2D Shooters Invade
Genesis Knight
32-bit

Re: Blast Wind - High Score Thread

by Genesis Knight Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:05 pm

I just bought this game. Would love to play for score with you guys. Best of my first session:

I keep dying stupidly on the bosses, need more practice. One thing I noticed with score is that if you hit the orange blobby enemies (there are some in the first stage) with your homing shot they will swell and then pop - if you do this you get a 1000 pt dollar sign. But you can often accidentally kill them before they swell to full size, in which case you get nothing.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:11 pm

Welcome! Thanks for the tip on the orange globs, I knew they were taking more shots than other enemies, makes sense now.

@Pierrot - I see you have a space on the scoreboard after the numbers - I assume this is because the number 8 position makes a "cool" face. You can put the parenthesis right next to the numbers, just check the "disable smilies" box when you submit the post.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Yeah, getting past stage 3 boss is huge for the points - nice 60K bonus on him and then stage 4 is mostly a farm, it has difficult stretches but plenty of points to be had. Hit both switches (or was it 3?) and you'll hit the section where you just blast and it rains coins and (2) free guys - they fall fast, so be ready for 'em.

Stage 1 - take the path to the right - there is an extra bomb AND a pod that shoots stuff for you. It's a bit tougher, but about an extra 20K in points plus the bomb and pod.

Stage 2 - both paths seem to be about equal points and difficulty, but the alternate path (hitting the switch), seems to be an easier boss.

Stage 3 - the alternate path is super short, but the last 60 seconds is a full on boss rush, move up the screen at a fast clip, avoiding the boss and obstacles. I recommend the longer path (w/o hitting the switch) for more points and a much easier boss.

Stage 4 - hit all the switches, I think it was 3. Things happen fast, but if you're powered up it's pretty manageable. There is a farm section at the last 3rd, but be careful, there are still missiles falling at you, so be sure to avoid them as you grab the coins, etc. Boss is long, not horribly difficult, but he's super close to you and takes awhile - you'll be tempted to dodge, but I recommend using up your bombs before trying - nothing more frustrating w/dying on a boss w/multiple bombs.

Stage 5 - mini boss at start of stage, when he splits, be sure to switch to homing weapon to get the pods that break off behind you. The stage itself plays fairly easy, fast, but again, if you're powered up, you'll hit most stuff.

1,730,780 - mjmjr25 - 5-2 - SAT-J

pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Good stuff, guys. Is it all of those ballooning enemies that drop the dollar signs? I know the four that are set up just past the stage 1 switch can be blown up for dollar signs, but I hit that wall in front of them with the main shot, and they follow the wall, blowing them up for dollar signs.

I've gotten six bombs in stock by the end of the first stage (partly by luck) by: blowing the grate off the right side when the second gun wielding robot flies up before the switch; the roulette capsule on the second path; the enemy just before the roulette capsule that can drop up to a full power-up, option, and bomb; the top capsule of the three power-up capsules right before the 1-2 boss.

The bosses can be deceptively difficult at times. Not unmanageable at all, since the patterns are pretty simple. They just get you with stuff by surprise a lot, in the beginning. I may as well mention that the 5-2 boss in his first form is a pushover. Don't let it lull you into a false sense of security, as the second form has a homing shot, and two orb helpers that continually respawn.

mjmjr25 wrote:@Pierrot - I see you have a space on the scoreboard after the numbers - I assume this is because the number 8 position makes a "cool" face. You can put the parenthesis right next to the numbers, just check the "disable smilies" box when you submit the post.

Yeah, that was what I did. :oops: Fixed the op.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:02 pm

I see you're listing our ship (I think?) as "Kyo"? Is there another ship option? I haven't messed w/the options menu, or is it something hidden, like pushing up while hitting start?
Genesis Knight
32-bit

by Genesis Knight Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:21 pm

Use controller port two. The red ship is MUCH weaker, though, and getting a high score considerably more difficult.
Genesis Knight
32-bit

by Genesis Knight Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:21 pm

Choked on the final boss sadly. Thanks for the afterburner tip haha or I wouldn't have even made it in. Hate those sorts of tricks.

pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:44 pm

Dag, yo. That's an impressive score. I thought (hoped) you got the all on that. I think the All Clear bonus is 1,000,000 points. Not positive of that, though.

I guess I'll have to get back to work on this one.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:47 pm

That is some rapid improvement, wow. I hit 6-1 earlier but my score was actually lower, 1.6mil - starting to find the best path to scoring though.
Genesis Knight
32-bit

by Genesis Knight Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Thanks! Yeah, I figured out a couple of the bosses but the last two stages were very sloppy. :? That one midboss in stage 5 - the one that has the chains that pull it up into the play field - kicked my butt and I used two bombs on him. Yuck. It'll probably be a while before I have an all clear - I didn't even get to see any of the final boss patterns.

Edit Sunday:

Played for, like, 2 hours today. Only beat my last high score ONCE, ugh:

Still sticking with the *-1 route. Best part of this game is hitting the switch on Stage 6 and nuking that bot with the big laser cannon. So satisfying.

Edit Sunday 2:

Yay, All Clear!

Return to Shmups