Formats: Arcade, PS2
Settings: Arcade Mode/Normal

1. 937,900 - mjmjr25 - stage 2 boss - PCB
2. 820,650 - noiseredux - Stage 2 - PS2
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Ibara Hi-Score Thread

Post by pierrot »

Oh~ snap. No you did not. Am I gonna have to jump onto my copy of Ibara right this second, sir?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

me and mjmjr25 were talking about playing this, so instead of PM's I figured I'd post here...

I finally put some real runs in on the most expensive game I've bought to date. :lol:

Man playing a vertical shmup YOKO on a CRT is kind of killing me. I'm so used to sitting up close to my LCD. I might have to plug the PS2 into the NextVision just so I can TATE.

Anyway, I'm hitting about 650k after a few runs, but I'm not sure I understand all that much yet.

1. Is there only one ship to choose from? Seems that way.

2. I think there's only 2 buttons? Shoot (rapid) and a Special. Bombs seem to be auto-bomb at death.

3. The Special seems to cancel bullets, but you seem to need to build up your Special between uses?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

pierrot wrote:Oh~ snap. No you did not. Am I gonna have to jump onto my copy of Ibara right this second, sir?

Actually YOU are a great person to be in this thread. Start transcribing that manual for those of us who have Japanese Demystified on our bookshelves but haven't gotten past Chapter 1... :oops:
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

noiseredux wrote:
pierrot wrote:Oh~ snap. No you did not. Am I gonna have to jump onto my copy of Ibara right this second, sir?

Actually YOU are a great person to be in this thread. Start transcribing that manual for those of us who have Japanese Demystified on our bookshelves but haven't gotten past Chapter 1... :oops:

:lol: All right. The thing about manuals for shmups, though is most of them say nothing about scoring mechanics; just basic controls, options, modes of play, etc. Sometimes some story. I could summarize that.

I haven't really played Ibara in a while, and I've only played it in the arcade (still haven't popped my PS2 version in) but there should be a second ship in the form of the second player. I think you can select it in the PS2 version, although it might just be the Black Label mode. (I forgot what the mode is called in the PS2 port.)

What I know about stock Ibara is pretty much: Bomber the hell out of everything, whenever possible.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Nice. Getting this set up right now...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

pierrot wrote:What I know about stock Ibara is pretty much: Bomber the hell out of everything, whenever possible.

right right - as far as I can tell, bullet cancelling and power-up thingy collection is key. I'm guessing that collecting shit recharges your bomb faster? How can you tell when you can bomb again?
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

There are little bomb items you collect (think Battle Garegga) you should only need one to bomb, but there's a little tracker around the bottom, and the more you collect, the more powerful the bomb is. I'm pretty sure that anytime you bomb it uses all the bombs you have, unless you have multiple large bombs, which show up as larger bomb icons, and take 40 of the small bombs to collect. From what I've seen of other people playing, keeping rank down and scoring require a lot of chaining bombers on large groups of enemies by continually picking up a small bomb item, then bombing again.

Also, I was looking through the manual, and most of it is standard information, but I guess there are a few differences between 1p and 2p ship: 1p is fast, direct shot, wide and quick bomb; 2p is slower, wide shot, slow and lingering bomb.

There's also a hold bomb, but I don't really remember its utility.

I realized that I have the walkthrough bonus book, but I haven't looked too closely at it yet. I'll thumb through it at some point and see what it has to say. It seems like a full walkthrough of the game, though....
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Is there a bomb?

I just did 3 runs, best is 900K at 2nd boss.

Here is what I can tell. The stationary things you collect are what power up your cancel meter (bottom left of screen). The big stationary things are weapon upgrades. The things that fall to you i'm not sure yet, some are power up, some are just points? I can't tell if there is chaining yet.

A button - shot
B button - bullet cancel (if you have the energy to do so)

Any other buttons? Not that I can tell so far...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

just auto-bomb I think Mike.

And yeah just 2 buttons from what I can tell.

Oh and yeah, Rank is hardcore in this one I think.

Had a killer run - w/ no hits until 2nd boss. And then beefed it hard on 2nd boss. :\

This def has that classic CAVE thing where first few runs you're like "what teh fuck is going on?" and a few more runs you're like "I'm the greatest shmupper to ever shmup!"

820,650 - noiseredux - Stage 2 - PS2