm prepared to take the Shmup Card of anyone who mentions Pro Gear and Eco Fighters in the same sentence. #nobluetext

Now you know how I felt when Under Defeat and Ketsui were mentioned in the same sentence :wink:

(Not saying Eco is on par with UD)

So, concerning the Pork Mame thing: I'm going to spend the next few days playing the port and Mame rom back to back, and before week 3 ends I'll post a video of me playing through the first 3 stages in the port, and a separate video of me playing through in mame.

The hard part is playing both games nearly identical, so that slowdown should happen the same. I'm going to have to stick to a route pretty strictly, so that will take some practice. Luckily, the port lets you save replays, so I just have to copy my own play.

Then I'll post a vid of the 360 replay going at the same time as I play the Mame rom, and I'll let you guys vote on whether you think the scores should be compared in the same score board. I don't think I can impartially judge it (And wouldn't expect you to just take my word on it with no proof), since I would be trying to find reasons that they should be comparable, as I want everyone and their mother to play this game.
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

I was trying it out on UME earlier. Both MMP and Pink Sweets start off a bit slow, but it's only for a few seconds at the start of Stage 1 (before anything really happens). After that, both seem to run at 100%.

As for the slowdown, there's also the Blitter Delay option, which reportedly gets it closer to the PCB if you set it at around 61-66%. Probably worth fiddling around with that a bit to see how it feels.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Yeah, Pork and Sweets both stutter a bit at the beginning, and before some of the midbosses and bosses, but in no points where you can score (Or even die, really)

I'm playing the first 3 stages (I honestly can't consistently stick to a route in Stage 4 right now, so all my comparisons will be in the first 3 stages) with Blitter set at 63%. I'll probably be doing this most of the day, and then I'm going to bump it up to 64% and see if it gets closer without crossing the line.

My main goal is to get it as close as possible, without ever adding too much slowdown (Thus making the game easier). Imo, if the game is close but a tad harder, it should be considered comparable.

Also, if you want to get Pork practice in early, the "arcade" game is version 1.00 in the port. 1.01 is a sort of re-working to make the game a little easier, like a console remake of the board. Similar to SDOJ 1.5, which never appeared in arcades.

So far I can pretty confidently say that, slowdown aside, the mame rom and 1.00 360 port (and PCB, if any of you are badass enough to be playing this way) are comparable. I'll leave it up to you guys to decide just how similar the games have to be to be comparable (Anyone who says 100% can toss their entire 360 catalog out the window :P )
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

Smallest improvement ever. If I didn't have to work tonight I might get stage 5. Oh well.

544,000 - Skate323k137 - Team NES - Stage 4 - PS2

Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

8.5 more hours until Mars Matrix...get those last minute scores in!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I am so excited... the Racket STGT starts in 8.5 hrs!
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

noiseredux wrote:I am so excited... since I didn't post a score, I have volunteered to tally the scores at midnight tonight!

Yr the best!

noise r. shrutux wrote:I didn't join STGT to make friends. And for the record, I haven't.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

no problem. When midnight strikes, you guys just sit tight and wait for me. Patiently.
SpoonyBard
128-bit

Post by SpoonyBard »

I've been staring at this game for almost three hours straight now trying to get a somewhat respectable score before this week ends. I'm so tired of seeing Dr. Moly.

I started finally having fun with this game about halfway through todays session, and that died very quickly.

457,500 - SpoonyBard - Columbian High Ballers - Stage 3 - MAME

0013.png
0013.png (6.42 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Dr. Moly > Al Gore

Nice score, Justin. This game is not easy at first - not by any stretch. Lots of nice scores this week, the STGT group should be proud.

For those w/team mates whom haven't posted, make sure they get SOMETHING posted, even 100pts will beat the no shows.